Hey everyone, I've got a Fender Jaguar with two humbuckers but the bridge pick-up just isn't high output for what I need. I need something that can handle thrash metal and newer metal-core stuff like Bullet for My Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold but hopefully has a decent clean sound as switching pick-ups isn't as quick on a Jaguar. Also, I'm using a Marshall DSL 401 and a Boss ME25 if it makes any difference. So, any suggestions?

tl;dr - I need a higher output bridge pick-up, suggest please
Active or passive? If you're OK with active you could look at EMG 81, or some people like the 85. You could also try Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Id prefer to stay away from active, just because its so hard to get the scratchplate off to change battery's, I literally need to take the pick-ups out :/ I'm using a Marshall DSL 401, It's a 40 watt valve combo but I'm using a multi-effects pedal for the distortion
At the moment I'm leaning towards a Seymour Duncan Invader but I've also heard a lot of good things about the JBs
Quote by Minimallamb
Id prefer to stay away from active, just because its so hard to get the scratchplate off to change battery's, I literally need to take the pick-ups out :/ I'm using a Marshall DSL 401, It's a 40 watt valve combo but I'm using a multi-effects pedal for the distortion

Why are you using the ME for distortion? The DSL has plenty of different distortion sounds that you can create. I have that same amp and it's far more than enough, packs lots of "useless" distortion for me. I got it because it has got 2 channels for a reason. Besides, the ME25 most likely makes the amp also sound really digital. I'd use it only for delay and chorus, that kind of stuff.

Quote by Minimallamb
At the moment I'm leaning towards a Seymour Duncan Invader but I've also heard a lot of good things about the JBs

The Invader is really high output and I don't really like it's cleans. While the SD JB is good, it's not a master in any genre there is. I'd say that maybe Duncan SH-5 could do the trick. It's a bit darker than JB.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Dec 23, 2011,
How much can you spend? I would suggest looking into some bare knuckles
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by avenge the rage
How much can you spend? I would suggest looking into some bare knuckles

The rebel yell is a sweet pickup
]
For metal try th nailbomb, miracle man or aftermath
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Thanks, I'll look into that. And yeah, its doesn't sound fantastic, that's why I'm looking for higher output pick-ups, because the distortion sounds quite fuzzy. sounds more like Led Zeppelin than Metallica, i love the sound but its not one that I need for the heaver stuff. Its my first valve amp so I don't know too much about it, could the fuzzy sound come form the setting or from old valves instead?
I don't have a budget, I was just going to wait until I've got enough money to get the right one. I like the look of Bare Knuckles but I don't have a guitar shop anywhere that stocks them so I can only go by what's on the site
Quote by Minimallamb
Thanks, I'll look into that. And yeah, its doesn't sound fantastic, that's why I'm looking for higher output pick-ups, because the distortion sounds quite fuzzy. sounds more like Led Zeppelin than Metallica, i love the sound but its not one that I need for the heaver stuff. Its my first valve amp so I don't know too much about it, could the fuzzy sound come form the setting or from old valves instead?

My sound with the DSL isn't really fuzzy at all, just good valve distortion. Though, my pickups aren't the same as in Jaguars, but they're not really high output either.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Hmmm... I think hey're Fender Enforcer pick-ups. Would you be able to tell me the settings you have on the amp so I can see if I've just set my up wrong?