Hey all.

Not long after I built my budget SG I gigged it. Left it unattended for a while, came back and some ****er had taken the plastic electronic cavity cover, pulled both caps and damaged something else, there's been a constant grounding noise since even though the other wiring is intact, I assume a pot wiper got lifted or something. -.-

Who in the hell does that I don't know, but anyway, I figure I can use it as an excuse to upgrade.

Have a Tonerider Generator in both neck and bridge - I strongly suspect the bridge pickup is faulty since it went quiet and sounds very flat. I have no way of testing the pickup so didn't bother returning it.

The neck pickup, I am very happy with, sounds great even on the worst of amps.

I am thinking of buying a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the bridge for the sake of Guns N' Roses, along with a Digitech Hardwire TL-2.

However, the guitar's body isn't great - only cost £80 with original electronics etc, a Liberty L106GX.

Is it really worth getting the TL-2, and bridge pickup on a cheap body?

Any recommendations for pots/caps etc for that guns n' roses sound?

Cheers!
I'm a firm believer that no guitar is too terrible to be not worth upgrading. If you like the guitar, by all means go ahead. As for pots and caps, the standard for that kind of guitar is 500k, and usually linear taper for volume and audio taper for tone, though that's really up to preference. Alpha and CTS pots are pretty good - CTS are a bit more expensive, though they're supposed to last longer. Whether that's true or not I'm not really sure, you be the judge on that one. Caps are usually .022uf, I'd recommend Sprague Orange drops, though this is pretty much all personal preference. Do some research and try a bunch out.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 25, 2011,