Page 1 of 2
Another scientific breakthrough I don't understand in the slightest, huzzah!
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Very interesting. However, aren't there different variations of string theory which predicate different amounts of dimensions, some up to 13?
My God, it's full of stars!
9 spatial dimensions within a 3 dimensional expansion?

*headexplode.jpg*

Wouldn't that theoretically point toward the idea of an infinity that closed in on itself and left us with the 3 dimensions?
I feel like Michael Bay may cash in on this and make the 9D movie
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
I am much too sleep deprived to read this, but I will most definitely read it tomorrow
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Vague nomenclature in that article makes me question it.
Then again, if it is pre-journal publish then they're probably just giving the laymans terms they were fed by the scientists management. Then it's been translated so "Direction" should probably be more specific, something like "Dimensional plane"
Quote by ErikLensherr

Same here, I only know about string theory because of the Big Bang Theory
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
The article is kind of misleading. String theory is not "the theory of everything." It's one of the many theoretical answers to the question of the ToE.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Same here, I only know about string theory because of the Big Bang Theory

That means you know about as much as I do, and I researched it a whiles back

That stuff is crazy difficult to understand, even when you have all the research papers in front of you to study.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Let us all celebrate with liquor and women!

EDIT: COMIC SAAAAAAAAAAAANS!
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Let us celebrate by not watching the Big Bang Theory,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

That doesn't make you want to understand it?
Quote by Dreadnought
The article is kind of misleading. String theory is not "the theory of everything." It's one of the many theoretical answers to the question of the ToE.

Annoyed me too.

I'm off to do more research on this.
Quote by ErikLensherr

I feel like the one of the guys who just stood back and said 'what the **** is this shit' when the guy who invented the wheel started rolling around town in his pimped out horse-and-cart.
Quote by severed-metal
That doesn't make you want to understand it?

A bit yes, but compared to the list of other things I don't understand yet and want to, this isn't at the top of the pile.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
A group of three researchers from KEK, Shizuoka University and Osaka University has for the first time revealed the way our universe was born with 3 spatial dimensions from 10-dimensional superstring theory in which spacetime has 9 spatial directions and 1 temporal direction. This result was obtained by numerical simulation on a supercomputer.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
As much as I'd like to understand all of this, WAT
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Yeah, 9 spatial dimensions? No way my puny earthling brain can process that at this point in my life.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by ErikLensherr

YES, THIS, HUZZAH!

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
9 has something to do with 3 and 3 has something to do with 1,, which means 9 is the same as one.

Problem solved
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Superstring THEORY

Things can't be proven by a theory can they? I always thought the theory would have to be proven first. How do we even know dimensions exists? It's kinda superstitious to me. Ironic that scientists have their boughts with superstition too. At least it's a bunch've superstition to me, to them it could be a bunch've math that make sense in a scientific way.

Knowing how the universe is made is pointless anyways. It's not gonna solve anything, besides butt-hurt scientists that just want to have things proven in their name for bragging rights, or religious people that want to prove atheists wrong.

It's not gonna solve cancer, it's not gonna make poo smell better. All it's gonna do is solve a pointless debate between to factions that don't really have a reason to bash each others beliefs in the first place, cause their beliefs.
BLANKBLANK
If this was actually a breakthrough it would be published in Nature or Science.
The future is no place to place your better days
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Superstring THEORY

Things can't be proven by a theory can they? I always thought the theory would have to be proven first. How do we even know dimensions exists? It's kinda superstitious to me. Ironic that scientists have their boughts with superstition too. At least it's a bunch've superstition to me, to them it could be a bunch've math that make sense in a scientific way.

Knowing how the universe is made is pointless anyways. It's not gonna solve anything, besides butt-hurt scientists that just want to have things proven in their name for bragging rights, or religious people that want to prove atheists wrong.

It's not gonna solve cancer, it's not gonna make poo smell better. All it's gonna do is solve a pointless debate between to factions that don't really have a reason to bash each others beliefs in the first place, cause their beliefs.

Are you really gonna be that guy who ignorantly misinterprets the meaning of the word "theory" in the scientific communty and then tries to downplay the importance of doing research based on them? C'mon.

Oh and yeah man, knowing how the universe is made isn't important at all. Just like knowing about the shape of the earth or the existence of bacteria, right? All that stuff is just a theory, and it doesn't directly affect anything in my everyday life so it's clearly not important. I just don't see how anything of worth could come from discovering things that we don't even know exist yet. There's no way we could ever possibly use that kind of knowledge to solve problems that we aren't even aware of yet or that currently have no solutions.

U dum, bro.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy

What a stupid thing to post. Absolutely baffling.
Quote by ErikLensherr

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Superstring THEORY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5JXbyw1C0
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by ErikLensherr
This, all over the place. I only ever understand these things at a very fundamental level.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Superstring THEORY

yeh man thos "scientis" thnk tey no evrting but dey stupid lol sceints so stupid
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Arfey McFeeshy
Superstring THEORY

I have a theory that pubes are supposed to go in between your legs, not on your chin. But a theory doesn't prove anything, does it?

i am so ****ing happy! i want to be a theoretical physicist because i love string theory and now that it finaly has some actual proof i can have a somewhat promising career!
i want to watch the simulation, i cant wait for it to be published! holy ****ing shit right before xmas science-1, god-0 hahaha jk jk jk
Quote by moscaespañol

I have a theory that pubes are supposed to go in between your legs, not on your chin. But a theory doesn't prove anything, does it?

you are ****ing retarded, theory doesnt mean a random thought that has no proof moron
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
you are ****ing retarded, theory doesnt mean a random thought that has no proof moron

MY JOKE

YOUR HEAD

random thought that has to do with science:
if mass and energy are relative
the speed of light has a set speed, which would require a set amount of energy
but in order to reach that energy you would need an infinite amount of mass
but to have an infinite amount of mass you would take up all of the room in the universe
but why is that? how can you go from infinite to a set number? if space is infinitely expanding what is preventing us from gathering enough energy to travel light speed? if space is ever expanding how can there not be enough room for such a large mass?
Quote by moscaespañol
MY JOKE

YOUR HEAD

if you were joking i apologize for my harsh words, but just the thought of someone saying that irritated me
Page 1 of 2