Hey dudes I've recently just bought an Ibanez RG with an edge Zero II tremelo system. Since its my first guitar with a floating bridge I've made a realy bad rooky mistake, while restringing I took off all the strings at once, which caused the bridge to sink all the way down, then while the bridge was still in that state I put on the new set of strings. So now my action is so low that the strings dont sound, and adjusting the action bolts on the top of the bridge only seems to raise the front section of the bridge. Is it possible to raise the whole bridge from out of the hole with the strings still on? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I need the guitar in working condition quite soon.

(Guitar shops and techs aren't realy an option atm due to it being Christmas time)
Open the back and loosen the claw so the springs are looser, stop when the bridge is flush with the body. Also, I hope you weren't adjusting the two tremolo posts to try and raise the strings, that can really ****-up your knife edges. In the meantime, read up on floating bridges and learn how to set them up. It's not too hard and if you're going to own a guitar with a floating bridge it's really stuff you should know! Hope you like the new guitar!
Last edited by Strats&Cats at Dec 23, 2011,
Your problem is that you have an Edge trem... If you loosen all of the strings enough you might be able to re-set the bridge in the right position, otherwise it sounds like you put a different gage of string on and now you have to remove a back spring from the other side of the trem
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Your gonna need a set up from somewhere good. I wouldn't attempt anything yourself.
This is exactly what i did with mine. Fortunatly i know someone who was able to sort it out for me..
Quote by Strats&Cats
Open the back and loosen the claw so the springs are looser, stop when the bridge is flush with the body. Also, I hope you weren't adjusting the two tremolo posts to try and raise the strings, that can really ****-up your knife edges. In the meantime, read up on floating bridges and learn how to set them up. It's not too hard and if you're going to own a guitar with a floating bridge it's really stuff you should know! Hope you like the new guitar!

Awesome thanks for the help man, what do you mean by the claw?
Quote by zbest
Your problem is that you have an Edge trem... If you loosen all of the strings enough you might be able to re-set the bridge in the right position, otherwise it sounds like you put a different gage of string on and now you have to remove a back spring from the other side of the trem

The Edge Zero II is by far the best Edge trem ever. I have one and it never goes out, no matter how hard I abuse it.

TS did you put a new set of strings on? If it's sitting too low then you need to adjust the spring tension in the back. Release some of the tension slowly (atleast one or two turns at a time) and tune to the desired tuning until you get it level. The best way to restring with an EZ II is to do one string at a time. You won't lose tension at all and makes it a whole let less hassle free.

Quote by Biffman

The EZ II doesn't have a claw, it has the Ibanez wheel system. It has an indicator for plus or minus, to loosen tension go to minus, to increase tension go to plus.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Biffman

Well... most floating terms have a claw but according to Eppicurt, the Edge Zero 2 has a wheel. So you're going to want to turn that towards the minus sign.
Its still an edge trem :/ I dont trust them honestly but thats my opinion. Wouldn't trade an original floyd rose for anything
Quote by zbest
Its still an edge trem :/ I dont trust them honestly but thats my opinion. Wouldn't trade an original floyd rose for anything

Have you ever used/owned an EZ II before?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Have you ever used/owned an EZ II before?

Not the ez II specifically but I have used the edge 3 and while it was set up properly, it couldnt hold a tuning for more then a song and it was absolutly horrible with dive bombs and bends
So after I've released the tention with the wheel, will the bridge just raise its self? Or do I tune to my desired tuning while releasing tention to get the bridge up to where it needs to be?
Quote by Biffman
So after I've released the tention with the wheel, will the bridge just raise its self? Or do I tune to my desired tuning while releasing tention to get the bridge up to where it needs to be?

Are you in a different tuning then before or are using different strings?
Quote by zbest
Not the ez II specifically but I have used the edge 3 and while it was set up properly, it couldnt hold a tuning for more then a song and it was absolutly horrible with dive bombs and bends

The Edge III sucked.

The EZ II rules.

Quote by Biffman

Yes, however the pitch will drop. You then tune up witch will increase the tension and pull up on the bridge. Keep doing this until you get it, it will take a while.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Okay cool awesome thanks so much for the help, @ Zbest, the guitar was set in standard tuning, I mucked around in that for a while then put on a heavier set of strings to tune to C sharp.
Oh and I have a RG 370 DXZL which is the left handed model, it doesn't have the minus and plus indication on the back plate, which way is which?
Its happened to me before where the bridge wasnt "in" properly and I had to reset it but honestly it seems like it was the string change. I take it you went from like a .09 to .13? I dont think the strings are giving enough tension so you have to loosen the springs to compensate

Edit: like I said I'm not too good at the Edges, that one scared me away
stock set to a a set of 10's to 52's, not ideal for C sharp I know but its the heaviest I could get at the time.
Quote by Biffman
Oh and I have a RG 370 DXZL which is the left handed model, it doesn't have the minus and plus indication on the back plate, which way is which?

Then it's not an EZ II.

It's most likely an Edge III.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
No trust me its an Edge Zero II. Brand new and it said on the bridge Edge Zero II
Quote by zbest

The Edge 3 is a pretty bad comparison to every other Edge trem. It would be like saying "I played a mexican strat and it wasn't that great, therefor everything fender makes isn't that great".

If I had to give a list of Floyd Rose trems in terms of quality, I'd probably put it like this (IMO, obviously):

Original Edge>OFR>Edge 2/Edge Zero/Edge Zero 2>Good Licensed FR's>Edge 3>Everything Else

Just be a bit more open minded
Quote by Biffman
No trust me its an Edge Zero II. Brand new and it said on the bridge Edge Zero II

This is what the back of an Edge Zero II looks like. If you haven't got this, then it's not an Edge Zero II.

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
...then you have the wheel then.

EDIT: Hang on, I may have misunderstood. Sorry it's late. Left is plus, right is minus.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Dec 23, 2011,
Yeah dude I know I have the wheel, I dont have the plus minus indicator on the back plate so I'm not realy sure which is which.
I have a edge 3 system, it is always in tune, even when not played for a week its still in tune. It stays in all the time.

Get it set up properly and you will never have issues.

If you change string gauge, or even make you can have troubles with them being too low or high due to different tensions, even if only by a small amount.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Never tried a edge zero trem but i feel for ya man i did the same thing when i switched the strings on one of my rgs took me awhile to get it right again.
as i switched to .10 gauge im not able to tune my guitar properly in standard tuning..... bridge is coming up of the level what should i do now?? i tightened the screws, 3springs has been installed still......im using rgir27e Bridge: Gibraltar Standard II-7 Bridge
Last edited by budha95aditya at Dec 28, 2016,
Quote by Strats&Cats
The Edge 3 is a pretty bad comparison to every other Edge trem. It would be like saying "I played a mexican strat and it wasn't that great, therefor everything fender makes isn't that great".

If I had to give a list of Floyd Rose trems in terms of quality, I'd probably put it like this (IMO, obviously):

Original Edge>OFR>Edge 2/Edge Zero/Edge Zero 2>Good Licensed FR's>Edge 3>Everything Else

Just be a bit more open minded

You forgot edge pro and low pro edge.
Ibanez edge bridges are awesome.
Lo trs and edge 3 are total suckage.