I've been looking to get a noise reducer/gate for a little while, and it's only really become more of an imperative after my recent gear acquisition a few days ago.

Basically, I'd like to know objectively what the differences are between the two ISP Decimator models, the MXR Noise Clamp and Smart Gate and the Boss NS-2, because I can't find any info anywhere really about what each pedal does without it conflicting with what someone has said somewhere else. Please do not go on the typical ISP Decimator is t3h 4w350m3 rant like a vast portion of these threads do. I don't care, I'm perfectly aware of how well ISP makes their noise gates.

From trawling various forums, this is what I've gathered:

The Decimator is a straight up cut-to-the-chase noise gate: input, output, threshold, that's it.

The G-String Decimator is essentially the same, but has two inputs and two outputs, one for stuff in front of the amp, the other for the loop?

The Noise Clamp effectively can add a loop where you want it, and it compares the signal that is coming into the input (presumably from a guitar or a guitar with compressor) with whatever is coming from the Noise Clamp loop and gating things in the loop accordingly.

The Smart Gate is more like a Decimator with a bell and whistle or two added.

The NS-2... I got lost because so many people use the X connection thing that I found it difficult to find out how the pedal was meant to be used in the first place, or what it can do etc.

Please correct me where I'm wrong, or if you have anything to add, go for it by all means.

On a more side note:

I've messed around with pedal order, pedal settings, having pedals physically there or not at all, played straight into the effects return etc etc and I've discerned that the noise that's being generated is from pedals, and not from lousy shielding, patch cables, daisy chain (though, yes, I assume they would contribute a little).

More specifically, my Pocket POD is what seems to be generating the most noise. I've been using it as a distortion pedal due to my lack of one at this time, and the fact that the HT-5 can't do a big modern metal tone on its own. I'm running it into a Blackstar HT-5RH into a HT-112.

I find it's ok to use it with headphones, but there is so much noise when I have it through the cab that is it very nearly unusable (this is with the full rig happening). It's generally *ok* if I play something (bit of hum), but I get some monstrous hum if not.

My normal rig into heaphones is: (see sig for actual items)
Guitar (Belman in sig, roughly equivalent to PRS Custom 22) -> Compressor -> Wah -> Tubescreamer -> amp -> POD -> EQ -> Phaser -> Delay -> return.

I have the POD placed in the loop because the sound (through headphones) becomes very stifled if it's placed in front of the amp.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I read everything you said and I don't really understand why you made this thread. Not trying to bash you or anything like that, I just don't understand what you're asking.

A typical noise gate (like the ISP stuff, NS-2, etc.) all have an adjustable "threshold" that cuts the sound to the amp when the voltage isn't high enough to pass said threshold. This gets rid of pretty much any kind of hum, but can affect the dynamics of the amp if the threshold is set too high.

A noise supressor/reduction pedal doesn't use a threshold or anything like that and instead filters the sound to get rid of noise. For example, I have an EHX Hum Debugger. This pedal filters out certain odd/even harmonics to eliminate hum. It works great for things like 60 cycle hum (from single coils), but doesn't do much to quiet an amps gain circuit, and will only eliminate minor hum, nothing big. Also, since the pedal is filtering out the signal from the guitar, there is some minor coloring from the pedal.

A few other random things:
-The pocket pod has a noise gate, a decent one at that. Just use that?
-Why are you putting the pocket pod through the amp, only to play into headphones? The sound is going to be garbage going into headphones anyway so you might as well just plug them straight into the pocket pod and safe yourself the trouble.
Quote by Strats&Cats
I read everything you said and I don't really understand why you made this thread. Not trying to bash you or anything like that, I just don't understand what you're asking.

A typical noise gate (like the ISP stuff, NS-2, etc.) all have an adjustable "threshold" that cuts the sound to the amp when the voltage isn't high enough to pass said threshold. This gets rid of pretty much any kind of hum, but can affect the dynamics of the amp if the threshold is set too high.

A noise supressor/reduction pedal doesn't use a threshold or anything like that and instead filters the sound to get rid of noise. For example, I have an EHX Hum Debugger. This pedal filters out certain odd/even harmonics to eliminate hum. It works great for things like 60 cycle hum (from single coils), but doesn't do much to quiet an amps gain circuit, and will only eliminate minor hum, nothing big. Also, since the pedal is filtering out the signal from the guitar, there is some minor coloring from the pedal.

A few other random things:
-The pocket pod has a noise gate, a decent one at that. Just use that?
-Why are you putting the pocket pod through the amp, only to play into headphones? The sound is going to be garbage going into headphones anyway so you might as well just plug them straight into the pocket pod and safe yourself the trouble.

Sorry, I'm a little tired and have a way of making things convoluted when I am (or maybe that's just me).
Anyway, thanks, the info you gave was kinda what I was after.
Didn't realise the POD had a noise gate. I'll look into that
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape