It seems I can come up with ideas but they never go anywhere

- not finding the right chord for a melody when i know a key and its chords

-generally sucking at rhythm

-not being able to compose riffs

-------

Mind you I can write progressions and even a sng with a verse or two, but it doesnt have any spice on it.

Examples of songs I can play damn well are

High and Dry

Wonderwall

Everlong

------

How do I take an idea lets say a melody and make a worthy song?

Thanks for all your help and patience

been playing two years now
Dont try too hard. You'll screw it up then. what are your influences? When I write songs, I generally sit down with my guitar, play around a little till I find a chord prograssion I like, then I just improvising with lyrics (on the idea that I have) until I get it to sound how I want. It takes patience and practice, the more you do it the easier it'll be.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Nirvana, Michael Mcdonald, Gorrilaz, Paul Simon(sort of), Billy Corgan, Thom York, Ozzy, Mos Def, Real Estate, Foals, Stevie Wonder
Whatd you mean? Do you write lyrics and them come up with the melody after? and just try and slam the two together?
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Do you try to find the chords before or after writing the lyrics? And Im not sure I understand what you mean by finding the chords? Finding chords that fit together nicely? Or sound good for how you sing?
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

I mean finding the appropriate key of a melody the finding the chord progression that goes with it. An if i do find those chords -then spicing it up. I can never do this.

I also have problems with rhythm
Sit down with your guitar, and bugger about for a few hours. until you find something you like. Practice is all it takes, same with rhythm, but you have to feel the rhythm, try tapping your foot to the beat.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by SamuraiSeven
I mean finding the appropriate key of a melody the finding the chord progression that goes with it. An if i do find those chords -then spicing it up. I can never do this.

I also have problems with rhythm

Don't always feel you have to 'spice up' the chords you are using. There's a reason so many songs are written with the same chord sequences - they sound great!

I have written several songs that when I actually look at the chords I've used, I realise I've stuck to the same G, C, D chords that I have used elsewhere. Using a capo can really open up the guitar and find a new key with the same chords.
Quote by tmisdriving
Broaden your tastes beyond 90s alternative rock.

Lol I barely listen to alt, I dont , however, really consider that a solid genre every band was different in the 90's Pablo Honey is much different than Gish or The Cardigans or Limp Bizkit. They lumped everyone together simply because they we unique. I draw from different songs and different bands. The most inspiration comes from Mos Def just because of the poetry of his lyrics. I have incorporated rap into my songs. But trust me my mom brought me up on everything from the carpenters to the temptations to earth wind and fire. I recently looked back at the 90's and I do play grunge as well.

I just want to know how to make the songs in my head, I dont want the song to be for the sake of itself.

Thanks please lets keep this discussion growing, not only for me. But how do ideas come to true fruition and not forced growth.
Last edited by SamuraiSeven at Dec 26, 2011,