Hey,

So I just picked up a used ESP M-II NTB and it's my first experience with owning a FR. It has a FR original btw. From what I can tell, the guitar seemed to be in perfect condition when I bought it, but I knew something was up with the Floyd. I was told the previous owner is a repeat customer who has to much money to spend and doesn't really even play his guitars, so they basically just sit in their case. Now, I'm going on the assumption that he had tried to work with the FR and that he didn't really know what he was doing... Which leads me to my problem. Again, I noticed the FR wasn't quite set up right and that I'd have to do a little work on the guitar before It would be in great shape, once again. After owning it for a few days, I've adjusted it to correct most of the issues, but I'm noticing it's having some issues staying in tune and with fine tuning it to perfection.

I'm not certain what's up, but hopefully someone can enlighten me a bit. Do FR usually have issues with tuning to perfection? Is there a common issue that would prevent it from staying in tune for a good long while? It have a hunch that it may be that the strings need changing, as I've yet to try that, but I thought I'd ask around a bit before going through the re-stringing process.
FRs will go out of tune unless they're set up perfectly, but once they are they'll rarely need further setup. They can stay on for months and keep in tune.
What you want to do is make sure the bridge is level with the body and both ends are at the same height off of the body when the strings are in tune. As soon as you change one of the string tensions, the whole bridge will move and that could mean redoing the bridge adjustment all over again. Note that if you have new strings, they'll want to stretch out and that's going to mean redoing the whole cycle all over again aswell.

If the FR base isn't flush with the body, do the following:
Set up the height with the 2side bolts, set the spring tension by undoing the backplate and either adding springs, removing springs or more likely (if you're keeping standard tuning) adjust the really big screws attached to the spring. That sounds confusing, so definately view some youtube vids on setting up a FR- it'll help a ton more than words.

TL;DR It really does have to be spot on before it stays in tune.

Might have helped.. I hope it did :/
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
In addition to the above, put some chap stick on the blades of the FR. Tuning is an iterative process. You have to keep tuning each string over and over until they are all correct.
I haven't taken a level to it, but it appears to be perfectly aligned with the body. I should probably elaborate a bit. I can get it fine tuned fairly easily, although getting the strings to tune perfectly seems to be a chore, but after playing for a while, I can hear the guitar starting to go out of tune. The Floyd is leveled, the nut is locked down properly and I fine tune each string until the entire guitar is in tune, yet it still goes out of tune with relative ease. I don't whammy very often either.
new strings? make sure you give the bar a good workout before you even bother tuning to make sure the strings are stretched out all the way.

Once you start tuning, it can be a hassle. Adjusting one string will cause the others to shift slightly off. The way I usually do it is to tune the low E and A a bit sharp... like 10-15 cents. Then the D and G a little less sharp... like 5-7 cents. Then the B and high E right on tune. If I do it right, all the strings will be perfect on the first try. Sometimes I have to make minor adjustments, but it usually works out pretty well for me.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes