I have a Peavey classic 60/60, I just got it a few weeks ago and the owner said the tubes were old. I started playing it a night ago, and played it today a couple times, then come home and turn it on play a note and *pbop* Blue light, half the tubes (I assume the one channel) all went out, as I quickly turned the amp off.

What has happened? Is the power transformer out? I sniffed the box no smoke no smell.
Yeah, that sounds like the tubes. Just replace the blown ones.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Quote by Josh01993
Yeah, that sounds like the tubes. Just replace the blown ones.

Uhh, I would replace all of them. not just so you can have matching tubes, but if the tubes are old(like the pervious owner said) then the others may blow out soon.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Uhh, I would replace all of them. not just so you can have matching tubes, but if the tubes are old(like the previous owner said) then the others may blow out soon.

Ah yes, time for JJ to take all my money... I think I'll just replace the Power tubes, the preamps I feel might be ok.

Would old power tubes sound more distorted than normal?
Last edited by askrere at Dec 23, 2011,
Quote by CECamps
How many fuses? Did you check them?

Waiting for my dad to get home, he's an engineer so I feel safer having him crack it open.
The amp might use all 4 tubes for both channels, so two die nothing works...idk, just a guess.

I'd replace power amp and pre amp tube right now, since it's an old amp, you don't want to be constantly replacing per amp tubes one by one as they go out, gets kinda annoying, just replace them all in one go so you know what's in there, and how old they are, and wont have to worry about it for another 3 or so years.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The amp might use all 4 tubes for both channels, so two die nothing works...idk, just a guess.

I'd replace power amp and pre amp tube right now, since it's an old amp, you don't want to be constantly replacing per amp tubes one by one as they go out, gets kinda annoying, just replace them all in one go so you know what's in there, and how old they are, and wont have to worry about it for another 3 or so years.

It uses 6l6GC tubes and cannot as built be bridged (It's a power amp) I assume like at 60 watts per channel it's 2 per channel, because when it popped, the other side was all still glowing. the front is full of slits.

on the subject, of tubes, It is a power amp so I have no real clue why it has the 12ax7s aside from maybe a rectifier. I am curious about replacing them with 12at7's for more headroom, and in my preamp. I know in the rectifier I wouldn't change the required tube. My question is when the headroom is lowered is the overall volume lowered? I will use this for bass mostly as well as some guitar, but I want volume over headroom if it can't be both.
Quote by askrere
It uses 6l6GC tubes and cannot as built be bridged (It's a power amp) I assume like at 60 watts per channel it's 2 per channel, because when it popped, the other side was all still glowing. the front is full of slits.

on the subject, of tubes, It is a power amp so I have no real clue why it has the 12ax7s aside from maybe a rectifier. I am curious about replacing them with 12at7's for more headroom, and in my preamp. I know in the rectifier I wouldn't change the required tube. My question is when the headroom is lowered is the overall volume lowered? I will use this for bass mostly as well as some guitar, but I want volume over headroom if it can't be both.

Good question, I'm not sure if putting a 12AT7 will actually reduce your volume or not...I would think not since it's all from the power amp.

I do know that long plate tubes are less prone to breakup, I have a JJ ECC803 S preamp tube in my Trace Elliot, and it seems to have very little breakup being pushed.
since it has 6l6gc tubes, could it be fitted with kt88s, 6550s or some other octet style tube with more power?
Quote by askrere
since it has 6l6gc tubes, could it be fitted with kt88s, 6550s or some other octet style tube with more power?

Idk, depends, that's something you'd have to ask Cathbard, but I would think you'd have to have the amp rebiased if you changed the type of tube.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Idk, depends, that's something you'd have to ask Cathbard, but I would think you'd have to have the amp rebiased if you changed the type of tube.

cathbard a guy on these boards? I assumed it would have to be rebiased, but I just hope everything can handle it. for $175 it's a good little bass/guitar tube amp, extra power and head room would be nice rather than buying a bigger more expensive amp.