Page 1 of 2
Did some searching, couldn't find anything.

Basically, I've been given an opportunity to get any bass I want to worth up to $3,000 USD for services rendered I'll call it.

I designed a bass for a friend that brother died during a training accident before deploying to Afghanistan. He was Army EOD (Bomb Tech) and something went wrong. He ended up passing away, so I "immortalized" her brother by customizing a bass through ESP. Had his dog tags on it to remember him, for her other brother that plays bass.

She was so grateful i took the time (really, maybe an hour to look through options and drop downs of something I would get if I played bass) that she's giving me 3 grand to get a bass.

I don't play bass, I play guitar, but she and her brother are insistent on giving me a bass that I want. So, anybody out there know any awesome basses for rock/metal that can be had for 3 grand? Looking for a 5 string for extra flexibility.

Thanks
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Any bass is good for rock and nearly any famous brand aside from pricy customs is under 3k? Just curious if they know you play guitar why are they forcing you into a bass?
Quote by askrere
Any bass is good for rock and nearly any famous brand aside from pricy customs is under 3k? Just curious if they know you play guitar why are they forcing you into a bass?

It's a gift more than anything. I won't say no to it. I'd rather get a $1000 bass and $2000 worth of amp and cab. But I'll take a 3 grand bass lol
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Bloodbuzz
Get a nice bass for $1000 and spend the rest on nice rig, or on a guitar.

he already said its not his choice.
Can't go wrong with a 5-string Stingray. Over the 2k point, you're really just paying for luxury, honestly, unless you're going custom (in which case, you can get a yummy custom for 3k but I doubt you know what you'd really want, not being a bassist).

A Carvin SB5000 with all the bells and whistles is delicious as well.
modes are a social construct
having never really played bass, I am going to assume (not being disrespectful) you are under the guitar mindset that you need all the strings you can get to play right. A five string will give you some extra low notes, but the majority of things can be handled by a 4 stringer.

I say a Fender custom shop, a Rickenbacker, a G&L L2000 or a Music Man Stingray
You could get a really nice Warwick for that, can't think of anything better then one for metal or rock
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by askrere
having never really played bass, I am going to assume (not being disrespectful) you are under the guitar mindset that you need all the strings you can get to play right. A five string will give you some extra low notes, but the majority of things can be handled by a 4 stringer.

Try playing gospel or R&B on a 4 (or, of course, heavier rock or metal). That extra low end is almost a requirement.

Plus the convenience of not having to downtune is icing on the cake.

A 6 or 7, I'd probably agree with you, but a 5 really isn't a huge switch from a 4 and the convenience is just awesome. Unless you specifically want a 4-string due to comfort or due to connection with a certain bass, you're better off with the versatility. Granted, you should try out a few different basses and figure out how comfortable you are with what, but going on no info I'd never say to avoid a 5, especially with how many options are available in terms of string spacing and scale length available on production-level instruments in this day and age.
Yeah the switch to five is almost too easy and the versatility makes playing much more enjoyable.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by Hail
Try playing gospel or R&B on a 4 (or, of course, heavier rock or metal). That extra low end is almost a requirement.

Plus the convenience of not having to downtune is icing on the cake.

A 6 or 7, I'd probably agree with you, but a 5 really isn't a huge switch from a 4 and the convenience is just awesome. Unless you specifically want a 4-string due to comfort or due to connection with a certain bass, you're better off with the versatility. Granted, you should try out a few different basses and figure out how comfortable you are with what, but going on no info I'd never say to avoid a 5, especially with how many options are available in terms of string spacing and scale length available on production-level instruments in this day and age.

Oh yea I didn't mean a 5 is a bad idea per se, it's just a lot of guitarists come here and instantly want a 5-6 strings and under the pretense bass is just a full time soloing/wanking thing. So I am not saying don't get a 5, just wanted to probe the waters if he had a good reason.

Also if you get a 5 stringer you'll need a good wattage amp and a nice big efficient cab to handle it and the low B.

Why does gospel require giant lows? (not arguing, but I have no real church experience)
Not sure if I can post ebay links, but what do you guys think of this? Ebay Link
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
Not sure if I can post ebay links, but what do you guys think of this? Ebay Link

That upper bout tumor seems inhibiting. weird mesquite trees are the scraggiest trees, that litter the texas hill country around here. Make good BBQ smoke though.

Edit: The thing is very few people have 3k to throw down for a bass. Most metal and rock guys get by with a P bass or a J bass, Stingrays and Ricks as well. When you get into the 3k range and into really fancy custom boutique exotic basses most people including myself can't say much because few of us have heard or seen let alone played a 3k bass in person (excluding vintage fender etc.) There comes a point I think where you are paying less for the the tone and feel, and more into the crazy wood laminates and layers and builders name.

That said it's a shame she wouldn't buy you a SVT and a 8x10, then you could get any bass and still have a metal rig.
Last edited by askrere at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by Bloodbuzz
What type of bass are you drawn to? Any company/shape/sound.

I'm really open to anything, but I don't really care for something that looks like a standard bass ya know?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm really open to anything, but I don't really care for something that looks like a standard bass ya know?

Rickenbacker 4003, Gibson Thunderbird IV, Stienberger. Those don't look SUPER standard, at least in my opinion.

Status basses are made from graphite, so that's cool?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You should be going out and playing every bass you can get your hands on with that budget.

+1 to this.

At this kind of money, for your first bass, you have a few problems really.

Ordinarily, you can drop a few hundred on a beginner instrument without too much worry - there's not too much to lose if you find it doesn't suit you very well, it's all just experimentation, and eventually you find the things that work for you.

At $3000, if you end up with something that doesn't work with you, you stand to lose quite a lot, the resale value for something which costs that much new is going to be a lot lower.

The options you're then left with are to simply to take a risk, or buy something that costs $3000 second hand - but things that cost that much are just bizarre/extravagant instruments with ridiculous woods and aesthetics etc, which 90% of the time don't seem to have been designed to be played, or vintage Fenders, which are no better than a reissue/cs Fender, just cost more and again are more of a collectors item than a players instrument.

All the advice you're going to get here is going to be based on personal preference "Oh get a Warwick man, nothing beats a Warwick" is obviously 100% preference. Does every metal/rock bassist use a Warwick? Do they balls. They don't work for everyone (if I had that kind of money to drop on a new bass, I'd be straight on the phone to Sadowsky, for example), and in fact Warwick basses are probably one of the last I'd recommend because of the tendency to have very weird neck profiles and wood choices that are quite a specific/acquired taste, not something to be recommended as a first bass to somebody who has never played before.

Get to a shop. You won't find many $3000 basses in there, but that's not the point. Play a USA standard Jazz bass, play a USA standard Precision bass, play a few standard line Warwicks, EBMM Stingrays/Sterlings, Spector Euros, etc etc. Most of these will be below your budget, but they're quality instruments that many pro players use.

By doing this you'll be able to get a feel for what you personally like to play. It's all well and good Joe Bloggs on the internet telling you he likes Warwicks, but perhaps you'll get to the store and find that Warwicks just don't cut it for you, and that you love the way an EBMM Sterling plays and sounds - who knows? But that way you'll be able to find out the sort of things that work for you, so you'll be able to make a more informed decision about what to buy.
^Case and point right there. I am a Warwick guy. I get on far too well with them, and I can't stand Sadowsky. Ziph is completely opposite.

And that's fine, even though people who don't like Warwicks are heathens

BTW Ziph, Wicks use shallow C shape profiles as standard now, so nowhere near as deep as the used to be. Just so you know
$3000 for a bass?! Hell dude, you could get a custom made bass for that. The world is your oyster.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
$3000 for a bass?! Hell dude, you could get a custom made bass for that. The world is your oyster.

This and what Ben said--if I had someone willing to gift me 3K for a bass I'd be like a kid in a candy store with an unlimited budget.

Hell you could get an very nice upright for that budget.
Quote by askrere

Why does gospel require giant lows? (not arguing, but I have no real church experience)

short answer: lots of notes used below E
Quote by anarkee

Hell you could get an very nice upright for that budget.

ignore everything i said - do this.
Quote by fleajr_1412

The guy never played bass, so Giving him $3000 to get a custom bass is like giving me the money to design and build a custom house. I know what looks cool, but have no clue how any of it works of feels to live with.

I have no clue how much you spent on the bass for the brother, but if you feel uncomfortable discussing buying something else, maybe don't try to just spend every dollar? Extremely custom instruments are just that custom, I don't want a 5 string bubinga with civil war slave plantation maple inlay jazz bass with 24 frets and a aguilar preamp with a khaler bass trem. I want a P bass in lake placid blue or sparkle with a red tort guard and a maple neck. As Ziph said just go try basses, the standards are the standards because they are just liked universally and timelessly for a reason. And for the record a Rickenbacker new would hold its resale very well, not to push you in that direction.
Quote by StillSoundRG

I don't play bass, I play guitar, but she and her brother are insistent on giving me a bass that I want. So, anybody out there know any awesome basses for rock/metal that can be had for 3 grand? Looking for a 5 string for extra flexibility.

Thanks

There is no best bass for metal.

Budget 1k to a bass and 2k to a rig. Hell, even 500 dollars for a bass and 2500 for a rig is fine. Just get whatever gives you a boner when you try it out. You don't need to worry about rig details or specifics about your bass unless you play in a band and gig regularly or do some kind of session/recording work.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Dec 24, 2011,
If you don't play much. Buying expensive gear isn't going to improve your skill. I would say buy something good for learning and save some cash fro when you find out what you like.
Spector, Warwick, Musicman, the bass world is your oyster with that cash. Go out and play!
signature
Quote by SevoR-
If you don't play much. Buying expensive gear isn't going to improve your skill. I would say buy something good for learning and save some cash fro when you find out what you like.

I'm not given 3 grand and am able to buy gear with it. I'm given a limit of 3 grand on a single bass guitar. I can't use the 'savings' on gear because I'm not saving anything. I'm just not using money I'm allotted. So I might as well use up to and including the entire $3000 on a really exotic bass.

I'm not looking to learn bass (I play guitar, I can just play the bass like a guitar, no offense to bassists). I don't need a starter one to practice on, I'm already comfortable playing guitar.

I appreciate all the opinions on this, it's helping a lot.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
How about this? As far as i'm aware (judging by players who used those basses) it should do just fine in rock/metal surroundings...
I think you should go to the nicest music store that is close to you, walk up to the front till and say "I'd like to see your finest bass."
Quote by Bloodbuzz
I think you should go to the nicest music store that is close to you, walk up to the front till and say "I'd like to see your finest bass."

eh, 3k is like "plenty for an amazing bass, but not a big name signature" which is what most guitar shops pedal at the big spenders
For that kind of cash, Sadowsky basses are very nice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Time for my opinion!

People seem to be getting a bit ahead of themselves with what they are recommending (thinking $3k = no limit)

Sadowsky - Great, great basses, but you won't get a new NYC for less than $3500. You go with second hand or a Metro (Japanese built) but I don't really think that is what you are going for.

Warwick - You either love them or hate them. But you will probably find one you love.

Upright - You will not find a nice one for $3k. You'll probably find a perfectly useable one for that money, but in no way are we getting into the "nice" range of DBs.

Personally, I think you have found a beauty in that Benevante that you posted (this one). It's not really "Metal" per se, but, if you end up not liking how it plays, it makes one beautiful wall hanging.

For great players in the price range - look at Musicman Reflex's, Stingrays and Sterlings. Any one would be a great great instrument, and good looking too.

As with everyone saying, see if you can try out as many of these as possible. However, it's not going to be easy to find shops that stock theses sorts of instruments. Try and get down to Bass Central (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/index.php) to try out all of their stock. If you want it, they will have it. I don't know how possible it is though depending on where you are based.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by BlackVoid
Just get whatever gives you a boner when you try it out.

LOL this.

BTW, please notice that some similar thread in any forum would have been an automatic FLAMEthrower. here at the bass forum no one hates you for having more cash to spend on a bass than any one of us will have in their entire life, even though you won't probably be using it (except me).

you're in an awkward situation... i know this may sound somewhat rude, but is there any chance you can talk to this lady, so that you can get a 3k guitar that's the instrument you actually play?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Dec 27, 2011,
Quote by Sudaka
LOL this.

BTW, please notice that some similar thread in any forum would have been an automatic FLAMEthrower. here at the bass forum no one hates you for having more cash to spend on a bass than any one of us will have in their entire life, even though you won't probably be using it (except me).

you're in an awkward situation... i know this may sound somewhat rude, but is there any chance you can talk to this lady, so that you can get a 3k guitar that's the instrument you actually play?

I hope to make more than 3k in my life lol

and yea the gift idea is nice but still weird from our perspective.
Page 1 of 2