I spilled nail polish on my guitar? and how do I get it off without ruining the finish. just a general question.
first question is are you male or female? if your a guy with nail polish that close to your guitar, we gotta talk. its ok if your brittany spears..... jon meyer?.... not so much
I'm a girl. Why else would I have nail polish anywhere near my guitar?
anything that will remove nail polish will remove the finish on your guitar. i wouldn't mess around with it, but if you must, maybe you can ask a luthier for suggestions.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Really fine (few thousand grit) sandpaper + water. Once you get it off with that use some automotive finish polish from an automotive store (Polishing compound, not wax or anything) with a really soft rag (store should have chamois towels) and buff the crap out of it.

ETA: Best to get a sanding block as well, you don't want to leave marks, and go lightly with a little pressure.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Dec 27, 2011,
Honestly, I'd just have a professional do it. It's not worth the risk of ruining the finish on your guitar. Or, just leave it on the guitar. It might add character.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Honestly if you go slow its not a risk at all. Also if the guitar in question is the Yamaha FG Junior (says in profile) its not cost effective having a professional even look at it.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
i'd live with the polish... gives it attitude ! safer than trying to clean it off yourself.
1. It is the Yamaha. I only own one guitar.
2. I took it to Guitar Center and got it off.
Thanks for all the suggestions!