Page 1 of 2
I've been wanting a proper Flying V since i was 6 years old when i first ever saw them. My first guitar was this God-awful Stagg Flying V copy which has a twisted neck, frets coming out of the fretboard and microphonic pickups. It was a kazoo.

But now after working with my dad in shitty conditions for the last 9 years or so, i've managed t scrape enough earnings together to get this.

Apologies for the terrible quality of the pics. This guitar is a nightmare to take pictures of and the pictures do not translate the depth of the finish for crap.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Now that's out of the way, here's the interesting stuff.

This is a brand new 2011 V if you can't make it out in the pics. Made on the 13th of July.

I had up to £900 to spend on another electric guitar and wanted something that'll last me a lifetime. I tried many guitars before settling on this one. Gibson Les Paul Customs, Standards, PRS Torero, a Jackson SLAT 7 (i was considering a 7 string at one point), a Schector Blackjack, a V401 LTD, Jackson RR5 and f course the favourite of the UGer's, the EC-1000.

The reason i bought this was simple. Playability and tone. This practically guitar plays itself. The fret job is outright flawless. The action was lower than almost all of the guitars i tried and it has absolutely zero buzz. The rosewood fretboard has a 12" radius which is very comfortable for me, but not a single note frets out.

The neck profile is slightly thicker than you would think. Gibson says that its a cross between the 50's and a 60's neck profile. I have massive hands however and the slightly thicker, wider neck profile really moulds to my hands nicely, so to speak. It is't like on uber-thin Ibanez Wizard necks were you're fighting the guitar to actually feel wood in your palms. Having a thicker neck is particularly useful for vibrato as the neck profile almost pushes your hand into the bend whereas with a really thin neck, you have to create that tension yourself which doesn't feel as natural.

The frets are a nice size. Medium jumbo frets and as I've said, they're beautifully polished and levelled.

So, the tone. This guitar was one of the loudest guitars acoustically. The only guitar that was better was the LP Custom, which weighed more than ST Paul's Cathedral. This V is resonant, rich in harmonics and woody sounding unplugged, without being heavy and cumbersome to the point in which playability suffers.

The pickups are very hot, but pretty versatile as i found out. They're breathy, midrangey, articulate and harmonics fly off the guitar everywhere. For lead playing, the pickups scream. The neck pickup is not muddy at all. It remains articulate if the tone on the amp is dialled in correctly. For rhythm stuff, if feels very at home doing Maiden and some of the early Metallica and Megadeth stuff. Crunchy, hot, present and full of character. It reacts to different playing styles, so every player can get a different tone from the guitar, but its very VERY hard to make this guitar sound bad.

Another thing that was awesome was that the guitar was advertised for £899 but thanks to some negotiating, i got the guy down to £825! That's less than if i bought the guitar online.

If you guys have any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them.

Merry Christmas, guys.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 25, 2011,
'grats Mac Happy NGD

but how does it feel to play it?
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
it feels...

really

really

wonderful

She smells of vanilla too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
nice guitar! happy ngd
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
HNGD!

I'm always happy to see people buying and loving Gibsons despite the riddiculous amount of Gibson-hate here.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I don't even understand why people bitch about them being overpriced because it doesn't have EMG's and a Floyd. In the end, its about the overall business of actually putting it together with care and attention. That's what makes a good guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
HNGD man, these Vs are great! The ones ive tried were really well balanced and had a great sound!
HNGD

People bitch about them because they're not exactly in a beginner price range so you have tons of people saying y squier pwns any Gibson" or "my epi is as good as a Gibson I've played"

But you get what you pay for. Surprisingly no one ever touches on PRS, always Gibson.

Anyway, HNGD. And glad you got roswood
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

Anyway, HNGD. And glad you got roswood

That's a good point actually. I've tried a LP Classic Custom with a baked maple board and i actually liked the feel of the board. It was very smooth like ebony and the maple balanced the guitar's overtones well.

Quote by conor-figgy
HNGD!

Cheers, Scoot.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
HNGD! Used to have a Gibson Faded V myself. You're going to love it if you play live. The balance on them is amazing and they're light. I think i spent more time staring at mine than actually playing it hahaha.

Even though i prefer the cherry finish over the black :P Hope it serves you well!
cheers
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Epic Ngd!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
HNGD Mac!

Legen-

-wait for it-

-Dary.

And for the love of Christ stop calling it Schector. It's Schecter DAMMIT
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This is a brand new 2011 V if you can't make it out in the pics. Made on the 13th of July.

Looks like they swapped up the stamp on the V haha, on my 2003 the "Made in USA" part is at the tip of the headstock perpendicular to the serial, which runs between the two rows of tuners.

The neck profile is slightly thicker than you would think. Gibson says that its a cross between the 50's and a 60's neck profile.

I'd call it a D-shaped neck, it's really comfortable once you get used to its shape. I like that it's not super thin like an Ibanez neck haha. It makes the fretboard feel wider than it is, which is a plus with bigger hands like mine.

This guitar was one of the loudest guitars acoustically. The only guitar that was better was the LP Custom, which weighed more than ST Paul's Cathedral. This V is resonant, rich in harmonics and woody sounding unplugged, without being heavy and cumbersome to the point in which playability suffers.

These have a pretty large cavity routed in them underneath the pickguard, you can fit P90's in there without routing anything out (you'd have to change the pickguard obviously). The large cavity lends to the loud acousticness of the V, mine's the same way.

The pickups are very hot, but pretty versatile as i found out. They're breathy, midrangey, articulate and harmonics fly off the guitar everywhere. For lead playing, the pickups scream. The neck pickup is not muddy at all. It remains articulate if the tone on the amp is dialled in correctly.

I LOVE the 500T in the bridge, it takes a bit to dial out some of the bite through my JCA but it's a wonderful, aggressive pickup for anything related to hard rock. I wasn't too crazy on the neck pickup though, so I swapped it out for a zebra SD'59 and couldn't be happier

You picked a nice guitar man, the classic Gibson Flying V's are some of the most underrated guitars currently in production. It seems everyone goes for offset V's anymore . HNGD
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
thanks, dude. i appreciate that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
i overlooked Gibson's V's for quite a while, and just wanted something different. so i CL post in the morning, "want to buy your Gibson $600 Cash in hand" i got about 10 or so replies, with quite a few people trying to get a little more cash out of me.

but i spoke to this guy who had a Gibson V Gothic (2002 IIRC), with case candy, paperwork and OHSC for $550. mint as mint gets.

they play awesome, feel really natural with a strap, i absolutely love the 500t, i have had them in different guitars. i like the neck pickup too, but the 500t is what knocks it out of the park. they are great guitars

HNGD
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
HNGD, Mac. I know how you've been counting down the days till you could get your hands on it. So the real question....can I have your old one?
Quote by Ippon
Now you need a proper stand for when it's outside the case. Like this:

Actually these stands work just fine on flying V's. It did on my God awful copy guitar.

The legs of the stand just wedge in between the wings of the body which holds the guitar up.

@soarin

I don't think its worth it dude.

The pickups are dead and the neck pocket wasn't actually cut properly, so the neck permanently sits in the body crooked. Its just better to keep your 10 bucks and wait till compound interest increases it to $1600 in the next few hundred years or so.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've got that exact Hercules stand, it's not the best choice for V-like guitars haha. The points just rest on the legs and it's easy to knock off to one side and scratch the guitar.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

^I wish I had that one instead, I wound up using it for my Razorback since the 'barbs' on the lower horns allows it to set securely on the stand.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Thanks guys.

Regular guitar stands work fine on classic Flying V's. But anything pointed like a King V and especially a Rhoads would need a stand like that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Happy NGD, friend!

Nice to see another Gibson owner, though I have an SG personally, but it does pretty much everything you described (Versatile tone, comfortable neck, near impossible to make it sound bad, etc.)
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
Very cool! awesome guitar!
I love gibsons, i do not have one yet but i will some day.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Yay, a thread where no-one has shat all over the Gibson name yet!

Happy New Guitar Day!

Seems great, I love Flying Vs, they sound awesome and it's so easy to get to the higher frets!
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I hate gibsons. Overpriced garbage. Just get an epi, its the same!

On a more serious note I love gibsons and yours is very nice indeed.
I am quite jealous.

Happy new guitar day!
I have a flying V too
amazing guitars
Careful with guitar stands, somebody told me that the nitro-dunnowhat used as finish in the flying V, tends to stain quite easy with the rubber in stands, that's why i keep it in its case.
Quote by Zaio
I have a flying V too
amazing guitars
Careful with guitar stands, somebody told me that the nitro-dunnowhat used as finish in the flying V, tends to stain quite easy with the rubber in stands, that's why i keep it in its case.

That's true. In the owners manual, it warns of plastics and rubbers leeching into the nitrocellulose finish and even into the wood itself. The warranty doesn't cover it. But it can be prevented by wrapping the stand were it touches the guitar with cloth.

Does it do this with foam-padded stands though?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 26, 2011,
I got scared when I looked at the third photo, the shadow makes it look like the ugliest shape ever, just one big blob.

Looks very nice though, I've always like the even look of Gibson V's - it's sort of a more refined take on it to me.

HNGD
Page 1 of 2