Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help point my way towards my second electric guitar to replace my ol' Yamaha. I got a great Vox tube amp so now I need to upgrade my guitar to match.

I mostly play alternative rock/pop punk with lotsa distortion and some clean; my Yamaha had an H/S/S setup but I'm fine with something different. My biggest factors are looks, playability, tone, and durability (if I drop it, it shouldn't break in half! )

My budget is fairly limited. anywhere between $0-300 is best, $400ish is okay, and $500 is the absolute max. So that means most Gibson's and PRS' are out of the question unfortunately. Most likely I'll buy used and if it helps I live in the SF Bay Area (California)

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by You Ruined It at Dec 25, 2011,
Fender Mexican Standard HSS Stratocaster
If you look used you'll get it for under $400.
It's got a cool tone for the price, plays great, looks like the strat everyone knows and my brothers one has been bashed around countless times and fallen of chairs a lot and there's not even a paint scratch.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. Got mine used for 200$. New pickups and it was the best sounding rock guitar I ever played.

Tone zone bridge, see sig for neck.
I would recommend a Fender Telecaster Standard MiM. They have great playability and tone. You may want to change the pickups to something more your style, but I find them to fit the genre's you mentioned. I got mine at the start of December, and I love it, so far.
Quote by itamar100
Exaggeration maybe?!

Nope. But to be fair I don't play alot of 'rock' guitars.
Mostly ibanez w/ teh bkps for chugga chug. Lol.
Like I tell everybody, look used. I got a PRS SE Santana for $375 from some guy 15 minutes from my house on Craigslist.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
You can get a PRS SE for around $400-$500 if you look for one. Great guitars!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Hmm, I'll probably go with the Strat but I'll go down to my guitar shop to try out that and the Les Paul. I know a lot of people recommend PRS guitars (and they look sexy) but unless I hit craigslist gold I won't be able to shell out a couple thou on one

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone!
Check out Schecter new and used. Older used c-1 elites ( H-H that have coil taps)go for $350 ish in MPLS/ST.Paul. These are much better imo than any fender.
You did not say if you need a whammy. You can get a New schecter Omen 6 for $250-300
My issue with PRS is on most you cannot easily adjust intonation the bridge is fixed like an acoustic guitar.....thats lame. If I were to get a PRS it would have to have a bridge you can adjust intonation on each string.
But at any rate you should play whatever you think you want to get a few times if you can. Sometimes it takes a while to find something that feels good and sometimes 2 guitars of the same make and model can feel and sound totally different.
check out the agile les pauls on rondomusic.com, very affordable.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't need a whammy- I'd prefer it not have one. My current guitar I just took out the whammy bar cause it got annoying.

Later this week I'm gonna head over to the guitar shop to try out different stuff. My friend's got a Schecter Omen 6 which I played on for a short time so I might go with something from Scheter...but ultimately it's whatever I can find on craigslist
PRS Tremonti SE
Used Gibson LP studio/SG
G&L Tribute ASAT
Used Fender Tele
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS Tremonti SE
Used Gibson LP studio/SG
G&L Tribute ASAT
Used Fender Tele

I a,most bought a Tremonti SE untill I realized there is no intonation adjustment.
Is there a difference between the Gibson LP studio and standard? and would it be the same differences between the Epiphone versions of those models? From what I gather the Studio isn't as pretty as the standard.

I've already ruled out the SG. My friend's got an Epiphone SG and it plays alright but I really hate the shape for some reason.
Quote by You Ruined It
Is there a difference between the Gibson LP studio and standard? and would it be the same differences between the Epiphone versions of those models? From what I gather the Studio isn't as pretty as the standard.

I've already ruled out the SG. My friend's got an Epiphone SG and it plays alright but I really hate the shape for some reason.

Most of the diff is the cosmetics, but there are some other diff as well, like pickups, neck profile, maple-top.

I had a Gibson LP studio for several yrs as my main guitar, and I really liked it. It does have the fatter neck profile, but it still sounded and played like a real Gibson LP. Used they are a good value.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate