Page 1 of 2
I play mostly metallica, and i was thinking about buying an epiphone explorer 1984 reissue with EMG pickups, but im not so sure about the shape... it looks to ''attention whorish'' is a les paul (doesnt have to be a gibson) good for metallica with EMG pickups in it, and can you play fast riff on it?

and if so, can you recommend me 1?

yes im lazy to such so many things on the internet, sorry

EDIT : The prophecy is a new guitar, yes, but its 600 euro here, and the exp 84 is only 440, is it really worth 160 euro more? im also thinking about a flying v or a prophecy explorer (it cost the same as the 84) but it looks less steriotypisch
Last edited by teli1337 at Dec 27, 2011,
Budget? and what's your current set up?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Budget? and what's your current set up?

about 700$ (500 euro)
What amp you got?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I think the Epi 1984 Explorer Reissue is a true bang for the buck guitar. I'd really get that one.
But of course, sound is also dependent on your amplifier and yourself, so you should really check that you've got a decent amp too.
As Fisheth24 asked you, what is your current setup?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

ltd eclipse, only way to go IMO
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Quote by JY-Rasputin
ltd eclipse, only way to go IMO

+1
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i have a gibson les paul with seymour duncan black outs in it and i play within the ruins, chelsea grin, through the eyes of the dead, you know that kinda technical death core shit. so yeah it can handle some metalica. go big and get a gibson.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by RiseTheFallen
Yea get an LTD EC-401, great value for the money!

+1

Though I do use my Tokai LP for metal.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
I personally think LP's sound great for metal with emg's in them. I own an epi Zakk Wylde custom, 81 85 actives, and its a fantastic guitar for what it cost me. My lead guitarist has a gibson lp studio with an 81 and 60 in it, sounds absolutely amazing, but he does play through a krank valve rev120 and 4x12.

having played a ec401, I can't say I liked it, I did however love the epi 84 reissue I played recently in a store, it played well and sounded brilliant for the price, the neck was thicker than my standard gibson explorer though, much more like a LP neck.

as for the epiphone lp prophecy's I had one of those too. while it was a nice guitar it wasn't brilliant at all.

Personally if you like the 84 reissue, buy one, if your two afraid of looking like a hetfield wannabe, dont ever play any metallica or own any explorer. my band mates, friends, girlfriend all mock me for owning a white explorer and frequently call me het, however the guitar plays better than any other I have played, so I couldn't care less.
Quote by teli1337
I play mostly metallica, and i was thinking about buying an epiphone explorer 1984 reissue with EMG pickups, but im not so sure about the shape... it looks to ''attention whorish'' is a les paul (doesnt have to be a gibson) good for metallica with EMG pickups in it, and can you play fast riff on it?

and if so, can you recommend me 1?

Metallica (Hetfield and Hammett) use Gibson Les Pauls loads as did Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde. If you think people can't play fast with Les Pauls then watch Doug Aldrich, Vivian Campbell or John Sykes (Sykes is faster than Steve Vai)

Plenty of people can play fast on Les Pauls, Ritchie Faulkner who replaced KK Downing in Judas Priest uses Les Pauls as his main guitar.

I play metal on my Gibson Les Paul, if you're going to spend on a Les Paul, try and get a Custom, looks more suited and the ebony board is amazing on mine.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Last edited by digman50 at Dec 23, 2011,
I'd say an ESP EC-401. I don't know if it's within your price range but it is off the internet..
Quote by digman50
I play metal on my Gibson Les Paul, if you're going to spend on a Les Paul, try and get a Custom, looks more suited and the ebony board is amazing on mine.

His budget is $700.

LPs are fine for metal with EMGs. I prefer the 60s profile necks since they're slimmer.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
For that money you could get a Faded Les Paul or SG used.

They work very well for metal, you don't need EMGs and are - IMO at least - some of the best guitars you can get for that amount of money.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Chayakorn
Check out the Epiphone prophecy series.

\m/

this. Awesome guitars for the price.

I've played the 84 and i own a Prophecy Futura. The Futura blows it out of the water. It actually feels like a quality guitar. The 84 feels plastic-y.

As for attention whorish, that's bunk
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by 3074326
His budget is $700.

LPs are fine for metal with EMGs. I prefer the 60s profile necks since they're slimmer.

Didn't see the budget

Sorry about that TS.

If you raise you budget at any point, go for a Les Paul Custom.

I suppose you could go for the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and put the active EMGs in. Would probably sound ok...

Quote by teli1337

so much that you can't even answer the questions in your thread.

get a shecktah wit deh EMGs and a 6505-112.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Another vote for the Epi LP Prophecy. Killer guitar for the price. I love mine.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by dhruvd353
Esp Ltd Ec1000-fr

x1000

the ec-1000 is wonderful
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
So, you think having an Explorer, which is one of THE MOST METAL guitar shapes ever, is more attention whorish than having a LP, which is THE MOST OVERUSED AND CLICHE GUITAR SHAPE ever?

Also, lol at Kirk Hamster shredding w/ a Bigsby.
Quote by FearMyLightning
So, you think having an Explorer, which is one of THE MOST METAL guitar shapes ever, is more attention whorish than having a LP, which is THE MOST OVERUSED AND CLICHE GUITAR SHAPE ever?

Also, lol at Kirk Hamster shredding w/ a Bigsby.

Nah, the Les Paul single-cut shape is timeless. The double-cut strat shape is the most overused and cliche guitar shape ever.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
have to agree with that, everyone I know that knows nothing about guitars knows what a fender strat is, probably because of waynes world.

I have to say about the epiphone prophecy again, I had one, it may have been a bad one, but every earlier made in Korea epiphone les paul custom I have played has been better.
Quote by Chayakorn
Check out the Epiphone prophecy series.

\m/

Do this.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by gregs1020
so much that you can't even answer the questions in your thread.

get a shecktah wit deh EMGs and a 6505-112.

Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
"why can/can't this guitar play ______"

this is getting annoying. why does this keep getting mentioned.

pretty much any guitar can play metal, metal is a genre not a guitar.

well maybe not a resonator, lol i would try it though just for curiosity

i have a 490r/498t Les Paul, it has been my go to metal guitar for three years now. if you want to see some of the guitars i have that would be 'put up' against that les paul, check my profile., . don't be fooled into thinking you can't. once you get used to it, the 22nd fret is very usable regardless of 'reasonable' strap height. some don't like the finish on the back of the neck, it doesn't bother me, but i have sanded necks before not a big deal. the 60's necks really aren't that thick, you may have to get used to it, but its not an issue. i have owned an EC1000, a EC400 and an EC401. i dont own any of them now, but i have played them all. they are nice guitars,, but i preferred the les paul. the only reasons i had the EC's was because i was flipping them or was involved in a trade.

metal is music, not a certain guitar or amp, it is how you play it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by teli1337
and can you play fast riff on it?

Yeah, I can play lighting riffage on any Squire set up right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i have a 490r/498t Les Paul, it has been my go to metal guitar for three years now. if you want to see some of the guitars i have that would be 'put up' against that les paul, check my profile., . don't be fooled into thinking you can't. once you get used to it, the 22nd fret is very usable regardless of 'reasonable' strap height. some don't like the finish on the back of the neck, it doesn't bother me, but i have sanded necks before not a big deal. the 60's necks really aren't that thick, you may have to get used to it, but its not an issue. i have owned an EC1000, a EC400 and an EC401. i dont own any of them now, but i have played them all. they are nice guitars,, but i preferred the les paul. the only reasons i had the EC's was because i was flipping them or was involved in a trade.

The reason I'd always recommend at least trying some Gibsons before buying an LTD, Schecter, any other kind of metal guitar, is that IMO Gibsons offer better, beefier overall tone than said metal guitars.

Unless you "need" some super slim neck, Floyd rose, c0il t4pz, EMGs and the whole aesthetic-thing including abalone and fancy quilt/flame veneer tops, Gibsons offer more actual tone for the money.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The reason I'd always recommend at least trying some Gibsons before buying an LTD, Schecter, any other kind of metal guitar, is that IMO Gibsons offer better, beefier overall tone than said metal guitars.

Unless you "need" some super slim neck, Floyd rose, c0il t4pz, EMGs and the whole aesthetic-thing including abalone and fancy quilt/flame veneer tops, Gibsons offer more actual tone for the money.

a les paul studio will do anybody more than fine doing that a comparable guitar (meaning like you said, super thin neck, floyds, etc). i prefer my les paul over all of my others for metal. i can play leads as well on my LP as my RG, except that the RG has two more frets which work best for certain leads.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Darkdevil725
Checkout the LP's on this page. Most of them are through necks rather than the usual set necks. http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss14.html

the higher end agile are wonderful guitars .. i have the Al-3200 and its perfect BUT the alnico v humbuckers on it read 8.9 k for bridge and 7.5 for neck ( something like that ) . they sound very good but are more oriented for a vintage sound than a metal pickup . youll find that fast palmmuting metal riff wont cut it with the stock humbuckers. Nothing like a ceramic 16.6 k dc humbucker .

Im switching my bridge pickup for a Duncan sh-6 ( my favorite pickup ) .

so stock i wouldnt recommend an Agile les paul *for metal unless you plan on switching the humbuckers . but their 1/4 price of a gibson and are very great instruement . so then can still be a great value for the money even after switching pickup .

For metal id go with a Esp ltd Ec-1000 ( les paul shape with emg 81/60 on it ) for around 650 $ . wonderful guitar .

*** and BTW I bought my agile 3200 slim and the neck is wonderful on it . Before buying a les paul studio , try it in store .. cause its the round 50's baseball neck and its just huge . maybe great for some classic players but not the best for fast riffing . i have smaller hands and i hate the les paul studio cause the neck is too big . if you go gibson go with a 60's slim taper neck . thats the big neck that kept me away from le spaul studio .. good thing becasue for half the price .. i have a better guitar from agile .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Skysc
*** and BTW I bought my agile 3200 slim and the neck is wonderful on it . Before buying a les paul studio , try it in store .. cause its the round 50's baseball neck and its just huge . maybe great for some classic players but not the best for fast riffing . i have smaller hands and i hate the les paul studio cause the neck is too big . if you go gibson go with a 60's slim taper neck . thats the big neck that kept me away from le spaul studio .. good thing becasue for half the price .. i have a better guitar from agile .

not all LP studios have a 50's neck, my LP studio has a 60's neck or i wouldn't have bought it, even for the $350 it cost me.

TS - what amp are you using again? echo... echo... (no posts since 12/23)...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 28, 2011,
Quote by Skysc

Look at my post with those players.

All of those guitars have big necks, unless Vivian Campbells or John Sykes don't.
They all play pretty fast, it's about how you play really. I can play faster on my Les Paul than on an Ibanez wizard neck because it I can't stand the Ibanez neck and it hurts to play (my neck catches my thumb right on the bone)

Quote by Skysc
good thing becasue for half the price .. i have a better guitar from agile .

Typical UG comment.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Typical UG comment.

i resisted flaming the hell out of him.

actually i had, then i edited it out.

you can't fix stupid.

TS - Try a dean!
I used a Gibson 79' Les Paul Custom. It sounded hell good, with a marhsall avt 175, I could get all the damn vintage sounds with or heavy metal growl, or either jazzy and bluesy tones, and the neck pickup sounded like a piano. I tried to shred some, but then i took the american fender stratocaster nearby, and man, i realized how ****ing hard is playing with gibson, once when you compare it to a fender. You cannot go for solos with a les paul, that is hard for someone at your level. I'd recommend a mahogany body strat, Ibanez MTM2 with emg 81-60 would be better if you could find it. Or better, get MTM1, and prefer emg ones, SD Blackouts are insane.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Omg dude, you can't damn get the real question. It is ''Is that guitar Ideal for ______?'' ''Is that guitar fits the needings of that genre mostly'' Or so. And, damn LTD is better then gibson studio. What the hell is damn chambered body? How it is supposed to be solid body? Even cort builts solid body les paul guitars, why damn you dont do this on studio?
Quote by cemges
Omg dude, you can't damn get the real question. It is ''Is that guitar Ideal for ______?'' ''Is that guitar fits the needings of that genre mostly'' Or so. And, damn LTD is better then gibson studio. What the hell is damn chambered body? How it is supposed to be solid body? Even cort builts solid body les paul guitars, why damn you dont do this on studio?

For the record, I played both ESP LTD EC-1000 VB and ESP Eclipse I-CTM GB. I found them both worse than my Gibson Les Paul Studio. Mainly because of the feel of the neck and the over-done contour on the body. The sound was decent, at least on the ESP. Can't say really the same for the LTD.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Page 1 of 2