Hi there,

I recently had some upgrade work done on my Japanese Gibson Marauder clone.

I bought a blend pot from Allparts:
1 x Dual 500K Bourns blend/balance audio taper pot - with center detent

I got the chap doing the upgrade to pit this in place of the standard three-way toggle switch.

I've seen folks demoing Marauders on Youtube and the blend swicth seems to give endless variation in terms of blending the single coil bridge and humucker neck together.

However with mine fitted I pretty much get three sounds - bridge only, neck only or both with no extra variation... I don't have to rotate the switch very far from centre to go to one or the other- any extra rotation makes no extra discernable difference.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to why this might be the case? Wrong sort of blend pot? Incorrectly wired?

Thanks very much in advance...

On a related matter i'd love to put a louder, meatier pickup in the bridge without changing the look of the guitar (it's wider than a normal single coil but not as big as a P90) and suggestions?

cheers

Mr B
Quote by blaaargh
You want a linear taper, not an audio taper.

This, you want a pot that will go 10%, 20%, 30% and so on, Audio taper goes something like 10%, 25%, 45%, 70%.

Linear is constant in terms of actual current flow, audio taper is designed to change the frequencies in relation to human hearing. Audio taper to the human ear will sound more like a natural, steady increase, but linear sounds like it's a sudden increase, when it's actually not.

In terms of use as a blend pot, you want linear taper.
Thanks very much! I found this one.. hopefully it will do the job better:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Blend_Pots.html

(As I believe is common with Marauders) the bridge single coil is quite thin sounding and a fair bit quieter than the humbucker. This being the case, should I get a 250k pot r a 500k pot? The Stewmac site says:
"Generally, 500K-ohm pots are used with humbuckers and 250Ks are used with single-coil pickups. You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. "

Further advice would be much appreciated!
Merry Christmas!!

MrB
Changing the pot value won't help balance the pickups. You're just going to have to get something beefier. If you can rout out the cavity a little, you might consider going to a p90. Otherwise, you'd want a stacked humbucker or something like that. In either case, you'd probably want a 500k pot.
Thanks for the help, have ordered the 500k pot...
Probably won't replace the single coil for now - will see how it sounds with better blending...

I wonder if it might be possible to remove the inside of the resin encapsulated single coil and put suse toe outer casing to cover an alternative single coil...

MrB

Quote by blaaargh
Changing the pot value won't help balance the pickups. You're just going to have to get something beefier. If you can rout out the cavity a little, you might consider going to a p90. Otherwise, you'd want a stacked humbucker or something like that. In either case, you'd probably want a 500k pot.