So I got about three six string guitars now and I really want a seven string. I like to piss around and tinker with stuff so i'm gonna make a seven string out of one of my six strings. My question to you guys is what would look cooler, a jackson kelly seven string or a gibson randall les paul seven string.
It'll look the same lol. String gauge won't affect the look of the guitar. I'd go with the Jackson simply because of the scale length.
this does not sound in any way like a good idea.

you'll have to redo...basically everything. including cutting out the body and getting a new neck, new tuner(s), new pick-ups, new electronics (may as well), a new bridge, new nut...you may as well go full-force and just build your own guitar from scratch to your specs (25.5" scale or less can be problematic if you're going under B standard).
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
this does not sound in any way like a good idea.

you'll have to redo...basically everything. including cutting out the body and getting a new neck, new tuner(s), new pick-ups, new electronics (may as well), a new bridge, new nut...you may as well go full-force and just build your own guitar from scratch to your specs (25.5" scale or less can be problematic if you're going under B standard).

I think he meant that he is just going to tune up a 6 like a 7 so he wont have a High E. At least I hope that is what he meant...
This is not going to end well.

Just buy a 7, RG7321s can be found used for like $250.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, this sounds like a bad idea. Rather than potentially ****ing up a perfectly good 6 string as well as putting in who knows how much time and effort, you could just spend $200 on a cheap yet decent 7 string guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/dean-vendetta-vnxm-7-string-electric-guitar/516905000011000

Here ya go. It's at $169 right now. Don't know if you want to spend the money, but you'd probably spend around that much on new electronics and hardware to convert your 6 string to a 7 string. And this wouldn't be a pain in the ass.

But if you're set on changing one of your 6 strings to a 7 string, I'd say go with the Kelly!
I hope you're not thinking about adding a 7th string to a 6th string guitar. You'll pretty much ruin it. If you really want one that bad, sell one of your 6 string guitars and buy a decent 7.
Or, you could get a known quantity and just get a used RG7321 for $200.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by z28dylan
So I got about three six string guitars now and I really want a seven string. I like to piss around and tinker with stuff so i'm gonna make a seven string out of one of my six strings. My question to you guys is what would look cooler, a jackson kelly seven string or a gibson randall les paul seven string.

please tell me that you are not going to add a string to you existing guitar. it is much easier to turn a 6 string into a 5 string. what do you need two E strings for anyway?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
my plan is to get a cheap seven string from ebay and use that neck and bridge and a few other parts. then ill take my six string and split it right down the middle and add whatever little strip into the middle i need to so that the neck heel fits the body nicely. I think it is very duable, once i get things situated i'll track my progress for all you naysayers. this all hinges on my happy ass getting some finances and some free time. i may not get on this until spring break since i'll shipped away to college for spring semester soon. you guys should think of a good color too
Quote by z28dylan
my plan is to get a cheap seven string from ebay and use that neck and bridge and a few other parts. then ill take my six string and split it right down the middle and add whatever little strip into the middle i need to so that the neck heel fits the body nicely. I think it is very duable, once i get things situated i'll track my progress for all you naysayers. this all hinges on my happy ass getting some finances and some free time. i may not get on this until spring break since i'll shipped away to college for spring semester soon. you guys should think of a good color too

if you are buying one why dont you keep it that way?. i really dont think you know what this involves.

but why the hell would you buy a seven string to trash and cut a guitar you already have in half.

i look forward to hearing and seeing it. however i dont think i will.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
That'll be quite a project... You'll have to sand down the guitar, saw it in half, add a strip of wood in the middle by gluing it in , then route the strip to accommodate everything else and refinish it. You'll need new pickups, too.
Quote by z28dylan

I apologize for my rudeness as I have had a bit to drink tonight. But...

If you're serious, you're a dumbass.
Quote by z28dylan

Seems like an awful lot of work when you already have a 7 string you could play. And a bit of a risk too, since you could horribly disfigure your 6 string to the point of no return if you mess up. Plus adding another strip of wood would weaken the guitar body and mess with the sustain and tone. But, if you're really going for it then I'd love it if you kept us all posted. I'm sure the outcome will be interesting, and so will the process you go through. Good luck man!
I'll be looking for your future thread on how to fix your ****ed up guitar. This sounds like a lot of unnecessary work for something that already exists. If you want something to do, get a 7 string kit and put it together and build it to your specs. Would probably be a much better end result. If you're going to do it though, i'd say the Kelly. The scale length will work better. I'm also not a fan of Jacksons so i think if one got ruined i'd prefer to see that one end up in pieces. :P
i can't believe there are so many doubters, it's just wood and i'm a cabinet maker. there are plenty of guitars out there with bodies that are about four pieces held together by glue, splitting this guitar and gluing in another piece isn't that radical.
Quote by z28dylan
i can't believe there are so many doubters, it's just wood and i'm a cabinet maker. there are plenty of guitars out there with bodies that are about four pieces held together by glue, splitting this guitar and gluing in another piece isn't that radical.

That's your problem. Guitars aren't just slabs of wood with strings on them, they are musical instruments. There's a lot more that goes into a guitar then just cutting up some wood and throwing parts into it.
Lol you have to understand that this is the internet. Everybody assumes that someone with this type of question is a noob trying to do something radical to show off and most people are an ass just for the sake of being an ass, myself included :P. I think most people are just trying to make sure you know everything that goes into a modification like that. And to most people it probably seems pointless when it would be simple to just buy a seven string with the desired specs and mod things like pickups. As for color, i'm a big fan of green guitars myself. Depending on what you play, maybe give it more of an 80's shred guitar look? Could be cool .
Quote by z28dylan

if you want to build a 7 stringer from scratch do it. if you are going to turn your 6 string into a 7, by buying a 7 to mutilate and wrecking a 6 string, why the hell would you do that? you would already be paying for a 7 string, so why not have it intact, and leave your six stringer functioning.

you do realize that necks are all different shapes? i dont know the proper names for all of the dimensions, but first off, some are thicker on the bolt on area, some are slimmer, if you get one that isn't thick enough, your fretboard could be laying on the guitar without room for pickups or a bridge. the heel is always different, the cutout for the contour (where your palm of you fretting hand goes where you go on higher frets.

scale could be an issue.

all of this for one strip in the body that would be about a 1/2" wider or less, while wrecking two guitars, to end up with a most likely inferior seven string that you already payed for, that you could be playing a decent seven string the way it came out of the factory and you would still have your jackson. plus you would need more parts so you really would be spending even more than just the guitar to butcher, but buying parts for your creation on top of that.

does any of this compute for you?

i think this deserves another
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
ya i know the variations in neck, a lot of ibanez necks are rounded near the heel and the guitar has to match it, i've already done that with a bc rich V that i put an ibanez neck on. as for ruining the INSTRUMENT and not just cutting up wood, if i get the same kind of wood the body is already made of (alder) then glue it in there it is no different than the four blocks that were glued together in the first place to just make the body. if i split the guitar right down the middle between the 3rd and 4th strings then spread it a little with a new piece of wood so that it fits the neck then all the other hardware will fit right in with all of the original holes and what not. i can use the seven strings bridge, pickup guards, string eyelets, and even the neck screws. if the pickup cavities dont work out i'll router them out, if the bridge doesnt want to fit i can fill in the original holes and drill in some new ones.
honestly you're better off just buying a 7 string.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
a cheap 7 string will have cheap 7 string hardware

if you're gonna do this at least buy quality parts
modes are a social construct
But wait, why not build your own guitar? All you need is a wooden box with a hole in it, a plank, some tuners and of course strings, but you can use very thin wire. After all, why doubt? It's just wood.

U know guitars are actually just slabs of wood with hardware and neck bolted on right? Of course there is the shaping and routing and finishing but if he measured properly (you may have to cut it at two angles because the 7 string heel compared to the 6 string heel is probably less than the 7 string bridge compared to the 6 string bridge). As long as he measure everything properly there isnt any reason not to do it if he is set on it! Besides many American Strats are two piece bodies anyway, there isn't any problem with adding a little strip in the center! Would using dowels going straight through the center strip and into both sides of the body help at all?
Quote by z28dylan
ya i know the variations in neck, a lot of ibanez necks are rounded near the heel and the guitar has to match it, i've already done that with a bc rich V that i put an ibanez neck on. as for ruining the INSTRUMENT and not just cutting up wood, if i get the same kind of wood the body is already made of (alder) then glue it in there it is no different than the four blocks that were glued together in the first place to just make the body. if i split the guitar right down the middle between the 3rd and 4th strings then spread it a little with a new piece of wood so that it fits the neck then all the other hardware will fit right in with all of the original holes and what not. i can use the seven strings bridge, pickup guards, string eyelets, and even the neck screws. if the pickup cavities dont work out i'll router them out, if the bridge doesnt want to fit i can fill in the original holes and drill in some new ones.

It sounds like you've got everything figured out, but I still think it's a bad idea. The more separate pieces of wood you have in the body the less sustain and tone it will have (I think so anyway, It makes sense) but if you're really this set on it then go for it. I can't wait to see the final product.
I don't think question is whether or not you CAN do this...Only you will know that. It's a matter of practicality. The idea simply sounds totally impractical, and there's a lot of room for error. You can avoid the error AND have two guitars if you simply buy a 7.

But hey, man. If you go through with it, post some pictures..I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Best of luck,
Keegan
watch videos of Dave Weiner on youtube and you'll get a good idea of what's possible with it. If you buy one with the intent of just chugging on it, don't bother just buy heavier strings. But if you approach it as a way of helping with ideas or chord progressions then you'll really benefit from it.
Quote by zubin.isaac
But wait, why not build your own guitar? All you need is a wooden box with a hole in it, a plank, some tuners and of course strings, but you can use very thin wire. After all, why doubt? It's just wood.

U know guitars are actually just slabs of wood with hardware and neck bolted on right? Of course there is the shaping and routing and finishing but if he measured properly (you may have to cut it at two angles because the 7 string heel compared to the 6 string heel is probably less than the 7 string bridge compared to the 6 string bridge). As long as he measure everything properly there isnt any reason not to do it if he is set on it! Besides many American Strats are two piece bodies anyway, there isn't any problem with adding a little strip in the center! Would using dowels going straight through the center strip and into both sides of the body help at all?

i dont know why i would know it, but you should since you are a cabinet maker, right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!