Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking of learning some martial art, living in a small country I know I'd have to settle in on something a bit popular, since I want to have a trainer and actual practice in it. I was thinking about judo and karate, out of those that I like. But I also want it to have some practical use, maybe even participate in a tournament in a few years, for the heck of it if I get any good. I don't really know anything much about martial arts, how well do they go against each other, for example, if my friend will start learning judo, and I start learning karate, who will kick each others' "ass"?

I'm a small fit guy, I'm light-weight, the fast-agile type, 18 years.

Any recommendations? I like styles that are about turning enemy against himself, and rely on agility, not just strength.
Why, do you want to be a matriarch?
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

id highly recommend traditional ITF style taekwon do if theres is a good (ie not competition focused) dojang near you. avoid the more popular olympic style taekwondo like the plague.its worse than scuttery diarrhea
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by shattamakar
Why, do you want to be a matriarch?

"A matriarch or clan-mother or 'chief' is a mother, or other female person in a family who autocratically rules a clan or kinship."

???

Quote by MakinLattes
You should pick your discipline based on how good the name is, like Muay Thai or Krav Maga.

I actually don't like Muay Thai, not my thing

Quote by Eggmond
id highly recommend traditional ITF style taekwon do if theres is a good (ie not competition focused) dojang near you. avoid the more popular olympic style taekwondo like the plague.its worse than scuttery diarrhea

And how do I know whether the taekwon do dojo I choose is traditional or olympic?
Last edited by Zeletros at Dec 25, 2011,
The style doesn't matter, it's the practitioner that matters. Its not a matter of one style being better than the other.

Since you're looking for more redirection of the opponent's energy then I would recommend judo, jujitsu or aikido.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Zeletros
"A matriarch or clan-mother or 'chief' is a mother, or other female person in a family who autocratically rules a clan or kinship."

???

Learning a matrial art?

Matrial

Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Aikido, unless you want to learn how to be a pussy. In that case pick karate or thai boxing or something.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Zeletros

???

lol read the title
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
If your going for turning the opponent against himself Judo is the shit at that, And its extremely convenient for self-defense, After learning a few simple moves and getting them down pat you'll be able to defend yourself against the average person very well, Keep in mind tho Judo is not about striking, you really don't learn any sort of punches or kicks its all throws and holds for the most part. Jui-jitsu (spelling?) is basically where Judo spawns from, so if you wanted to learn judo with kicks and punches you could go for that as well. Hope this helps in your decision, Happy Pwning
The reason why I'm not particularly in fond of judo is because it is based on grappling and getting a hold of your enemy and then making the move, from what I've seen by far.

Taekwon do I did very much like from the looks of it though.
Kalari Payattu

Quote by thanksgiving
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

Last edited by shattamakar at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by shattamakar
Kalari Payattu

I wish, but as I said, I doubt I'll find a good master on it where I live

Quote by Lagunaguitar
I did taekwondo from the ages of like 7-13. fun stuff

How fun? Do you get to spar? Also, any use of it in teh real world?
Karate and judo are both sick. I did karate for 5 years and really enjoyed it. But my friend recently judo tackled me for the first time and I must say, that was the best experience I've felt in a long time. Hes a bit of a nerd really but that tackle felt like a pro tackle, not just some kid who comes up to you and uses all his strength to trip you coz he can't do it. My friend did it with ease.
Quote by Zeletros

How fun? Do you get to spar? Also, any use of it in teh real world?

Yeah it was some good discipline. I did sparring and also some sword stuff. Still a little use of hap-ki-do in the real world (which is more like self defense moves instead of kicks and punches)
Quote by Eggmond
an highlight vid of ITF sparring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cjm7g72-Yc&feature=related

keep in mind there is very little stuff taught in training that you can actually use in sparring. the self defense moves in ITF TKD are freaking vicious and dirty as feck

What does ITF stand for?

I'm by far going for Taekwondo I think, this ITF or whatever it's called
Quote by Lagunaguitar
Yeah it was some good discipline. I did sparring and also some sword stuff. Still a little use of hap-ki-do in the real world (which is more like self defense moves instead of kicks and punches)

my old instructor would freak out if he heard of you using swords. TKD doesnt use any weapons although it does has defense against weapons in it although those moves are rarely taught as that cos its pretty rare that you will have to disarm someone with a rifle

EDIT:
ITF stands for international taekwon do federation. TKD was founded by General Choi in the 1950s and he established the ITF. he was a big supporter of a united korea (he was actually nominated for the nobel peace prize) and he spread TKD in north korea and strove towards cooperation between the north and the south. until that he was a national hero in south korea and TKD was the national sport but after his work in north korea he was essentially banished and the south korean government set up the WTF and called it the 'official' tkd which is seen in the olympics. ITF is more badass and quite similar to old school karate in some respects and WTF is all fancy pants flying kicks,body armour and focused on scoring points in competition
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Last edited by Eggmond at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
What does ITF stand for?

I'm by far going for Taekwondo I think, this ITF or whatever it's called

I would be careful of where you learn, as it is the more popular marital arts style because it look flashy and some teachers may just be out to sell a "product" rather than actually teach useful self defense. Also, Taekwondo tends to focus on kicks more than anything else and that may not be the most practical when it comes to self defense.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Eggmond
my old instructor would freak out if he heard of you using swords. TKD doesnt use any weapons although it does has defense against weapons in it although those moves are rarely taught as that cos its pretty rare that you will have to disarm someone with a rifle

EDIT:
ITF stands for international taekwon do federation. TKD was founded by General Choi in the 1950s and he established the ITF. he was a big supporter of a united korea (he was actually nominated for the nobel peace prize) and he spread TKD in north korea and strove towards cooperation between the north and the south. until that he was a national hero in south korea and TKD was the national sport but after his work in north korea he was essentially banished and the south korean government set up the WTF and called it the 'official' tkd which is seen in the olympics. ITF is more badass and quite similar to old school karate in some respects and WTF is all fancy pants flying kicks,body armour and focused on scoring points in competition

So Taekwondo splits into 2 schools?

And it's korean originally?

Quote by rockingamer2
I would be careful of where you learn, as it is the more popular marital arts style because it look flashy and some teachers may just be out to sell a "product" rather than actually teach useful self defense. Also, Taekwondo tends to focus on kicks more than anything else and that may not be the most practical when it comes to self defense.

Damn it

What's practical then? Aikido?
Quote by Zeletros

yup. Gen Choi was a black belt in karate and he fought against the japanese when they occupied korea.he was captured and started develop tkd in japanese prison using karate and the traditional korean martial art taek kyun which he further developed into a new art when he was out of jail and in the korean military. the WTF downplay his influence and the ITF tend to ignore some of the other key figures in its history though. ITF has more real world applications imo
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond

Avoid taekwondo in general. Hell just go to the gym and get strong, thats much more effective in a fight than most martial arts. Muay Thai, brazillian Jiu Jitsu, krav maga, and karate will all teach you to **** people up though. Judo is cool as hell as a sport, and its moves can be useful outside of the sport, just not AS useful as others'.

And no aikido is not practical, its for superstitious sentimental japanese guys.
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Last edited by rutteger1 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by rockingamer2
The style doesn't matter, it's the practitioner that matters. Its not a matter of one style being better than the other.

Since you're looking for more redirection of the opponent's energy then I would recommend judo, jujitsu or aikido.

Aikido is the one really geared towards using your oponents momentum against them. Damn clever, those Japanese.

I do Shotokan Karate and I love it, but I can see why others find it redundant. It is however very popular around the world.

Kung fu is also very popular, and how cool would you be if you were a kung fu master?
Quote by Icarus Lives
Aikido is the one really geared towards using your oponents momentum against them. Damn clever, those Japanese.

I do Shotokan Karate and I love it, but I can see why others find it redundant. It is however very popular around the world.

Kung fu is also very popular, and how cool would you be if you were a kung fu master?

Isn't kung fu a term for "chinese martial art", not a particular style?
Quote by rockingamer2

very true, especially in the states. a good tkd dojang is the complete opposite but there are so many that just churn out black belts who wouldnt make green belt in a proper dojong. my best advice is to sit in on a few classes and see what they do. if theres no ground fighting or practical brawling avoid it. some guys just train flash kicks and claim that they will be handy in a fight. they can be very powerful kicks but you will almost never get a good opportunity to use them

iv done a little bit of aikido too which i thought was great to complement tkd but i disliked the lack of striking
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Last edited by Eggmond at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Eggmond
very true, especially in the states. a good tkd dojang is the complete opposite but there are so many that just churn out black belts who wouldnt make green belt in a proper dojong. my best advice is to sit in on a few classes and see what they do. if theres no ground fighting or practical brawling avoid it. some guys just train flash kicks and claim that they will be handy in a fight. they can be very powerful kicks but you will almost never get a good opportunity to use them

iv done a little bit of aikido too which i thought was great to complement tkd but i disliked the lack of striking

Can't you strike your victim after you've countered his move?

How do aikido chums spar anyway? If they base mostly on countering moves?

Can't you strike your victim after you've countered his move?

How do aikido chums spar anyway? If they base mostly on countering moves?

you can but pretty much every move finishes with a lock. we didnt spar as such but one guy would throw a punch and the other guy would counter and vice versa. my main issue was that it was too controlled because you knew what the were gonna do and they always punched in a way that was easy to counter. there was never any realistic strikes and surprising dirty moves but that could have just been the dojo i was at
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Zeletros

Damn it

What's practical then? Aikido?

Oh, I'm not saying that it isn't, I'm just pointing out that you've got to make sure that whatever class you join that it has to suit your needs and that different styles and, more importantly, different instructors, have their pros and cons.

Oh, and I little about me. I do Seibukan Shorin Ryu Karate, a traditional Okinawan martial art. I'm 6'2'' and weigh around 150lbs.(188cm, 68kg).

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Eggmond
you can but pretty much every move finishes with a lock. we didnt spar as such but one guy would throw a punch and the other guy would counter and vice versa. my main issue was that it was too controlled because you knew what the were gonna do and they always punched in a way that was easy to counter. there was never any realistic strikes and surprising dirty moves but that could have just been the dojo i was at

Eh, well that's out for me then, I love duels, not so much to beat someone, just for fun.
I guess aikido is out for me then..

Quote by rockingamer2
Oh, I'm not saying that it isn't, I'm just pointing out that you've got to make sure that whatever class you join that it has to suit your needs and that different styles and, more importantly, different instructors, have their pros and cons.

Oh, and I little about me. I do Seibukan Shorin Ryu Karate, a traditional Okinawan martial art. I'm 6'2'' and weigh around 150lbs.(188cm, 68kg).

Looks good, how is it different from normal karate? As I said, I don't think there's much chance of me finding an exotic style teacher here.

Do you get to spar a lot?

Guess not, what about normal karate?
Quote by Zeletros
Eh, well that's out for me then, I love duels, not so much to beat someone, just for fun.
I guess aikido is out for me then..

Looks good, how is it different from normal karate? As I said, I don't think there's much chance of me finding an exotic style teacher here.

Do you get to spar a lot?

Guess not, what about normal karate?

Uh, that is normal karate. Karate has many different styles in it. I say just start having a look around your area and check out different classes and see what works for you.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

The style really doesn't matter. The only thing you mustn't do is to let your opponent get the advantage of his style. If your opponent trains judo, dont fight on the ground cuz you're dead.

I'd recomend a fast style. Anything where you can be fast.
I have a friend that used to practice Taekwondo but quit because his teacher switched from "self-defense" to "olympic hit for points" kinda stuff, so he is now training MMA most kick-boxing and jiu-jitsu and have won a few fights.
Learn how to eat a dozen eggs at a time. You can kill 'em with your farts. The best damn martial art there is, the silent and deadly form.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2