Hello

This is not to say which is best, you have to use both at the right time, they are both very useful. In short ...

I currently use the economy picking, almost anywhere! For now, I can easily get around 120-130 or even slightly more in the sixteenth with economy. (except for plans such as penta-2 notes, for example)
The choice of the economy or the alternate is in my view that the sound is desired, and the effect.

The economy will have a more legato and softer (listen Gambale) while the alternate will have a stronger attack.

I'm quite a fan of Gilbert, Satriani, Vai, Petrucci etc ... and they use the alternate fully.
I do not like the sound produced by the economy, too "smooth" for my taste and not adapted to styles I play.

So I asked the question "Should I go back to strict alternate?" the answer can be that positive.
The problem is now and that's where I ask for your help: how to go back to strict alternate? I know I will greatly suffer martyrdom while trying to return but I am a beginner and I do not want to go on the wrong, I will have to correct again later.

Do you have advice to return to the alternate pure? Should I repeat what I'm doing very, very slowly, with high repetitions but strict alternate? How you go about you?

Thank you in advance.

Ps : sorry for my bad english, I'm French !
Hey I'm actually in the same situation you're in. I used economy picking over alternate picking, just like you. I haven't mastered it yet but I'll tell you my routine and you can see if it helps in any way.

What I'm doing now to get into the habit of strict alternate picking is chromatic 1-2-3-4 sequences on each string. I do it slow and deliberate with enough reps to feel "warmed up" and then a little faster at a more natural pace with high reps.

You can also try different combinations instead of the simple 1-2-3-4.

For example you could do this:

-------------------------------------------------
----------1--------1-2------1-2-4------------
--1-2-4------2-4--------4--------------------

to practise movements across strings, which I think is the essence of the transition from economy-dominant picking to strict alternate picking
I used to be in a situation like you. You can use the same exercises you use for economy picking with alternate picking. 3 notes per string scale runs are good.

This exercise also works well. Try starting with both a downstroke or an upstroke.
-------5------
-5-7-8---8-7-5

It should feel kind of awkward at first but string changes are what's different in these two picking techniques.

EDIT: Also what the above poster had. That exercise is GREAT for this.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Paranoid777
Just practice your scales and arpeggios with alternative picking and try to get the highest speed possible without hurting your right hand. and download Petrucci's Rock Discipline, it's pretty useful

NO!

Do not push for speed at all, you're basically completely re-learning your picking technique so for god's sake don't push past any speed where you have complete control over what you're doing until you know you won't revert back to economy.

Take it slow, make sure you're getting it right whenever you play and just alternate instead of economy.

Aside from that it's a question of just doing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I see.
That's what I thought, I have to redo my exercises I was doing in the economy as alternate.
I will not immediately resume the same exercises I usually do in economy. They are perhaps a little too hard to get used to the alternate.
I will do exercises very simple so that the movement becomes automatic and not that I have to say "here is an up and here is a down" in short, not having to think about what I do.

It's really hard to do that without thinking, I hope it will not take too long to return to the alternate ..

The other problem is that I must not play the music I usually play.
For most of my riffs (often Metallica etc ...) I am in economy, so if I do my exercises correctly to return to the alternate and adjacent I make my riffs in economy ... it will be a disaster.

EDIT : After some time of reflection, I will stop the exercises I'm doing and start over.
I will simply follow the exercises Petrucci (rock discipline), and do whatever alternate. I think it can work, time, discipline and good exercise! ^ ^
That way, I start at 0 and correctly. I hope to quickly forget the automation of the economy

Thanks ! If you have any other tips let me know! ! :P
Last edited by Syndromed at Dec 26, 2011,
And ... in fact ... The true question is ... : it is possible ?
I think that yes because a lot of people can do both ...
What do you think?

Ps : sorry for double post, just dit it to go it up
It is quite possible to do both. I'm not going to pretend I'm an awesome player but I'm at least competent in both styles of playing and there's no reason you shouldn't also be able to do it!

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It is quite possible to do both. I'm not going to pretend I'm an awesome player but I'm at least competent in both styles of playing and there's no reason you shouldn't also be able to do it!

Thank you for the reassurance! I'm gonna practice now !
I had the same problem, when I reached 8 months of guitar playing I suddenly realized I had been economy picking the entire time. It took me a solid month to change over to strict alternate picking but when it comes to economy picking vs. alternate I'd choose alternate picking any day of the week it feels so much more natural aswell. Practice scales and any other riffs you can get hold of spend time and practice slowly and eventually build up speed. best of luck!
Yes, that's exactly what to do.

Since I created this topic I have everything redone in alternate, and it is almost back to 100% as before. (well at times, I still have to check to be sure, but it is in the right direction!)
courage to those who need to do that! inevitably it will come! do not give up ^ ^