Hiya, I'm completely unexperienced with working with my guitar's parts, but I've recently found an interest in tweaking. My current interest is in coilsplitting, but I'll get to that in a sec.

My first question is actually not really mod-related, but sort of repair related. First off, I have mild fret buzz. It's not noticeable when I keep my picking power controlled, so I'm not super-worried about that, but is it particularly challenging to rectify? I've read how-to's and whatnot, and honestly it seems pretty dangerous (working with the nut/saddle/truss rod)...

Second, also related to my frets, my twelfth fret has scratches, so when I bend the high E around the 12-14 frets, the string scrapes along the scratch grooves and makes a terrible sound and feeling. Could I safely sand it without harming intonation, or should I take it to a shop?

Lastly, a question on coilsplitting. I have an Agile AL-3000 which comes with AlNiCo V's that come with the extra wires for the option of coilsplitting. Is coilsplitting something that I could do safely on my own (recall that I am completely new to wiring), or should that be taken to shop to be done?

Thanks.
HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
If you've got absolutely no experience soldering, that might be a slightly costly way to practice. I'd suggest you get some practice in somewhere else first; because while it's not a difficult mod, you only get one little batch of wires, and it can easily end up overwhelming when completely new to it. Of course, if you've got a fairly steady hand and good soldering iron, it's just a matter of knowing where and what to solder.

So if you don't have any problems soldering, go for it. I'll bet it will be worth it, in the long run.

Don't know shit about the other two questions, but I'm interested in what everybody else has to say, I've got fret buzz in a couple of spots, too.
i go with calymos as far as the soldering is concerned, for your other questions:
if its light fret buzz, probably, tweaking the truss rod a little will do the trick, this is not dangerous at all, just stick an allen key in there and turn away from you.

The 12th fret problem, you shouldnt sand, crowning is the way to go here i think. But the problem is that you then need to do all the frets and since you have no experience, i would take the guitar to a tech/professional. Or if you have a guitar which isnt worth much to you, you could practise on that, i learned it that way
anyhow, good luck and i hope it helps
The difficulty of the coil split depends on how you are planning to implement it. Were you going to do it with a push-pull pot or a mini toggle? The mini toggle is easier, but requires drilling a hole into your guitar. If you're ok with that, it's a very simple procedure. The push-pull pot is a bit more complicated, but some people prefer it aesthetically to a switch.
Quote by Leon987
i go with calymos as far as the soldering is concerned, for your other questions:
if its light fret buzz, probably, tweaking the truss rod a little will do the trick, this is not dangerous at all, just stick an allen key in there and turn away from you.

The 12th fret problem, you shouldnt sand, crowning is the way to go here i think. But the problem is that you then need to do all the frets and since you have no experience, i would take the guitar to a tech/professional. Or if you have a guitar which isnt worth much to you, you could practise on that, i learned it that way
anyhow, good luck and i hope it helps

Wait, what? For a problem with one fret, I need to get work on ALL the frets? Crap, sounds expensive...

I'll try to put up a picture later, but really, the scratches are extremely shallow. Is there really no other option?

But in the case of having to actually bring it into the shop, how much do you guys think the price range would be to get that fret repaired and coilsplitting done w/ pushpull?

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Quote by Apples on Cacti
Wait, what? For a problem with one fret, I need to get work on ALL the frets? Crap, sounds expensive...

Yeah, because all frets have to be same height, if you make one lower, youll have to do all, noone said it was easy

EDIT: and for price, i once crowned someones frets for 30 euros but the real shop will charge you more, the local shop here does it for 50ish but prices do differ
Last edited by Leon987 at Dec 25, 2011,
Huh. Interestingly enough, the fret scratch problem seems to have solved itself. After about 7 or something hours of play, the scratch marks are still there, but the string no longer catches on them. :/

Still want to get the coilsplits done with pushpull, though. How much does that usually cost?

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Going to shop would probably charge you like 80 bucks just to put that switch in there, i'd say read tutorial online about how to solder and learn first about that.

Then see about how coilsplitting works with a push-pull pot and if your pickups allow for it, then proceed to do the mod on your guitar and we are looking into using about 15-20 bucks probably on the soldering iron+pot+time invested in learning the skill and then you putting it together yourself instead of paying a lot more to someone in a shop to do something that is actually quite easy once you learn the whole soldering process
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P