six months ago i bought a star caster from my friend, and im not sure if its a squire it says fender in small font. When I play it the notes sound out of tune. i asked my friend about it and he said it could be the truss rod needs adjusting, but i looked up how to adjust it and its only real for if your guitar is buzzing. so the notes sound wrong even when im hitting the right frets and the guitar is perfectly in tune, im an okay play so i know im not playing it wrong. can anyone help me? i think the the neck might be a little off position.
Last edited by darklink594 at Dec 25, 2011,
Check your intonation first. You may need to adjust the bridge saddles.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The newer Starcasters were sold in a starter pack and are pretty close to the low-end Squiers. Some older models (05'-06') with the pointed "arrowhead" headstock were sold by themselves and are somewhat better quality than the newer ones.

Don't understand exactly what you mean by the notes sounding "wrong" when you play them, especially if the guitar is "perfectly in tune". Maybe it's tuned in a different key than you're used to. Aside from taking your guitar into a repair shop, the best way to check the neck would be to lay a yardstick across the fretboard between the strings and look for gaps in the middle or on the ends which would mean it's bowed one way or the other. Also check to see if it's twisted. I'm no luthier, but this seems logical to me.

Good luck!
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
maybe it is out of tune
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
i tried it on a good amp and its new strings. and it still sounds like that not plugged in
As said it is just the intonation. But if it is a newer starcaster it could actually be a Squier Affinity. Ive been studying new starcasters for the past several weeks and I keep finding that a lot of them are squier affinities though this is not true for all of them. I know the ones with the large headstocks are simply just Starcasters and nothing more.
Kick your friends ass and go and buy yourself a real guitar for chrissakes . Starcasters suck . If you want a low budget Fender , get yourself a Squier Standard Strat . They only go for $230.00 brand new, and you can also go to Guitar Center's website ( www.guitarcenter.com ) and click on their used gear section where they have Squier Standards for around $100.00 on up.
Quote by jeffo46
Kick your friends ass and go and buy yourself a real guitar for chrissakes . Starcasters suck . If you want a low budget Fender , get yourself a Squier Standard Strat . They only go for $230.00 brand new, and you can also go to Guitar Center's website ( www.guitarcenter.com ) and click on their used gear section where they have Squier Standards for around $100.00 on up.

'cause thats why your guitar sounds out of tune...
I don't recall him asking advice on a new guitar.. Hmm must have missed that part.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
'cause thats why your guitar sounds out of tune...
I don't recall him asking advice on a new guitar.. Hmm must have missed that part.

Lol, .

Certainly has the christmas spirit.
'your guitar sucks, smash it good and buy a new one!'

On a serious note the first post is more then likely the issue.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Lol, .

Certainly has the christmas spirit.
'your guitar sucks, smash it good and buy a new one!'

On a serious note the first post is more then likely the issue.

Unfortunately, this should be the case with a Starcaster....
I had this issue on my guitar. The strings had somehow become stretched so the intonation was completely off past the 10th or so fret. Put a new set of strings on it, perhaps it'll sort it.
As others have said, double-check that your guitar's open strings are in tune.

I agree that it's almost certainly the intonation if the guitar is in tune, but being an owner of a Starcaster, I'm going to warn you that as much work is done to make the setup better, it will probably never be perfect.
it was the intonation. I'm saving up for a new guitar anyways. thanks for the help!