I have a Boss Super Chorus and I've been having some weird issues with it. I hook it up and it sounds great for a little while when playing, but eventually it conks out and all I can hear is this high-pitched whistling sound. Usually happens after I hit a chord hard, or have been playing at loud volumes. I'm running it with a Mesa Rectoverb combo and a Fender HSS Strat. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
It doesn't do it intermittently does it? I used to be able to get my flanger to oscillate if I hit just the right harmonic/frequency.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Sounds to me like you could have a microphonic tube instead. Play for awhile without the pedal, if the noise is still there it's the tube, not the pedal.
Definitely the pedal; it goes away immediately after I unplug it. However, I wouldn't know if it's a tube; my power tubes are a year old, but I have no idea how old my preamp tubes are.
And, the oscillation mostly happens when I start playing more aggressively; it's at the point where if I'm plucking on the clean channel, I need to be doing so at a mezzo-piano or it'll whistle. I usually unplug it, then wait a few hours, and plug it back in only for it to oscillate after 5 minutes.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
That actually does sound more like a dying preamp tube, if it does it with a hard input signal, or at loud volumes. I'd just replace the preamp tubes, should of done that anyways when you replaced your power amp tubes just do you wouldn't run into an issue like this to assume it's something else causing the problem.