I like post rock, indie, and alt as the title says (durr). I also like Muse.

Anyway, I am looking for a bass that would be good for post rock/indie/rock. I would also need a combo amp/head and cab (I don't need too much power since I do not play in a band currently and I probably won't for a few years). What brands should I be looking at? What effects for should I get? OD? Fuzz? Compression? I can hold off of getting effects for now, but if I want some later it would be good to know.

I live in Canada, so things are a bit more expensive and harder to find. I wouldn't mind buy stuff used. I sort of want to buy new because at the store nearby you can pay for stuff month by month without really paying much more, which works a bit better for me. As for budget for the bass and amp... I'd like to spend as little as possible. ;D But I'd say $700 as the absolute maximum.
The bass I currently play is a Yamaha RBX170 (I'm renting it). I really like it. I've played some Jazz basses and others and I've always liked the feel of the RBX170 more than anything I've played so far.

There is also a Peavey T-40 on sale nearby and it looks cool. What's everybodys opinion on it?
The Peavey T-40 is a cool bass.

I'd look at the Galien-Kruger MB series combos. If you want to keep it pretty cheap, Accoustic makes diecent practice amps. Maybe look in to a small MFX unit for bass, it will give you lots to mess around with.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is a like 2 page thread on T-40's right down below this one. I have a GK MB200 head but it's the same amp as the Gk MB combos just in head form. It's a pretty cool little head, absolutely clean and hi-fi.
Don't bother buying any effects until you have an amp and a bass and some experience. You don't want to spend $500 then find out you hate bass and can only make $200 selling it used. And fiddling with effects doesn't help you learn the basics or theory.
Quote by askrere
Don't bother buying any effects until you have an amp and a bass and some experience. You don't want to spend $500 then find out you hate bass and can only make $200 selling it used. And fiddling with effects doesn't help you learn the basics or theory.

Like I said in my origanal post, I probably won't be getting effects right now, but I want to know what to get when the time comes. I've been playing for 5(ish) months so I do know the basics and some (not much) theory.
I've got an Ibanez SR500.. It does me fine; I recorded my post-rock project with it. It's pretty versatile to be honest.

My amp's a Laney RB8, a 300W combo. I reccomend you check both out, I can get a really nice sound out of both of them.

Effects wise, you want to look at distortion, mainly, and perhaps a chorus pedal. I don't know too much about effects pedals, but I've heard some glorious tones out of my friend's MXR M-80 distortion pedal, give it a look.
The Peavey T-40 is comparable to a Ric so thats pretty sweet. If you like it and can handle the weight and price i'd say go for it. I have a Squier Jazz and like it. Very versatile. You also can't go wrong with a good ole P-bass. The Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modern series are very good for the price.

As for amps, Acoustic makes excellent amps for the price. Not just practice amps. I used their 200w head and 115 cab and liked it. Effects, look up what people you like use, although I recently did this and found that everyone (it seems) uses an EHX Bass MircoSynth (which cost quite a bit). I just got a Joyo Ultimate Octave and I really like the fuzz.

Found this blog the other day. Might find it useful.
THAT's how great he thinks they are

To the OP... a T-40 is a good choice. A MiM Jazz or P is also a safe bet.

On the amp/cab side... look used. Old Peavey and GK are my favorites. You should also be able to find a 1x15, 2x15 or 4x10 for a decent price.

On the effects side... Fuzz and Chorus are GREAT places to start, as bass really shines with them. From there you can decide what other sounds you need.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
THAT's how great he thinks they are

To the OP... a T-40 is a good choice. A MiM Jazz or P is also a safe bet.

On the amp/cab side... look used. Old Peavey and GK are my favorites. You should also be able to find a 1x15, 2x15 or 4x10 for a decent price.

On the effects side... Fuzz and Chorus are GREAT places to start, as bass really shines with them. From there you can decide what other sounds you need.

A 2x15 is always a great deal, because the original owners back is broken and wants to pass it on to the next eager guy.

How much should a 400RB or 800RB go for used? and what watts can they both respectably handle?