I have a Japanese mustang bass white, tort, flats etc. I got it for free a year or so ago and I really loved the bass, smooth lovely neck, finish. and it was free!

Now I spent $90 on a bronco and a $30 on a rail pickup, and rewired it my own way, and the mustang just seems so flat and one dimensional. I set the tone knob 3/4 to the bassy side and get a nice vintage thump, but even the bronco with rounds does that with better definition.

I kind of want to trade it for a G&L tribute L2000, is that an even trade? Also what is the difference in the tribute and the real thing? Musicians friend lists everything about the tribute and offers like 6 colors, the real double the money l2000 has one color and like a 3 sentence description?

Also, this is probably stupid, but most cabs have 2 jacks, can I plug say my stereo amp into it, a channel per jack. I know that probably sounds retarded, I just wondered if I did say 16ohm out on each channel into both sides of an 8 ohm cab. Also is 60 watts from a tube amp underpowering a 350 or 200 watt cab to the point of damage?
Quote by askrere
Also what is the difference in the tribute and the real thing? Musicians friend lists everything about the tribute and offers like 6 colors, the real double the money l2000 has one color and like a 3 sentence description?

The specs are pretty similar. USA G&Ls have alder bodies, and swamp ash on the premier or transparent finishes. Tributes also have swamp ash on transparent finishes, but basswood on opaque finishes. Another difference is that USA G&Ls have an ultra-lite type tuning machine, and brass saddles (chrome plated) on the bridge. Tributes have a more standard open back tuning machine and nickel plated die-cast saddles. Also, I'm pretty sure the nut material on the USA ones is nicer then the plastic nut on the Tributes.

The Tributes are nice, the QC is very consistent, and they're some of the best import basses around. That being said, US made G&Ls are just on that higher level with their EBMM and MIA Fender brethren. The hardware is slightly better, they're going to use nicer cuts of wood, the finishes will generally be better, and there's more attention to detail going into them when they're made.

Quote by askrere
I kind of want to trade it for a G&L tribute L2000, is that an even trade?

Well I see Mustangs selling usually for around $450-$500 lately. Tributes can run a tad expensive on eBay, but on the Talkbass classifieds and craigslist they pop up between $300 and $500. Take those as you will.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Dec 23, 2011,
+1 to what Tostitos said

Tribbys are pretty damn similar to their MiA counterparts. The big benefit of a US G&L is that when you buy new, you get a ton of options... specifically neck size and color. (Go to G&L's site... not musician's friend)

Tributes, however, have fewer color options, and are always with the more P-type neck.

I'd say it'd be a pretty even trade... IF you can find someone that wants to trade.

If you like the versatility of the L2k but want MiA Quality.... look for a Peavey Rudy Sarzo signature bass. Totally boutique quality, with a used price in the Tribute's range. I dig their more jazz-like necks better than the Tribby L2k also.

How's that Hotrail'd Bronco treating ya?

The person that "bought" mine from me when i was having some financial troubles the other month just GAVE it back to me, yesterday, as a christmas gift... i'm giging it tonight!

Also... maybe try some different strings before you give up on the Mustang... i always preferred rounds on a Mustang. The flats i tried with it (LaBellas and Chromes) just didn't seem to like the string-through bridge.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
+1 to what Tostitos said

Tribbys are pretty damn similar to their MiA counterparts. The big benefit of a US G&L is that when you buy new, you get a ton of options... specifically neck size and color. (Go to G&L's site... not musician's friend)

Tributes, however, have fewer color options, and are always with the more P-type neck.

I'd say it'd be a pretty even trade... IF you can find someone that wants to trade.

If you like the versatility of the L2k but want MiA Quality.... look for a Peavey Rudy Sarzo signature bass. Totally boutique quality, with a used price in the Tribute's range. I dig their more jazz-like necks better than the Tribby L2k also.

How's that Hotrail'd Bronco treating ya?

The person that "bought" mine from me when i was having some financial troubles the other month just GAVE it back to me, yesterday, as a christmas gift... i'm giging it tonight!

Also... maybe try some different strings before you give up on the Mustang... i always preferred rounds on a Mustang. The flats i tried with it (LaBellas and Chromes) just didn't seem to like the string-through bridge.

I really would only want a natural gloss with a maple neck, that just looks like the best style bass to me, and I have no qualms with a P neck. That rudy Sarzo sounds nice, but is ugly as sin to me so dunno.

The bronco is amazing, I liked the idea of one but until you got yours and modified it I was hesitant, because anytime I brought it up I was knocked for the idea. I got a GFS 10k, (I wired this and it came out the opposite of what I was thinking) it's wired with a .0015 cap always on that that I thought would take the brittle highs and string noise out at all times, but it actually is a high pass filter, and cuts the boomy lows for a always present middy bright growl. then I have a switchable .1 cap that I thought would be the highpass filter, but it's a lowpass opps, so I get a nice kind of squashed low mid, remaining lows feel, then my volume and tone are 500k audio (a must on any instrument to me) and a .033 cap on the tone.

Through my GK MB200 it's got a nice growl and thump with my switch engaged. With my new Peavey 60/60 tube pwr amp, and Crate TDP tube pre, that thing breathes fire (the whole amp setups was $225). So yes I love it at $90 +$30ish for the pickups and pots. Also That thing was listed in the pawnshop for years at $120 and they made it $150 and I told them that was a poor price. For sitting in a window for years, the intonation was better than any bass or guitar I've recieved, and the tuners are fine and I'm still using the old strings after an alcohol bath.

Whew, and lastly I had rounds on the mustang, then went to rotosound medium scale flats. Some people say the pickups lacking compared to an original, very small magnet or something. I might do some slapback esquire recordings and use it on them though, since it basically does vintage thump thump only. I really don't want to get rid of it, but it's falling rapidly out of use, thanks to you and your Bronco love I suppose