I have a bunch of money lying around that I want to use for my bass rig. I currently have a Squier P-bass and a Fender Rumble 350 (350 W transistor) amplifier. I have something over 1450 € at my disposal.

I keep my (main and only) amplifier at the band rehearsal place, so at home I'm without an amp but I still play bass at home (without the amp).

So should I get an acoustic bass or a smaller bass amplifier, to practice at home with?
Playing along to songs at home can be hard when you have trouble hearing yourself over the song when you don't have any amplification at all.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Amp, ever time.

Acoustic basses are next to useless anyway, they are not loud enough to be played with even an acoustic guitar; you need to amplify them anyway to really hear them.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If I had that money and I was happy with my main amp, I'd just get something better than a Squier.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Amp, ever time.

Acoustic basses are next to useless anyway, they are not loud enough to be played with even an acoustic guitar; you need to amplify them anyway to really hear them.
That isn't true of all of them; I've played some acoustic basses that were actually relatively loud.
Relative to what?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Amp, ever time.

I would also use it to just f*ck around with, and when I move out I think it'd be better in an apartment than an amp.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
get a presonus firewire interface and some decent computer monitors. learn to produce and practice at the same time. make mad beats, sell to rappers/rap producers, buy an amp/bass with that
modes are a social construct
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
I would also use it to just f*ck around with, and when I move out I think it'd be better in an apartment than an amp.

hahaha Amps have headphone jacks man. I also live in an apartment. It really sucks when you want to turn it up and the 5-0 knocks on your door haha. As for acoustic bass never really heard or played 1 so couldn't tell ya.
Acoustic basses are usually meh after countless discussions on here, I think the consensus is you can get a good one but it costs a good bit.

I think a small amp would be good with a headphone jack, but if your about to drop 140 pounds which is like what $250-$300? that is a mistake as well. Just get a cheap Peavey microbass or something out of a pawnshop, your not using it to perform just practice.

I think a better or upgrade pickup, pickguard, maybe a pedal, more cables, hard shell case, strings, straplocks, a DI unit, fix up the amp, better speaker? The list of things you can upgrade are endless, they may be less glamorous but they are all good to have.
I'd say a decent multi-effect board and some headphones. If you get a decent one, you'll get some good effects to use, a small preamp, a recording interface, and possibly even a looper, all in one unit. When you want to practice just plug some headphones or speakers in then off you go.
I use a multi-effect pedal and headphones myself to practice with, I also have a mixer, an electric drum kit and a guitar multi effects pedal in my house for when we need to do a really quiet jam session
Have the volume low with the songs you're playing along with and the bass unplugged. Otherwise just get some headphones. An acoustic bass isn't needed, you may as well get a double bass if it comes to that.
You could grab like a Bass POD or something and plug some headphones into it like everyone else is saying