Ok.. I know, it's probably been asked, but I couldnt' find it...

I know that basically, when using an Amp that has an Effects loop, the distortion elements of your pedal board usually sound best when put between the guitar and the amp... However... I recently got a Peavey Windsor Half Stack and I Love it.. I play blues, and classic to sometimes hard rock. I love the way the Windsor sounds on the cleanest possible setting.. I get a little bite and a little break up, but if I back off the volume pedal a little bit, it's very clean...

I retired my old 74 Twin Reverb to the studio (old girl's pushing 40, and I don't want to keep slinging it around the truck anymore). When I was using the Fender, my favorite distortion pedal was my dunlop Fuzz Face (just the stock red one) but through the Windsor, no matter where I put it in the chain, it sounds horrible...

So.. my question is... (I'm planning on trying it later today, when it's not 28* in my garage) Is it going to hurt anything to put the Fuzz Face in the Effects loop, and what kind of effect on volume, or the other effects, reverb, delay, etc... will it have. or is it just going to make a horrid noise before my tubes catch fire..

I know somebody's tried it..

Before I get "you need a two channel amp" or "Get the [insert amp name here] with the exception of the fuzz face being a disapointment, I'm very happy with the Windsor. It's not the best amp out there, but it works for me in my band...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
lol - its not going to catch your tubes on fire! Are you using the effects loop now? Whats your signal chain look like? Im guessing your wanting to just add a little grit every now and then right? Im sure you know this but the effects loop "send" is the signal just after the preamp stage. So any sound shaping your amp is doing is done at that point and is getting "sent" out for further processing. Add pedals here like reverb, delay, noise gate (if your using amp's dirt), etc. Then it dumps back into the amp via the return and the signal goes to the power section of your amp. Generally you run your dirt in front of the amp. I doubt your gonna like the sound of it in the loop but it WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING to try it.. You will get a volume boost for sure running it that way. You should be able to level it out with the volume on the fuzz tho.
Quote by surjer
lol - its not going to catch your tubes on fire!

LOL.. I really didn't think it would, however I was interested in some of the responses that would elicit...

In the effects loop now, I am running , in order "Send" Delay, Chorus, Reverb "Return"

Before the amp, "Guitar" Tuner, Wah, Compressor, MXR Classic OD, Boss MT2 (don't start...) nano boost, Volume Pedal, Amp.

No matter where I put the Fuzz Face, it's just Hideous.. Thin, yucky, dirty, muddy, just plain Gross... I thought I'd give the only place I hadn't tried a shot.. I think the next place I'll try is Craigs list... LOL

Thanks for the Answer...

BTW, I use the MT2 for slightly harder than the Classic OD will get me, and have never tried to get a "metal" tone out of it... the gain is set only at about 8 O'Clock (6 being off) Heavy on Mids and bass/treble slightly dipped and I get an AC/DC 'ish sound out of it. The pedal was free, from a guy that wanted a "metal" tone... which they suck at..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
As i suspected you already know what you are doing! Try it out all over and if you dont like it you just dont like it. Just curious but does the gain boost not give you enough grit for what you are wanting?
Quote by surjer
Just curious but does the gain boost not give you enough grit for what you are wanting?

It does.. but only one channel... And in my opinion, it sounds great either with Master on 12 and Gain very low, or Gain way up high, and master down low... the in between fuzz factor gets a little whiney... In a cover band so need lots of different tones.. "Stormy Monday" followed by "Sin City" followed by Tom Petty... so I need to get most of my sound through pedals anyway... The Classic OD and MT give me a wide range when I use vol knobs or volume pedal, or a combination...

I'm guessing that the fuzz face sounded real good with the ultra cleans of the Twin Reverb, but with the slightly gritty cleans of the Peavey...

Just got home from the Family Christmas dinner, so I may give the Effects loop a shot.. but, I suspect you're right, and I'm probably not going to like the result.. LOL so I may be posting a slightly used Fuzz Face in the "For Sale" Section.. LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!