I currently play in an Alternative-Punk band and just started looking into heads and I'm very interested in the Orange Tiny Terror, but will 15 watts be powerful enough to gig with? (I'm mostly playing small-medium venues, outdoors on occasion)
Depends on your drummer for one thing.
Does your drummer beat the shit out of his drums or does he daintily tap them?

Also depends on if the places you play have a PA system.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, most likely, but if you want a clean tone it'll never happen at that wattage.

ive gigged with 5 watts and gigged with the tiny terror in a full rock n' roll cover band no prob. if you want clean tone then no. my highest wattage amp is 30watts and it is way overkill for any venue i have ever played

edit- in other words ethan rocks and is right!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
The simple answer is that cleans will be nada, but if you want distortion then yeah. It will be VERY loud for 15 watts and should be fine. I've been asked to turn down my Vox AC15 set CLEAN.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
With a band,30 isn't enough. 50 is perfect. I know because I had 30W amp in band.
As many others have said, you won't be able to get a clean tone with 15 watts in a band. However, it will be more then loud enough if that was your concern.
@Steve18222 - just out of interest, was your 30W a valve amp or solid state? I would tend to agree that 30 is just too low if solid, but a 30W tube amp feels much more powerful, and does tend to cut through the drums & bass more.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
I'd say definitely not. I had a TT combo and even on full tilt set dirty, it still wasn't loud enough. The problem is that a lot of people on here don't really gig.
In my application, a 30 watt tube amp isn't usually loud enough earlier, but someone with a small Blackstar or Jet City amp will tell me otherwise I'm sure.

50+ for a dependable live rig.

Edit: The TT becomes very compressed when cranked, so it might be quite loud on it's own, but I doubt it would cut through very well. I only used mine for a few moderately loud rehearsals, and it wasn't enough.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by jimbob78
I'd say definitely not. I had a TT combo and even on full tilt set dirty, it still wasn't loud enough. The problem is that a lot of people on here don't really gig.
In my application, a 30 watt tube amp isn't usually loud enough earlier, but someone with a small Blackstar or Jet City amp will tell me otherwise I'm sure.

50+ for a dependable live rig.

Edit: The TT becomes very compressed when cranked, so it might be quite loud on it's own, but I doubt it would cut through very well. I only used mine for a few moderately loud rehearsals, and it wasn't enough.

About a year ago I played a 500-800 person gig (biggest gig I've ever played) with a 30w amp pushing a 1x12 speaker and the volume knob didn't go past 2 1/2 the whole show.
Meh, some 15 watt amps are louder than other 15 watt amps. I've seen people play clean with a Blues Jr live.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Strats&Cats
About a year ago I played a 500-800 person gig (biggest gig I've ever played) with a 30w amp pushing a 1x12 speaker and the volume knob didn't go past 2 1/2 the whole show.

What sort of band? Miced? What amp?

There are times where you'll get away with it. I've had several lower powered amps (loud ones too) - Cornford Hellcat, Hiwatt Studio Stage, and they weren't enough. Not quite.
As an amateur/semi pro, you need some in reserve. If you do it for a living, you can use a 1 watt amp and put it through a monster PA.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

*shrug* I guess it can depend on what type of music you play and how loud the other people in the band tend to play (as another poster mentioned, especially the drummer). I guess if you're playing metal and your drummer is always at full blast dynamically, you might feel a need for a 50+ watt halfstack, but otherwise I don't think it's generally necessary for live situations.

In the music scene I frequent around here, I see people getting away with playing through unmiced 15-30 watt tube amps (like the Dr Z Maz 18, or the Galaxy) connected to a 1x12 cab at clubs all the time, and there's no volume issue really. No one but the singer is miced.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Steve18222
With a band,30 isn't enough. 50 is perfect. I know because I had 30W amp in band.

Wrong. If you're talking tube heads, 15W is MORE than enough. Anything above 30W tube and you're going to struggle getting the master volume past 2-3, and tube amps sound better cranked, fact. I've gigged 5W tubes with a three piece band and could be heard more than clearly, albeit with no cleans. 15W stays clean enough for surf when cranked in my current 3-piece.

EDIT: *Source* I gig nearly every weekend at a wide variety of venues. Any venue worth their salt mics amps anyway. I take a mini mic stand and an SM57 just to cover if they don't have their own amp mics, but tbf it's not really needed at most of the bars and clubs I play at, 15W cuts fine.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Dec 25, 2011,
Depends on how loud your drummer is and how clean you need your cleans. This is what to do - hire one like you are thinking of buying. Take it to a full rehearsal with your band and see how it competes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@ EMarkM and jukejointjohnny - Custom 2 channel amp. 4 tubes in power amp and 3 more in preamp. Maybe because of the drummer. My suggestion: go in store and try Egnater Rebel 30 or Orange Tiny Terror.

Btw: 30W vs 50W. 30W has 4 power amp tube,50W has 2. On 30W is easier to "develop" overdrive sound but 50W is louder.
Any venue worth their salt mics amps anyway.

I don't really think this is true. For example, one of the main venues I go to jam nights at (one of the classiest venues in town, to boot) has a nice sound system and all, but the house band never mics anything but the singer, I.E. there are simply two mic stands with sm58's for vocalists to use.

The house band always has great sound - unmiced. The one occasion in which there was a soundguy who miced everything up, it sounded worse than normal, the guitars sounded too bright, and there were level and microphone feedback issues that never were a problem before.

Quite simply, there is no real need to mic the drummer at a small club, and if the drummer is not miced, there's should be no reason to mic the amps either. Some would say this route sounds better anyways, because the live room quality isn't processed into oblivion.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 25, 2011,
See, in the area I live in, it's unusual for all the gear NOT to be mic-ed at a gig. The sound guys generally like to mic everything so they have complete control over the levels when it comes to balancing.
You'd also be surprised the amount of famous guitarists that have a wall of 'dummy' amps on stage and then a small combo hidden out of sight mic-ed up for their main stage tone. Certainly in club/bar gigs, I couldn't ever justify using anything louder than 30W - a 100W stack is wasted if your master volume is at 1 and your preamp gain is at 10, it's gonna be a fizzy mush. Just my opinion anyway.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Wtf? You own your own mic. You stick it in front of your amp, hand the lead to the sound guy and say, "here's my guitar."
What sort of dumbass sound guy would turn down the ability to alter the guitar volume in the FOH mix?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ccannon1
i'm running it through a marshall 1960A 4x12 if that would make it any louder

I had some 30 years old Marshall box. 4x Celestion G12 H30. 1960A has Greenbacks in it?
I think that for alternative punk, you'll want a higher wattage amp. A tone oozing with floppy power tube distortion probably wouldn't sound good in that scenario. Its my experience that you should be at least loud enough to be heard with a drummer with no micing when you gig, it helps the balance on stage and of the mix. The tiny terror might be loud enough, but anyone who says that it can be played over a drummer with no clipping in the power amp is lying, unless that drummer is playing with dusters.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Wrong. If you're talking tube heads, 15W is MORE than enough. Anything above 30W tube and you're going to struggle getting the master volume past 2-3, and tube amps sound better cranked, fact. I've gigged 5W tubes with a three piece band and could be heard more than clearly, albeit with no cleans. 15W stays clean enough for surf when cranked in my current 3-piece.

Depends on the circuit. Where I am, a 15 watt amp would simply not be enough.
And no offence, but the first two sentences sound like the rubbish people have been saying on here for years. I agree that you need the right power for the application, but I hate the bandwagon crap about everyone needing a 5 watt tube amp.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Depends on if it is an actual 15 watts RMS or Peak.

Numerous amp producers love to inflate their stats.

My Maz 18 watt is 18 watts RMS, and 30 watts peak running the stock rectifier.

18 watts is plenty to gig with...
I cant imagine a true 15 watt RMS amp being far behind in volume.