Ok, first off I know that I need a good set of monitors. That'll help me out a lot, so right now I'm saving up to buy some. I'm not exactly new to recording, but I'm not very proeffcient at it either. I've been doing solo recording for about a year and a half. I have been in a studio a few times, but really didn't pay as much attention as I should have back then.

So, I've got some songs I've recently recorded. I have a Line 6 UX1 and have been using Pod Farm for the most part. I haven't really messed with Revalver much and didn't care for Amplitube. I do have a friend that got a pretty good sound out of Amplitube, but I'm not sure of his setup. I record through Reaper and have been using Addictive Drums. I just started learning how to route AD and eq/comp each drum. For bass I've been recording through the UX1 and using Amplitube's Ampeg sim. I haven't really found anything I like from Pod Farm (I have the standard version). The bass has gave me the most troubles. The signal is all over the place. I try to be very aware of my dynamics when I'm recording, but I can't get it to be smooth like with the guitar. And then when I run an amp sim and eq I can't get a solid sounds through the whole thing. I'll have good low end and the mid/hi will be then or vice versa.

I feel like I'm getting better, but I'm still not happy with where I'm at. You can compare the new songs (Falling Down, Like Zion) to the ones I recorded last summer. I haven't been able to get a guitar tone that I'm real happy with. I feel like I have too much gain, but when I pull it back it sounds thin. And I'm just winging it when I mix and master. I've been using T-Racks to master everything.

So I know this has been pretty long winded, but if you could listen to the tracks I have put up. I'm not really looking for a crit on the song writing (though I'll listen to any suggestions or what not) as much as the production. I've read a lot of threads on here and researched stuff online, but I'm just not happy with the finished product. So I'm hoping and outside set of ears will give me a good opinion on where I am at and what I can do to make it better.

Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/control_room/1162187#!/whendsasterstrikes
Ok, I'll just start listing off things I would change/try to see what you like going off listening to some of your stuff.

Guitar tone is too harsh, low pass at 14k hz to cut some of the frizz, high pass at 50hz or more to let bass fill.

Drums sound good, but DO NOT compress them unless you HAVE to, compressing the drums with the whole mix will mess with the overall volume level.

The bass guitar, download the Classic Compressor VST and run a quick to medium attack with a 182 millisecond release on the bass, and that should even it out.

Try out some of Poulin's amp sims, like the LexTac, LeCTO, or Legion, they might give you a much better sound than what you are using. Or Nick Crow's 8505(Peavey 6505 sim) which will give you a better metal sound.

The songs are pretty good as they stand, but I'd try those things, and start fiddling with amp sims and impulses to change your sound up.

If you are going to compress anything, only compress it to the point you need it, don't compress it to make it louder, that usually will create clipping and reduce your volume in the long run, compressing the entire track when it renders.
Thanks a lot. I try to avoid compressing, because I (like most people probably) tend to over do it. I do use some compression in T-Racks when mastering, but maybe I should cut that out. I do have the Nick Crow's sims, just never really used them. I guess I'm just trying to get a better sound out of Pod Farm since it has more bells and whistles. But I'll start messing around with the Nick Crow's stuff. I've been reading some more and saw people suggested TSE BOD for bass. I just downloaded it, but haven't gotten to use it yet. As far as impulses, I've read a lot about them recently but have not used them. I'm assuming it'd be better to use impulses rather than the cab sims. Again, thank you very much.

*edit* I made some of those changes to Falling Down and reuploaded. I'll have to start everything from scratch to get some noticeable differences.
Last edited by ronhoward at Dec 25, 2011,
Try TSE X50 for guitar. It's one of the best high gain amp sims I've used and I own many if the expensive paid programs. I haven't used anything else since that one came out
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks I'll check it out.

Also, I can run some of these amp sims in standalone mode and get some good sounds. But if I record then plug them in as vst it doesn't come out the same. I'm doing everything the same and putting them in the same order, but it just doesn't work as well for me.
Quote by ronhoward
Thanks I'll check it out.

Also, I can run some of these amp sims in standalone mode and get some good sounds. But if I record then plug them in as vst it doesn't come out the same. I'm doing everything the same and putting them in the same order, but it just doesn't work as well for me.

When you load it as a VST you need a cab loader like Poulins Lecab and impulses to put in that cab loader. You put the cab loader behind or under the amp sim and it'll work like a charm.

You can check out the how to record preamp out method link in my sig, skip about half way down the lesson to the part when I talk about cab loaders and how to set it up. It applies to the preamp out method, as well as amp sims, so that should help you.

If you look in the RR, somewhere there is a link to the Catharsis Studio impulses, which I use, and are some of the best possible impulses around. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

EDIT: Here's the link to those impulses. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/631208/UG%20Amp%20Sim%20Tutorial/catharsis-awesometime-fredman.zip
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 25, 2011,
I already had them downloaded and messed around with them in Revalver. I'm thinking that if I use Pod Farm or Amplitube or whatever the impulses will work a lot better than the built in cab sims. I'm not too familiar with them, but it's something I'll work on.

Other than tone my biggest concern was the levels in the mix. Like I said, I don't have monitors right now so it's tough to get an acurate idea of my mix. I have some spectrum analyzers, but never have had any practice with them.
Ok, I uploaded a new track I recorded (Good Enough). I think I got a better mix with the advice given. Let me know what ya think and anything else that might help.
Quote by ethan_hanus
... with a 182 millisecond release on the bass...

That's pretty precise, man!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Try TSE X50 for guitar. It's one of the best high gain amp sims I've used and I own many if the expensive paid programs. I haven't used anything else since that one came out

AGREED, im working on some Post/metalcore and i have been *eham* cracking certain vsts like Reavey Pevalver (lol) and Fod Parm ( XD) however, the second one listed needs an ilok key so thats outa the Q.I prefer this free vsti x50 because its very simplistic and the results are amazing. The impulses i use are based off of JJpower tubes and man o man it sounds sick. I hope more people post mixing tips and what not, i have A TON of music on my profile and i feel as over time im getting a heck of alot better with finding what works (also recently got my monitors and us1641 interface) as far as recording mixing and mastering goes, but im not quite producing a pristine final master.

Good thread!

mike
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mikevmpr3 at Jan 1, 2012,