Pros vs. cons, the difference in tone, etc etc. I need to upgrade distortion and these two look like good options. Now I need to decide.
Mad Proffesor Mighty Red CB.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Mad Professor is too much cash for me, and if I'm going to go for one of theirs, it's going to the Stone Gray (in addition to whichever MXR I end up with and a good light overdrive).
Personally, I found the 78 to be more responsive and versatile (could get good overdrive-esque and distortion sounds), whereas the Distortion III just sounded buzzy and gross to me. Just my two cents though.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Personally, I found the 78 to be more responsive and versatile (could get good overdrive-esque and distortion sounds), whereas the Distortion III just sounded buzzy and gross to me. Just my two cents though.

Any idea which one's got more gain behind it? I'm really looking for something with some muscle- My amp distortion is great, but can't really get heavy, so I'm looking for something I can toss pinch harmonics off with, that doesn't sound like some Icelandic metal band (not that that isn't cool). Also looking for good dynamics (which I assume is what you meant by more responsive).
they are both pieces of shit
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Guild King
Any idea which one's got more gain behind it? I'm really looking for something with some muscle- My amp distortion is great, but can't really get heavy, so I'm looking for something I can toss pinch harmonics off with, that doesn't sound like some Icelandic metal band (not that that isn't cool). Also looking for good dynamics (which I assume is what you meant by more responsive).

Once again, I am pretty biased, but everything you just said sounds like the 78 to me. Seriously, it has balls. The thing that really amazed me about the pedal though, is that I could go from a clean to dirty sound with just my pick attack (which I've never experienced in a distortion pedal before). If you get the chance, try to get into a guitar shop and try one out, I think it might be right up your alley.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Once again, I am pretty biased, but everything you just said sounds like the 78 to me. Seriously, it has balls. The thing that really amazed me about the pedal though, is that I could go from a clean to dirty sound with just my pick attack (which I've never experienced in a distortion pedal before). If you get the chance, try to get into a guitar shop and try one out, I think it might be right up your alley.

That's exactly what I'm looking for- I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.