Hi all. I live in edinburgh, Scotland and I'm looking for what it says in the title. A 50w valve marshall head/head and cab. if anyone is looking to get rid of one that is in full working order and lives near edinburgh(within reason) then I am willing to come and pick up and part with up to £450(depending on model and condition). I am looking for a marshall preferably, but am open to suggestion. thanks guys.
Marshall have made many valve head's over the years.

Why Marshall?

Why a halfstack?

What tone are you trying to achieve?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Marshall have made many valve head's over the years.

Why Marshall?

Why a halfstack?

What tone are you trying to achieve?

I'm looking for a similair tone to john frusciante's 89-91 work, but crossed with a classic hendrix tone. I really like the whole concept of a seperate amplifier and cabinet system and have never owned one before. Marshall because it seems that is the way to go for the tone I am looking for. thanks any other suggestions?
Its a combo but remove the name and its spot on what your after.

50 watt british amp with 2 Greenbacks.

All your for well under £450 including postage....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Its a combo but remove the name and its spot on what your after.

50 watt british amp with 2 Greenbacks.

All your for well under £450 including postage....

they look like quality amplifiers, however my heart is set on the head and cab. a combo amp just isnt doing it, just for superficial reasons. thanks alot though
Quote by calvindinverno
they look like quality amplifiers, however my heart is set on the head and cab. a combo amp just isnt doing it, just for superficial reasons. thanks alot though

dude, i know its an amp i have for sale but you will not, i repeat, you will not get a quality half stack, especially a marshall one for £450.

good luck either way.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Rise above the superficial shit and buy Tom's amp. Seriously, you aren't going to beat that on your budget. What would you prefer? A second rate head and cab or a quality amp. It should be a no-brainer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i looks back an wince when i think of how i used to be like that. TS, the truth is you can pay quite a bit more for the marshall you want or you can pay the price you want and have to settle for an amp that is just as good or better that doesn't have the name.

i remember when i bought my first music man. i was so disappointed it wasn't a fender, i was so stupid.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Tom 1.0

dude, i know its an amp i have for sale but you will not, i repeat, you will not get a quality half stack, especially a marshall one for £450.

good luck either way.

I am just looking for a head though, is that not achievable? I have just investigated this amp further... if it's the amps on britamps.co.uk then they are over £1000
thanks though
do you already have a cabinet?

if not you will need one of those too and a decent one will set you back at least half your budget mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you want to buy a 4x12 down the track you can always make a headshell and slide the chassis out of the combo into it. In the meantime you will have an awesome amp that comes in way under budget. Don't be a dumbass, snap it up while it's still available.
If Laneys are good enough for Tony Iommi they are good enough for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
okay guys, scrap the marshall plan. Can someone suggest a 50w valve half stack for £650? (I have 200 set aside for a cab)
So you're looking for a new valve halfstack for £650?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
So you're looking for a new valve halfstack for £650?

yes, preferably . fond of egnater amps, any thoughts?
Quote by calvindinverno
my heart is set on the head and cab. a combo amp just isnt doing it, just for superficial reasons. thanks alot though

Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by calvindinverno
okay guys, scrap the marshall plan. Can someone suggest a 50w valve half stack for £650? (I have 200 set aside for a cab)

£650 halfstack + £200 cab = £850 full stack
Definitely gonna want a full stack for Hendrix.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by calvindinverno
the amp looks good, however maybe rather used. it may not last as long as I hope.
I am really appreciating the help though, thank you

Used is the way to go. Valve amps as long as its a quality valve amp will last just as long if not longer then a new one before you do any maintenance depending on tubes which can be a bit of a lottery anyway.
Quote by Eppicurt
Definitely gonna want a full stack for Hendrix.

It'll get you closer - but you really need 3 full stacks and about 30 dummy cabs in order to nail his tone ... He was that good.
Seriously, what's more important to you?

An amp that looks the way you want it to, or one that sounds right?

Because you're about to drop £650 on something that's sole purpose is to MAKE NOISE, not look pretty...you're not buying a painting. I'm assuming that to you, like the rest of us, 650 quid is a significant sum of money that you're not going to part with lightly. That being the case, i'm sure you want to be spending it on something that does the best job possible for you, and that job is making your guitar sound good...what it looks like isn't going to affect that one bit, neither is the fact that it's used.

As we've already established, new marshalls in that price range simply aren't great at delivering the tones you're after...however you can pick up some used stuff for a steal, especially given the current climate. Might sound a bit mercenary, but people are selling a lot of gear well below the going rate at the moment simply because times are hard and they need the cash.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Damn, I'm from Edinburgh too. if you asked me a couple of months ago I had a friend selling his JCM 800 (not sure what model), gone now though. Also, Imported Instruments had 1 JCM 800 and 2 80's made plexi's for around £540. If I come across anything else, I'll let you know. Also, check gumtree after xmas, might get lucky.
Main Gear

93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jackson DK2M
Burns Red Special
Various other guitars
Marshall 9200 Power amp
ADA MP-1 Pre amp
Alesis Midiverb 4
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Marshall 1960b cab
TS 808 modded Boss SD1, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby
They might have put the jcm800 in the new aberdeen shop pretty sure i saw a used jcm800 in there a few days after it opening.
You should get an MG with 9 4x12 cabs for true marshall tonez.

Also for Toms price you could also buy a harley benton 2x12 and a used OD, Maybe even a chorus or something. Full rig and all that.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by cliff_em_all
Also for Toms price you could also buy a harley benton 2x12 and a used OD, Maybe even a chorus or something. Full rig and all that.

This is a great Idea. TS this is what you should do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kyle62
Bugera 1960 and a Harley Benton G212 Vintage. Would probably cost no £470 or so.

thanks very much
Quote by Robbgnarly
This is a great Idea. TS this is what you should do.

got a full rig, just looking for an amp upgrade thanks though
Quote by coolstoryangus
They might have put the jcm800 in the new aberdeen shop pretty sure i saw a used jcm800 in there a few days after it opening.

what's the name of the shop? thanks
Do you live at a place with stairs? If you do, you'll hate a 4x12 cab. I can promise you that.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.