Hey guys, got a question. Ive been using a usb interface with with only two preamps for the longest time now (and it has served me well), and i think its time for an upgrade. I was looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 . I really like it aspecially since it claims that its "Protools 9 ready", as Protools 9/10 is somewhat picky as to what interface you use, I also like it because you have the option of hooking up another one for more mic pres. But my laptop doesnt have a firewire port. It has a slot for a firewire card, but I was wondering if this would be viable option to use the card. I was looking at this particular model--> Link . Any help is appreciated greatly. Thanks guys

I use a Toshiba Satellite if it helps.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Sure, that should work. If you can, try to find a card with a TI chipset, I'm sure they make them in the laptop cards, and they are what is recommended for recording.

The Pro 40 will work fine with Pro Tools 9, mine runs on it just fine. Also, you don't need two of the same interface to get more mic pres, you can hook up an ADAT or S/PDIF mic preamp/converter/whatever you want to it. Mine is running a Behringer ADA8000 into it's ADAT inputs for a total of 16 mic inputs. The Behringer is really one of only two products that they make that I'd ever suggest buying. Not the greatest preamps on it, but considering the price you can get them for on the used market, they're not significantly worse than anything else twice the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd make sure your laptop can record 8 tracks before you by an 8 channel interface. My Toshiba Satellite could barely record two at a time (i got in 2008)
Last edited by FireHawk at Dec 24, 2011,
Ok cool. Thanks guys. It should do fine recording at least eight. I borrowed my friends USB Tascam interface wich had 6 preamps(and all 6 were being used). I ran it into reaper, as Protools wont support the tascam's buffer settings, and it actually worked really well. I experienced very little latentcy. So i would imagine it could handle it, but you never know . thanks again guys.

Edit: Oh, and if its not too much trouble could somebody point me in the direction for a firewire laptop card with a TI chipset. I cant seem to find for or I'm looking in the wrong websites. Thanks
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Last edited by Drew Dolezal at Dec 24, 2011,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150004&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-PC+Cards/PCMCIA+Add-on+Cards-_-SIIG++Inc-_-39150004

"Powered by Ti XIO2200 chip and fully supports IEEE 1394-1995, P1394a-2000, OHCI 1.1 standards, and is RoHS compliant. The FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard is also fully compatible with a wide variety of Windows and Mac OS operating systems."
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Dec 25, 2011,
thank you very much!^
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
I absolutely like it aspecially back it claims that its "Protools 9 ready", as Protools 9/10 is somewhat captious as to what interface you use, I aswell like it because you accept the advantage of hooking up addition one for added mic pres. But my laptop doesnt accept a firewire port .