Page 1 of 2
Compare your christmas holiday now to when you were a child. Just as good? Not as good? Better?

I think of myself as a generally positive person, who every now and then has moments of cynicism (as most people do). But damn, when I think back to being a kid on christmas morning, it's hard to imagine ever being that happy.

Nowadays, I still can't complain about christmas, but nobody really cares about it, and everyone in my family is just getting some cash. Me and my friends don't really get each other presents.

Partially inspired by this comic by The Oatmeal:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/christmas

Christmas when you're a kid is all about you being happy.

When yer grown it's about making other people happy.

Both are enjoyable for different reasons.

INSIGHT!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
PRESENTS PRESENTS!!!! OMG
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I'm excited to have my life slightly improved by the sennheiser headphones I'm getting. But I can wait. I don't think Il have trouble sleeping tomorrow night due to over excitement
Christmas went from being the best time of the year, to being an overall pretty crappy time for me, back to being a pretty awesome time.

Pretty much, what Element said. I spent a while chasing after that "magical Christmas" feeling that I had as a kid, and when I couldn't capture it, I didn't like Christmas for a few years. Now, I've found a new meaning behind Christmas, and while I wouldn't say Christmas now is any better or worse than it was as a kid, I still love it. Now, it's all about seeing my little cousins / siblings faces light up when Santa pays a visit. It's unreal.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Last edited by zippidyduda at Dec 24, 2011,
meh, I don't really get excited for christmas anymore. I mean, I can't really complain about getting/giving presents, but it's just a good day for me instead of being the greatest day ever like it used to be
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I used to be a geek as a child (still am), but it was an overwhelming joy just to imagine all the computer gear and videogames i would get on christmas...i simply didn't want to imagine them so i would get overly excited when seeing them... but now...well... is a good thing my dad still has the musician vibe in him and still makes me happy with an amp, some mics or something (but for this it doesn't need to be christmas)....now i'm just asking the fat dude in red for a freaking job to pay the rent and have a decent christmas with my little girl and girlfriend...
Quote by Zoot Allures
Terrible, christmas is a shadow of its former self.

This. I wouldn't even know it was Christmas if my family didn't remind me. All I'm getting is some money, absolutely nothing to look forward to.
West Ham United
Quote by zippidyduda
Christmas went from being the best time of the year, to being an overall pretty time for me, back to being a pretty awesome time.

Pretty much, what Element said. I spent a while chasing after that "magical Christmas" feeling that I had as a kid, and when I couldn't capture it, I didn't like Christmas for a few years. Now, I've found a new meaning behind Christmas, and while I wouldn't say Christmas now is any better or worse than it was as a kid, I still love it. Now, it's all about seeing my little cousins / siblings faces light up when Santa pays a visit. It's unreal.

This.

I still love getting presents, but there are a lot of others things I now enjoy about the holiday. Like you said, it is very enjoyable seeing younger siblings and cousins get presents. Makes you think back to when you were like that.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by King Donkey
This. I wouldn't even know it was Christmas if my family didn't remind me. All I'm getting is some money, absolutely nothing to look forward to.

I'm getting sick of all the anti christmas talk that goes on now too, it brings me down. It's like a bandwagon and it's annoying as hell, if 'christmas is just another day' then stop saying it sucks -_-' it makes no sense.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm getting sick of all the anti christmas talk that goes on now too, it brings me down. It's like a bandwagon and it's annoying as hell, if 'christmas is just another day' then stop saying it sucks -_-' it makes no sense.

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Zoot Allures

Well you started it. >_>

But I suppose you're still right, I am being overtly negative. I just can't imagine myself being really happy on Christmas again. These guys that are saying they enjoy watching their younger relatives light up over Santa, they're lucky. Since I moved to Australia I have no family apart from my immediate one so I don't have the same luxury. Maybe when I eventually have my own kids or my siblings have theirs I'll feel differently.

For now, even if I am getting a really cool gift like a new guitar, I'm not going to have too much trouble sleeping on Christmas Eve.
West Ham United
Quote by element4433
Christmas when you're a kid is all about you being happy.

When yer grown it's about making other people happy.

Both are enjoyable for different reasons.

INSIGHT!

This is true, but I feel like being selfish and am going to say it's lame now.

I cried when my parents told me Santa wasn't real.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Zoot Allures

HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO LET PEOPLE KNOW I'M DIFFERENT AND EDGY??!!!!?!!!!/////SHIFT

THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH LINKIN PARK I CAN GO AND LISTEN TO.
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
Quote by /PurpleWhalez/

HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO LET PEOPLE KNOW I'M DIFFERENT AND EDGY??!!!!?!!!!/////SHIFT

THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH LINKIN PARK I CAN GO AND LISTEN TO.

Slipknot?
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by King Donkey
Well you started it. >_>

But I suppose you're still right, I am being overtly negative. I just can't imagine myself being really happy on Christmas again. These guys that are saying they enjoy watching their younger relatives light up over Santa, they're lucky. Since I moved to Australia I have no family apart from my immediate one so I don't have the same luxury. Maybe when I eventually have my own kids or my siblings have theirs I'll feel differently.

For now, even if I am getting a really cool gift like a new guitar, I'm not going to have too much trouble sleeping on Christmas Eve.

I was agreeing with you in your post .-., it has become worse than it was than as a child, but it's never gonna 'suck'. It just isn't anything compared to the past glory

I was more reffering to people who just say 'christmas sucks' for the sake of it, and get artificially riled up about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b3iU-INDo
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
I was agreeing with you in your post .-., it has become worse than it was than as a child, but it's never gonna 'suck'. It just isn't anything compared to the past glory

I was more reffering to people who just say 'christmas sucks' for the sake of it, and get artificially riled up about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b3iU-INDo

Holy shit, I just typed 'let it snow' into Google. Mind = blown...

EDIT: Actually that's another thing I miss since moving to Australia, snow at Christmas. So much joy ;_;...

You just put me in a Sinatra mood, that's life, that is. La la laaa.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by bradulator
This is true, but I feel like being selfish and am going to say it's lame now.

I cried when my parents told me Santa wasn't real.

Quote by bradulator
Santa wasn't real

0/10
Back in my day trolling meant something.

You're telling me the presents just materialize under the tree???

You tell your parents they can go fuck themselves.
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
Last edited by /PurpleWhalez/ at Dec 24, 2011,
Quote by King Donkey
Holy shit, I just typed 'let it snow' into Google. Mind = blown...

EDIT: Actually that's another thing I miss since moving to Australia, snow at Christmas. So much joy ;_;...

You just put me in a Sinatra mood, that's life, that is. La la laaa.

No one sings a good christmas song like Frank , or any song for that matter :p and, 'let it snow' was written on one of the hottest days of the year in America, its about wanting it to snow so it works in christmas even if its hot
The only thing I don't like about it now is the food. I used to love the turkey and ham, etc, but now I just hate all of it. Still plenty of candy at least.
Presents got better but I wouldn't say that Christmas got better. As cliche as it is, as I got older, it became more about seeing family. Moreso now that I live 12000 miles from my family for 50 weeks of the year
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Compared to what it was as I kid, I still like Christmas almost as much, albeit for very different reasons. Now, I enjoy the great feeling of joy someone gets when you give them a REALLY good gift. I sort of pride myself on getting everyone something they'll love (As long as it stays in my budget >_> )

As for watching younger family members enjoy Santa's bounty, that's pretty much over for me. I have a half-brother who is 10 years younger than myself, and last year was his last year believing in Santa, so i'm not sure how much Christmas morning is going to change now that he's a jaded cynical bastard.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I fucking love Christmas. It is the greatest holiday of all time. I think everyone should celebrate, religious undertones be damned! It's as good, if not better, than when I was a kid because I don't have to scrounge money to get presents for people.
Did Xmas as a little girl but not anymore. I miss the nice food but that's about it. I don't think people make it from scratch as much now. home made fruit mince pies- I just might make some for heck of it now-
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I used to think christmas was amazing, but now i don't even care because i'm so alpha. If my work wasn't closed i'd be working christmas day :\
My family's been using the holidays as an excuse to argue more than usual, my "vacation" is gonna be spent working in the mornings, and then doing 2 ****ing weeks worth of homework. Oh, and my girlfriend broke up with me.

Nah, I don't think Christmas was always this much fun.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Holy shit, I just typed 'let it snow' into Google. Mind = blown...[\QUOTE]
it sucks that this doesnt work in canada??

I don't really know what to say about Christmas. I'm not expecting any gifts, the best part about it is getting to take a vacation to a country I've never been to before and seeing my sister's first child who was born on the 1st of this month which was also my birthday.

Oh yeah and seeing real snow for the second time ever.

I am not looking forward to having to get the ex-boyfriend something, but I know I have to. Cuz he just might get me something and what kind of a person would I look like then? He always bitches about how no one ever gets him anything so I'm quite obligated.

I'm more looking forward to the shopping to be done on boxing day when I can spoil myself. I really need it. Christmas doesn't compare at all to when I was a kid. I had every reason to be exstatic. I feel sort of melancholy now.
Joanna.
E-Married to the sexy mcjosh
Last edited by DarkConcertine at Dec 24, 2011,
It was once full of joy. Me and my brother would be so excited that we couldn't sleep days before. Now it is a burden, and a source of sadness.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I'm only in it for the food. For me christmas used to be 7 people and now the number of people (n) has doubled to 14 (in general 10 =< n =< 16)

It's not like I ever got amazing presents as a kid. This year though, we're going on holiday on boxing day. I'm ****ing looking forward to that.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by King Donkey
Holy shit, I just typed 'let it snow' into Google. Mind = blown...[\QUOTE]
it sucks that this doesnt work in canada??

I don't really know what to say about Christmas. I'm not expecting any gifts, the best part about it is getting to take a vacation to a country I've never been to before and seeing my sister's first child who was born on the 1st of this month which was also my birthday.

Oh yeah and seeing real snow for the second time ever.

I am not looking forward to having to get the ex-boyfriend something, but I know I have to. Cuz he just might get me something and what kind of a person would I look like then? He always bitches about how no one ever gets him anything so I'm quite obligated.

I'm more looking forward to the shopping to be done on boxing day when I can spoil myself. I really need it. Christmas doesn't compare at all to when I was a kid. I had every reason to be exstatic. I feel sort of melancholy now.

Hey get him one of those 'donated to charity in your name' things- obligation is fulfilled and he can't complain about it!
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Of course, when I was a little kid back in the 1960's, Christmas was my favorite time of the year. Now, though, I don't care. I have enough stuff and if I want more I can buy it myself.

The only thing that really depresses me about it, though, is reading news articles about people who are supposed to be adults having fist fights or worse over crap that will likely be hitting their local landfill in five years, if not sooner. Get a grip, you apes.
i only got two candy canes a year for christmas

then again my family is muslim
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Well it's damn sight more expensive to start with, when I was a kid I didn't have to buy a damn thing for anyone else, infact my parents used to insist that me and my siblings don't buy them anything. When I was quite small I once asked my Dad what he wanted for Christmas and he said he just wanted his family to enjoy it and that would be enough for him.

Now I have my own family, so now I can appreciate what my Dad said all those years ago a lot more. The pressure of trying to ensure that you get the right gifts for people tends to get you down a bit and the very last thing I would want is for my kids to have to experience that pressure, so like my Dad, all I want for Christmas is for my family to enjoy Christmas, which in turn will make all my efforts worthwhile.
My kickboxing gym had one of the adult members go into the kids class on thursday dressed as Santa and spar with all of them. I didn't get to see it but I heard it was hilarious.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Page 1 of 2