The first guitar I ever bought was an Ibanez starter pack guitar with an HSS pickup configuration. Now, I never expected it to have a killer sound, but ever since I first bought it, I hear a terrible buzz/humming noise whenever I select either the first position (closer to me) or the third (right in the middle) pickup.

It's not the amp, because it's persisted through 3 different amps. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just because these pickups are terrible?

Also, here's the guitar if it helps.

Ibanez JX40
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Single coil pickups are supposed to hum. Google cavity shielding if you really want to get rid of it.
If it happens when you have a lot of distortion or gain on then that is just your regular 60 cycle hum or bad grounding or both. .
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by jpnyc
Single coil pickups are supposed to hum. Google cavity shielding if you really want to get rid of it.

Well I know they hum, but it gets to the point where you can hear the humming louder than you hear the actual notes being played
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by Ragu35
Well I know they hum, but it gets to the point where you can hear the humming louder than you hear the actual notes being played

Check the wiring. Bad wiring could cause excessive hum.
can also get noiseless like my strat came with, don't know how much they are though.
Most likely a ground wire came loose inside. This is a very common occurrence on cheap guitars. Get a soldering iron for $15, and you'll be able to fix it right up in a minute.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's just single coil humming.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I'm assuming that has a 5 way pickup switch ? If so, then putting it in any position other than 2 or 4, will cause pickup hum. That's just the way it is with single coil pups and those type of switches . Changing amps won't do anything about it . Have you bother to have your pickup height adjusted as well ? If your pups are too close to the strings , you can get a muddy type tone along with hum as well.