hey guys and girls, so thought to myself this fine christmas morning, I'll restring my 12 string acoustic

restring it, commence tuning, snap, 6th string treble g snaps... luckily, I have another set of strings spare since I bought two packs ages ago, what happens, another 6 string snaps again...

I get p***ed off.

However, I am left wondering if I could use one of my spare high e strings and tune it up to the g since the treble g string is a 0.08 in gauge, and the e strings are a 0.10 in gauge, or would this screw the guitar up in some way ?
i also got fed up with this happening frequently... I just use one of my .09 e strings for electric guitar instead, .10 shouldn't be a problem
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Restringing a 12 string is a bitch. I'd rather just give my brother $10 to do it than have me go through 3 packs of strings, snapping every other one(actually happened when I first re stringed mine )
"For me it's important to be in balance. To not let fear get in the way of things, to not worry so much about protecting yourself all the time."

"Muskrats live in my wah wah pedal."

-John Frusciante-
another thing you might try is tuning it lower. what tuning are you using now? some time ago i changed my tuning to c#
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
and yet another string goes, last string left, had to tune it down even further to c# and seems to be holding for now, this is stupid tho, shouldnt need to tune it down that far to not snap a damn string man
Common for a high G to go boink! I always have a few single spares for just such occasions. Next time try bringing it/them up to tune s-l-o-w-l-y. Since yer gonna hafta re-run the tuner anyway to trim up to final tune; might as well be incremental. Check yer bridge and/or nut for sharp points/binding. If the nut binds, you'll be winding it up to bring it in line and getting no where fast...then the string slips in the nut, tensioning the whole thing waaaay hi.. plink! gone

HTH
Quote by deltaten
Common for a high G to go boink! I always have a few single spares for just such occasions. Next time try bringing it/them up to tune s-l-o-w-l-y. Since yer gonna hafta re-run the tuner anyway to trim up to final tune; might as well be incremental. Check yer bridge and/or nut for sharp points/binding. If the nut binds, you'll be winding it up to bring it in line and getting no where fast...then the string slips in the nut, tensioning the whole thing waaaay hi.. plink! gone

HTH

This, do this.
you have no idea how slow I was tuning that g string up haha, was the old turn the tuning pegs a couple of times, give the string a stretch, rinse repeat, snap

I'll probably tune the guitar up from c# to d later on today, might even leave it at that if it stays there, cause c# don't half sound pretty nice tbh
Tune that string to two steps down until the rest are in tune properly, then slowly bring it up to the desired pitch.