Recently I've been wondering about what is the best/most accepted way to tune a bass drum? How do you guys go about it? Currently I have it so that the resonant head is very loose, and I tightened each lug until I couldn't turn the key with just one finger. I did the same with the batter head, but then tightened them all just a quarter turn more.

I want to try a different way though, so what have you found to work well?
I get a pretty good tone out of mine by tuning the reso head at about a medium looseness, and then tuning the batter head just tight enough to get the wrinkles out. Gives it a nice, powerful boom. I have a self dampening batter and reso, so I don't need a pillow or anything, so that may be the only thing you'd have to change.

//edit/// Since theres really no base for you to know what my kick sounds like, here's a link to a quickmix we did in a couple hours. Listen to Tragic Beauty.

http://www.reverbnation.com/avantgard

(I hope the link is okay. Its for reference, not solicitation.)
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Last edited by Taerran at Dec 24, 2011,
I usually like to tune the batter head quite high and tune the resonant to more or less the same pitch, sometimes a bit lower though, if I feel that it might be at a risk of snapping or getting out of tune because it's too high.

Also for reference, when I put a new head on either side I like to tune it high enough to where I can hear the skin crackling, so that it stretches out quicker, and then I leave it to settle for around 24 hours. Afterward I retune it, then I put a single pillow inside, and I leave it in with the face of the pillow (rather than the edge) lying entirely against the batter head. I use a Drumdial as well.
Quote by Steve08
I usually like to tune the batter head quite high and tune the resonant to more or less the same pitch, sometimes a bit lower though, if I feel that it might be at a risk of snapping or getting out of tune because it's too high.

Also for reference, when I put a new head on either side I like to tune it high enough to where I can hear the skin crackling, so that it stretches out quicker, and then I leave it to settle for around 24 hours. Afterward I retune it, then I put a single pillow inside, and I leave it in with the face of the pillow (rather than the edge) lying entirely against the batter head. I use a Drumdial as well.

This. I almost always do this if I have time to do so but I tighten the batter a little past finger tightening point, like TS does, then put the single pillow inside with the face of lying against the batter. I also put a beater pad on as well so I get that nice fat boom with some click definition. I find this method works best on 22" kick drums for some reason.

And I don't use a drum dial.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I tune my kick two to three turns above wrinkles and my reso just above. Just remember tha your batter head is attack and the reso is tone.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410