Hey guys,

i was wondering if you can tell me what are the main differences between the 4 rectifiers (mini, single, dual and triple). Do they diverge in sound?

I'm looking for a high end amp with good, tight distortion and also good cleans and the mesa's seem the best choice.

Thanks
The Mini Recto is 25 watts, the Single 50, Dual is 100 and Triple is 150w.

They diverge in sound quite dramatically, each Recto sounding bigger than the last.

The Single is probably the tightest, but that also depends on which version Dual/Triple you're looking at, and how you set the amp.

If you want really good cleans and distortion, check out a Tremoverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by BobDetroit
Rectifiers are hardly what I would call tight..

+23456789

check out blackstar series one, orange amps, engl,
If you want a tight Mesa, you could check out something from the Mark series, the Mark III, IV or V will all do what you want but are increasingly expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by BobDetroit
Rectifiers are hardly what I would call tight..
It all depends on how you use it. A guy I know who used to own a Mesa Dual Rec told me to always keep it set on diode rectification or else it becomes a muddy mess.

Look up Ola Englund's (fearedse) Dual Rec clips on Youtube. The tones he gets out of his Recto sound pretty damn tight to me.

EDIT:

Quote by Lespagnol3105
So, what kind of amp would you reccomend outside mesa?
Glad you ask: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/engl-fireball-100-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head/502255000001000
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by Lespagnol3105
So, what kind of amp would you reccomend outside mesa?

Check out ENGL. They have a very tight distortion and excellent overall sound. Don't listen to the people who say they sound muddy- they obviously don't know that there are things called treble, hi-balance, and presence knobs on the front of the amplifier.

Don't give up on Mesa though. There is a lot of common ground between Engl and Mesa despite the obvious differences. Personally, I find that rectifiers have a more "organic" and "bright" sound while the Engl amps have a more "calculated" distortion sound.

Slap some chorus and delay on either of them and you can get a similar solo tone, but over time you will notice the difference. It's all in taste.

Just do yourself a favor - get an effects unit or pedal for reverb, chorus, and delay. Just use them to slightly color the normal rhythm tone and give depth to the solo tones. Alone, those amplifiers are very "dry." (yes, that's a horrible pun, but it works).

Triple, dual, and single rectifiers sell for about the same price range used - $700-$1200.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It all depends on how you use it. A guy I know who used to own a Mesa Dual Rec told me to always keep it set on diode rectification or else it becomes a muddy mess.

Look up Ola Englund's (fearedse) Dual Rec clips on Youtube. The tones he gets out of his Recto sound pretty damn tight to me.

+1 on that.

Ola's videos are what swayed me away from the Triple Rectifier and more towards the Savage 120. I think I'm going to end up getting the Mesa TR anyways because they're so versatile.

Keep that in mind too, TS. Versatility of the amp is very important. Mesas are widely considered "tweaker" amps because some EQ combinations don't sound great. My Savage is kinda like that, but not so much. I've found that Mesa rectifier distortion covers a greater ground than the ENGL. It's all a matter of preference and taste though.
I've seen the Ola's videos! Quite nice, the guy sure have some skills! After what i've seen I liked very much the Powerball, the savage and the fireball! I think I'm going to try and find a local store that sells them and try them out! Between the Fireball and the Powerball, what would be the best?
Quote by Lespagnol3105
I've seen the Ola's videos! Quite nice, the guy sure have some skills! After what i've seen I liked very much the Powerball, the savage and the fireball! I think I'm going to try and find a local store that sells them and try them out! Between the Fireball and the Powerball, what would be the best?

Powerball II has way more options than the Fireball, but costs $600-800 more.