I was reading some top 100 films list, and the most recent movie out of the top ten was in 1972 (which was The Godfather).

And whenever you see a top 10 list, whether it's for movies, music, guitarists, etc. Sure enough it's the older guys that are more appreciated. Which is understandable, since they've had a longer time to let a legacy grow, and in a lot of ways you could say the modern forms of those artistic mediums have gotten where they are by climbing on the shoulders of giants.

But onto the topic of this thread. For things like films, music, guitarists, etc. I think it's pretty hard to deny that there is simply much more respect for older things.

Do you think that under any of these artistic mediums, the older shit really is better, and it's lost its artistic integrity and talent over the years? Or do you think its modern form is just as respectable as it was back in the day, and the new stuff just hasn't had time to let a legacy be created (examples of a legacy being created would be the reputation of movies like The Godfather, or musicians like Beethoven or Jimi Hendrix).

Also, please for the love of god just don't even mention Justin Bieber at all in this thread. Please.
Think about the demographic that list caters to, or the age of the people writing it or polled to get the results. Chances are they're ancient.
I think creativity though adversity brings something special and unique to any work of art. Modern technology takes away a lot of the problems that we used to have with film, music, etc and I think that, in turn, makes these works more sterile. There's something to be said for using chocolate syrup in a shower to create the illusion of blood. Just my two cents.
PM me for newts
I think artistic value in a film, or any medium really, is a highly personal thing that can't really be blanket-termed by saying something like 'only older ________ are better, their value is lost on the young.'

Especially in a forum like movies, which are usually very closely linked to an era or period in time where the content is culturally relevant to what's current when it's made.

Something can be appreciated for artistic value based on broad criteria on a baser level, but I really don't think that value in art is something that can be accurately quantified.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I respect photographers infinitely more if they are from before the digital era and developed film themselves. Most arts kind of take a turn to making it easier for the amateur, and as such I have a greater respect for the front-runners that go through the harder aspects while it develops, but i don't think it makes their art any more or less worthy.
On the contrary, a lot of modern music listeners have a complete obsession over if a song is one of the five the radio still shuffles through. If it is not, then the mention of such a type of song is lol worthy.

"NIGGA THAT'S OLD!1 LOL" is a pretty common response when a song is heard that was released in a year that was not this one.

When stacking up who is the best ever at something, including music, I do agree with favoritism to predecessors whose younger artists styles are deeply rooted in.
I think the mindset of "older = better"/"newer=unoriginal/lasting integrity" is ****ing ignorant and anyone that fully endorses it is a complete moron.
I think it's annoying, especially with movies. It seems like every list of the greatest movies I see there is almost nothing from 1985 onwards. It's just stupid.

Actually music is the same also. Classic rock had all of the best songs ever apparently.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
That stuff has stood the test of time which is why I think older things are more respected. Most of them were innovative too.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I generally prefer older music overall, i think modern music technology is a great thing in many ways but it is also easily abused. An example would be perfectly good bands being overproduced and having songs made 'perfect' in the studio. Corrected drums , perfectly in tune vocals and guitars, etc etc.

All that kind of thing that sucks the life out of a lot of music unless the music was always intended to sound that way. Which is why a lot of my favourite albums were recorded in a far more basic way, like the first doors album, live in the studio with no overdubs as far as i'm aware and it sounds great.
Quote by StewieSwan
I think creativity though adversity brings something special and unique to any work of art. Modern technology takes away a lot of the problems that we used to have with film, music, etc and I think that, in turn, makes these works more sterile. There's something to be said for using chocolate syrup in a shower to create the illusion of blood. Just my two cents.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I generally prefer older music overall, i think modern music technology is a great thing in many ways but it is also easily abused. An example would be perfectly good bands being overproduced and having songs made 'perfect' in the studio. Corrected drums , perfectly in tune vocals and guitars, etc etc.

All that kind of thing that sucks the life out of a lot of music unless the music was always intended to sound that way. Which is why a lot of my favourite albums were recorded in a far more basic way, like the first doors album, live in the studio with no overdubs as far as i'm aware and it sounds great.
Usually I disagree with posts that have an attitude of "more modern ____ lacks emotion/depth/life" or as Stewie put it "more sterile." But I totally agree with both these posts 100%.
Quote by Zoot Allures

This is the great thing about still being a good live performer, when you don't make your songs out of studio tools and little segments (oh hey Herman Ri) you can ace things and spice them up live, even if you are intoxicated.

Unfortunately for everybody, even if you are put on the spot to play some Dragonforce and you aren't Herman Li, overdub wank like that is still pretty impossible to perform.
So long as the media in question isn't weak or contrived, and isn't so polished that all of the warts have been buffed out, I don't give a damn when it was made.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Also (slightly off-topic, kinda relevant), I can't really say if this has gotten worse over time, since I didn't really watch them back in the 70s or anything, but I hate movie trailers now.

I saw Sherlock Holmes, and there were a good 5 previews before the movie, 4 of which were for action films. And they all used the exact same formula and setup. The same dark and gloomy colors, same sounds, the same build-up with an unexpected silence following, the same introduction to the title of the film, etc. It's like they were all made by marketers and each had no. originality. whatsoever. I mean, it just seems like everyone in the audience should just find it an insult on their intelligence.
Quote by The Madcap
Also (slightly off-topic, kinda relevant), I can't really say if this has gotten worse over time, since I didn't really watch them back in the 70s or anything, but I hate movie trailers now.

I saw Sherlock Holmes, and there were a good 5 previews before the movie, 4 of which were for action films. And they all used the exact same formula and setup. The same dark and gloomy colors, same sounds, the same build-up with an unexpected silence following, the same introduction to the title of the film, etc. It's like they were all made by marketers and each had no. originality. whatsoever. I mean, it just seems like everyone in the audience should just find it an insult on their intelligence.

This so much! Just saw the new Mission Impossible today (which was quite good) and there were eight, EIGHT, previews!

They were all the same, and none of them were The Dark Knight Rises, or The Hobbit. The only two that I would have cared about.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by The Madcap

Modern movie trailers are designed to trick people into seeing a movie. They make you curious and show you some cool action scenes and some whisper-voice narration saying some 'epic' line, but they never reveal enough about the movie. It's become more of a marketing trick than an advertisement. WANNA FIND OUT WHAT THE FUCK YOU JUST WATCHED? COME BUY A TICKET BRO!

On the other hand, old movie trailers basically just gave you a plot synopsis.
PM me for newts
I think there is a skewed perception here.
"the past" is a really broad term, if I said music from the past is generally better than music from(say)this year I would be able to mention all my favourite songs from all of history to prove my point whereas I only have a small selection of music that I enjoy that was released this year.
So it will always feel as though the present is shittier than the past because "The Past" is always much larger than "The Present"

mmkay?

EDIT: I'm a thread killer.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Last edited by strait jacket at Dec 25, 2011,