Through my recent stent into technique, I've realized that a HUGE problem is in my little ol' pinky. I can use my pinky decently enough, but I realize the dang thing really pulls hard in an upward fashion.

That is to say, that in any legato permutation involving the pinky (or anything involving it really), in any thing played afterwards I notice my pinky lifts further and further. The more I try to focus on keeping it down the harder it becomes... which is probably only natural. The more one focuses on something the harder it becomes to preform said action.

Can anyone link me to a thread or site with an exorcise that slowly tames this beast of a pinky?

At the moment I'm trying to do so with that chromatic scale thing , and FreePower's finger independence exorcise, but I don't know if these help with this or not?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Got the same problem here. The only way (I've heard) to getting your pinky to behave itself is to train it using a chromatic exercise of sorts recommend by my guitar teacher:

Start by placing a finger per fret in frets 1 to 4 on your 6th string.
Then move your first finger to the first fret on the 5th string - keeping all your other fingers down where they are as you do so. Do the same with your other fingers until you have frets 1 to 4 on your 5th string fretted.
Repeat until you reach the 1st string. Then do it backwards.
NB: you shouldn't lift a finger from the strings at any giving time when doing this exercise

Apparently it works. I haven't done it enough yet to show any results, but it doesn't require much effort and you don't even have to play a note to do it.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Dec 24, 2011,
Anything and everything will do as long as you indeed focus your attention on keeping it down, if it rises you pull it down (brain over matter, brain over pinky).

Fps excercises and spiders will do wonders.
If the pinky rises on anything you stop, you pull it down you repeat.
If you cant that means you are doing it too fast, slow down even more keep at it like a lab rat untill your brain makes it automatic.

Relax your hand as much as possible.

Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 24, 2011,
There are no exercises that will directly help with this issue, what you need to do is actually entirely counter-intuitive but makes perfect sense when you think about it.

First key fact: your pinky will raise the more you try and lower it. Effort will not help and can introduce tension in to your hand which is obviously the exact opposite of what you want.

Key fact number 2: the opposite of fretting a note isn't lifting your finger off, it's simply not fretting.

Now, bearing these two things in mind what you need to do is easy and very very hard at the same time:

When you're done fretting a note with the pinky, don't lift it: just relax your hand. If you try and keep your finger in a certain position you will likely make yourself more tense, if you lift your finger you will obviously not have it near the fretboard, so just relax.

You can do this with any exercise or any song that requires use of the pinky but you will need to go very slowly at first to make it work at all. That's fine, that's good: you can only control what you're doing and therefore improve your technique by playing slowly, like three toed sloth on barbiturates slowly.

I promise you though, if you take this method and work with it you will see improvements in what you do. It may take time but you will get better.

Remember: relax.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Damn, another Zaphod victory is in hand. I tried that, and well... it works instantly. Though I obviously have more time to spend on this, just relaxing the pinky into raising made the pinky behave like I generally wanted it to... Now just to perfect it with repetition.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Damn, another Zaphod victory is in hand. I tried that, and well... it works instantly. Though I obviously have more time to spend on this, just relaxing the pinky into raising made the pinky behave like I generally wanted it to... Now just to perfect it with repetition.

Just glad I can help dude, I hate this misconception that in order to have good finger motions you need to force your fingers to stay close to the fretboard.

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.