you're singing the wrong way? Sometimes, after a singing session I usually feel a tad hoarse in my throat, like I've been screaming. Is that normal? (This questions feel stupid to say the least, but I just want to know XD). It doesn't hurt whatsoever though, and my speaking voice isn't affected either.
Nope, any pain means you're doing it wrong.

Quote by drteletubbie
like I've been screaming.

Screaming also doesn't make you hoarse unless you're doing it wrong.

Get a singing instructor, that's the only advice I can give as personal instruction is your best option.
Quote by BloodReverence
Nope, any pain means you're doing it wrong.

Screaming also doesn't make you hoarse unless you're doing it wrong.

Get a singing instructor, that's the only advice I can give as personal instruction is your best option.

When you started out playing guitar and after a few hours your fingers hurt, does that mean you were doing it wrong?

Pain is normal reaction of your body as a sign that you should stop whatever you are doing to prevent permanent damage to whatever muscles you are using. Vocal chords are the same muscles as any. Just wait until pain goes away.

But generally, I don't think you should experience actual PAIN, rather that your voice is weak, like after coughing a lot.
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
But generally, I don't think you should experience actual PAIN, rather that your voice is weak, like after coughing a lot.

So what was the point of arguing with me when you made the same point...?
Quote by BloodReverence
So what was the point of arguing with me when you made the same point...?

My point is not your point.
You said you should not experience actual pain, I said, if you experience pain then it's wrong.

It's basically the same friggin thing.

Also, your guitar analogy would work if the voice wasn't a COMPLETELY UNIQUE instrument and has it's own set of rules. Your voice is not supposed to hurt at ANY point of singing, if it does that means you are using bad technique and are straining your voice.

This is why I suggested to get a vocal coach as they would be able to teach him correct technique and he would be able to sing without hurting himself.
If your voice hurts, or sounds hoarse afterwards, then you're not doing it right. Get someone to show you some technique.

As far as the comparison to guitar goes.... if you're feeling muscular pain and cramping, then you are still doing it wrong. As your technique improves, those things go away, or at least take a hell of a lot longer to surface. Of course, your technique won't improve if you keep "practicing" the same way. You need to practice it differently - correctly.

There is a difference between that and the pain experienced by beginning players on the ends of their fingers. That pain is a result of applying force to an object outside the body. That doesn't happen in singing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
This used to happen to me a lot. It turns out that i wasn't opening my throat properly while singing so it would mess with my vocal chords so my voice would become hoarse after a few minutes.
^ Interesting that you say that. The very first step in formally learning proper technique is to open the throat.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Chicorancer
This used to happen to me a lot. It turns out that i wasn't opening my throat properly while singing so it would mess with my vocal chords so my voice would become hoarse after a few minutes.

Could it go as far as damaging the vocal chords permanently when you are not properly opening the throat?

Funny thing is, I never get hoarse when I perform in front of people, but whenever I sing for myself it does after a few minutes...
It might be damaging if you continue but i saw that it was messing with my voice a lot so i eventually opened it up myself. If it doesn't while y our performing around a lot of people its probably because you are opening up your through more while singing louder rather than keeping it tight while you are probably singing quieter while alone.
If you're voice hurts after singing but doesn't last and doesn't give you too much trouble otherwise then you're probably (note probably) using your false vocal chords which are muscle tissue and not your true vocal chords which are connective tissue controlled by the muscles around your larynx. There's probably some constriction in your voice and you can learn to sing without it.
Sing the way that you normally do and then try and sing opera style, if you feel a tightness in your larynx compared to the opera stuff then you may be feeling that constriction.
Best way to find out is to get a teacher who knows what they are talking about so that they can hear what you sound like and find ways around it.