Got a SM57 at the moment, thinking of getting an extra microphone. Would another sm57 make the recorded tone beastier or would a different microphone entirely do this?

Also i have a basic interface that has a left and right input, if i were to record with both microphones and i panned the guitar to one side, would it only use the left microphone input, or would it pan both inputs equally to that side?

Thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Not entirely sure about the first question, since I haven't tried that, but there would be a LOT of variables that would affect the sound if you used two mics like that, like phasing, placement in regards to room effect, etc.

For your second question, if you used both mics then you would be recording in stereo. You would have two controls in your DAW to adjust the pan of the recording, and if you wanted you could have those both set to the left side.
NOPE
Using 2 57s can get you a pretty huge tone, if you do it right. Look up the Fredman technique to learn about, what is probably, the most commonly used dual mic technique there is; used by many professional engineers all over the world.

Checking for phase isn't a huge issue when micing a cab. It's fairly simple to get everything in phase by placing your first mic where you want it, then putting on some headphones and cranking the amp way up and your headphones way up so you can hear the hiss/buzz of your amp coming through it, then plug in your second mic and hit the "phase reverse" switch in your DAW, then move it around until the buzz goes away or gets significantly lower in volume. Bam! You're in phase
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
OK thanks, anyone recommend any other combinations?

also, i hear some people talk about micing the back of cabs/amps. my cab has a slight opening, would you mic the back of the amp in metal/hard rock recordings?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by vivalaheerey
OK thanks, anyone recommend any other combinations?

also, i hear some people talk about micing the back of cabs/amps. my cab has a slight opening, would you mic the back of the amp in metal/hard rock recordings?

It helps capturing low end, but in essance thats what the bass guitar is for. But thats what the pain and joy of recording is... testing everything out millions of times..
You can try micing with a 57 and then micing with a condenser a few feet out to capture the room sound. This will give you a more "rounded" sound, but if your room isn't treated, it could sound like crap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok thanks guys, I'ma talk to a few guys in a shop but atm i'm thinking of just gettign the sm57, or another shure of some sort, keep posting in here though if you have any more helpful info!
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
just doing some research, has anyone heard of the Sterling Audio ST79 being used for recording? or would this just suck terribly?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by vivalaheerey
just doing some research, has anyone heard of the Sterling Audio ST79 being used for recording? or would this just suck terribly?

I own one, and am actually selling mine.

AWESOME mic for the price. Seriously the best condenser I've used under a grand. It's too bad they don't sell them anymore, as the extra capsule patterns on it make it a far more versatile mic than the ST77. Only reason I'm selling mine is to upgrade to something significantly more expensive

It's great as a room mic for guitars and drums, and excellent for any kind of vocals.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
How much? I'm just looking for the Killswitch Engage/Parkway Drive/A Day to Remember meaty/mahoosive/M.F of a tone
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Quote by vivalaheerey
How much? I'm just looking for the Killswitch Engage/Parkway Drive/A Day to Remember meaty/mahoosive/M.F of a tone

PM'd ya
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Are you really only ever going to be recording electric guitar? Otherwise you should definitely have a condenser in your arsenal before you stock up on dynamics.