Hey guys, something that has been bugging me for some time now. I have YET to get a good sound out of amplitube for recording my bass guitar. I get a wayyyy better sound hooking the bass up to my peavey vypyr at low volumes and mic'ing that. I dont want to do that for long so im thinking i need to get a bass amp. I here so many people use amp sims for recording bass tho it makes me wonder what im doing wrong. I have an old Alvarez Bass with Passive EMG's (Made for Alvarez, and the EQ preamp from EMG). Its a sweet sounding bass guitar when played through an amp but i just cant find anything i like in the amp sim. I've heard of impulses being used but not sure how to use those and if that is indeed the missing component to recording good bass DI. Whatever the case, i'd like to know what is the more popular method right now. Mic'ing or DI?
Just have it DI'd clean. I almost never use amp sims on my bass parts.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
the usual method is to DI it clean, and then add any effects in the mixing stage.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Sometimes DI'd bass can sound alright in the mix, but personally I think it can sound sterile. The best solution is to record a mic'd amp as well as a clean DI signal. That way you can compare/blend the two in the mix and see what sounds the best.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
Sometimes DI'd bass can sound alright in the mix, but personally I think it can sound sterile. The best solution is to record a mic'd amp as well as a clean DI signal. That way you can compare/blend the two in the mix and see what sounds the best.

x

This guy knows whats up.

I personally put a mic up to my bass amp in a position that it captures a speaker and the tweeter horn both in a decent balance. I'm lucky enough so that the amp has an XLR direct-out built into it, so I use that for the DI signal.
I do this live as well. How much of the mic'd signal the sound guy uses varies, but I like to know he has the option.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
When i record DI i go from the bass to the audio interface's Instrument In which is rated for the high impedance signal. After the dry track is recorded i add a low pass and a high pass filter and then try out different amp sims. None of them sound good. The dry signal is "lame" sounding if that makes sense. It sounds like what it is, a very dry direct bass line. I dont mind mic'ing my amps but i hate to go BUY a bass amp if i can get away with DI. I will not be giging with the amp as thats the bassist job! lol, if i ever find one.. So if i did by an amp it would be strictly for recording purposes.
Unless you have the proper mics, I really can't see micing a bass amp sounding better than DIing

Try DIing straight in and doubling your track. The first one, run clean and cut off everything but the lowend with an EQ. The second, cut off everything but the high end and then run TSE's B.O.D. (it's free) on the track for some grit. This should give you the lowend rumble that adds to the mix, but doesn't stand out too much, and the clank of the strings to add more attack and grind. Remember to compress/limit the crap out of it; unless you want a ton of dynamics, bass needs to be squashed in a mix or you'll get parts that have little to no bass, while others have wayyyy too much.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^The SM57 starts rolling off, at a pretty steep rate, at ~150hz, with a total response of only 40 to 15khz, not very suitable for bass. The B3 I can't seem to find a response curve for, but it does go down lower. I'd expect it to be fairly similar in its lowend to the SM57, though, as most Studio Projects LDCs I've used were very bright. You'd need something more along the lines of a Shure Beta52 or AKG D112 to properly mic a bass amp to reproduce the lowend.

Definitely try the BOD route. You might even find the TSE tubescreamer sim in conjuction with BOD gives you a great sound as well, depending on how much grit you want
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^The SM57 starts rolling off, at a pretty steep rate, at ~150hz, with a total response of only 40 to 15khz, not very suitable for bass.

Mostly true. I've found that using a 57 as a second mic on the horn works pretty well if you're trying to get the most out of your cabinet. Use one mic that has really good low-end response for the main speaker(s), a 57 on the horn, and you've got the whole picture.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
You guys have just opened up whats going to turn out to be another 6 months in research. "Response Curves". No idea what the numbers actually mean. Sound Waves are still "magic" to me at this point. I did find this on the B3

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/b3_tech.html

As for your comment about it being bright its definately that! I bought it with hopes of using it for recording vocals. Havent had the oportunity yet but i will tell you this. With that mic turned on, i can hear whats going on all the way across the house! I have to turn EVERYTHING in the house off to use that mic. Eventually i need to sound proof my studio area in order to use this thing! lol - For now, singer's gonna have to stand in the closet! lol
Ampeg SVX from IK Multimedia.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
hey guys, i redid the bass like you had described and that makes a HUGE difference. Its like, that plugin by itself i was like, ok - no much difference here, but subtle adjustments all over the place on the eq, compression, etc i think i am better off now then when i had started! lol - I also retracked the guitars with the SM57 so its not a really good comparison but anyways, here is what i am working with..

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surjer/music/all/play1071206

Thanks again!