Hey, UG, I have a question about singing, or rather screaming I suppose.

I have played guitar for about five years and been a singer all my life. I can sing clean pretty well but have absolutely not idea how to get the "grit" or straight scream.

The people I am looking to sing like are Shaun Morgan (Seether), Chad Kroeger (Nickelback- Yeah, Nickelback, Come at me bro), screamers like Oliver skyes (Bring me the horizon) and finally Mike Hranica (The Devil Wears Prada).

What are these vocal techniques called? Are they all fry vocals? or false chords? IS there a difference between the singing aspect and screaming aspect? Or is it the same technique just more extreme? Anyone with information or experience would be much appreciated, and if you have a video, website link, or book feel free to post it as well.

Thanks!
Sing from your gut, not your throat.

In order to sing like Chad Kroeger, you must gargle cum every morning.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Look under Musician Talk or something, there's an entire subforum dedicated to singing. Go read the FAQs there.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
More air through your vocal cords from the diaphragm fast enough that distorts your voice.

The trick is doing it in a way that doesn't harm your vocal chords.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Repeat after me

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHJHFJGBLURGHGLURGH!!!!!!!
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Just youtube how to scream and get some basics on it, be careful though. When I first tried it out I put my voice out of action for a couple of days
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
You wanna sing like Nickelback?

neither do i.
your whisper may sway the weak, but when i speak it roars the seas
TS, I've decided you should stick to real singing. And you're lucky I'm letting the Chad Kroeger thing slide.
Lol, posting this in The Pit.
Try a forum with actual helpful people in it.

As for your actual question, most of the singers and screamers you mentioned (barring perhaps Chad Kroeger, who has stated that he uses absolutely no recognized technique to distort his voice) use the false vocal cords to create distortion. These are thick mucous membranes that sit above the true vocal folds to protect them from damage. Unlike the true vocal folds, the false cords don't create an actual note when air passes through them; they just produce a distorted collection of overtones. There's a method to getting this technique down without straining the true cords too, with diaphragmatic breathing and plenty of breath support. PM me if you want to learn more.
Quote by strat0blaster
More air through your vocal cords from the diaphragm fast enough that distorts your voice.

The trick is doing it in a way that doesn't harm your vocal chords.

That way's for PUSSIES.
Quote by Dr. McBadass
Nickelback

Quote by Dr. McBadass
Nickelback

Quote by Dr. McBadass
Nickelback

Quote by Dr. McBadass
Nickelback

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Wow, the Nickelback hate..

I understand that all the latest songs have been rather shit..but the guy doesn't really have a bad voice at all, it' just used wrong.

My two cents.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Wow, the Nickelback hate..

I understand that all the latest songs have been rather shit..but the guy doesn't really have a bad voice at all, it' just used wrong.

My two cents.

That band was dead to me the second they put out Dark Horse. I defended them for years, but once that album came out, I realized there was no way I could defend it
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I saw a youtube video once, where the guy said something like "The way I learned was I pretended I was taking a big shit, and the grunting noise you make when you're pushing it out is your base. Then I just made it louder" or something like that

There's plenty of youtube videos and guides on the net, you'll find something that works for you. Like everyone else will probably say, try not to damage your voice.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I was onboard with helping you when I saw Shuan Morgan, because I fucking love Seether, but then I saw Chad Kroeger, and it just kept getting worse...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~