Question,What tubes came in the 5150 block letter (EVH) amp head factory and what speakers came in the cabs.. I bought a "lite used" fullstack for my son for christmas the guy I bought it from said he put el-34 tubes in it.. I had those in my 100w marshall when I was a kid lil more then 17 yrs ago and know those did not come in this head.. did they? also snatched this thing for an amazing 600.00 bucks. he got up and was so stoked! Home run for me and the wife. Now its time to make it right again. Sounds great with no problems.. I did notice this morning that on the plug off the head the ground portion of the plug is gone.. thus causing a buzzing.. need a plug too... where can I get all this...been a long time for me.. thks .. looking to fix it right not piece it together.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 25, 2011,
I would have the amp checked out by a professional before any continued use; chances are you'll need to revert the tubes back to 6L6's, which will probably cost the tubes + new screen resistors. Great deal though! Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

EDIT: Typo; P.S. You have one lucky son! As far as 6L6's go, if you're looking for classic breakup then Sovteks are the way to go. They get a lot of hate around the net but I can tell you from experience (and the shared opinion of LA's premier amp tech) that they are the best tubes for getting classic powerful tone. Now if you're going for something more modern, which your son probably is...then JJ's (Tesla) are the cool new thing. I've had two sets of JJ's in my old JSX, first was EL34's and next was 6L6's. Both sounded great...they are definitely meant for high headroom LOUD metal! Can't go wrong with them for that.

Good site to start on:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/

What you'll be looking for:

Power Amp alone:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22

Full retube kit:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=40
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by PerpetualBurn
I would have the amp checked out by a professional before any continued use; chances are you'll need to revert the tubes back to 6L6's, which will probably cost the tubes + new screen resistors. Great deal though! Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

EDIT: Typo; P.S. You have one lucky son!

Thks... I was working on getting this image up when you replied. Yeah lucky lil guy... I want that for myself now hahahahaha... ok.. I will get right on that. I was looking on Carvin site at 6L6 tubes... I thought I was on to something wanted to be sure.
Quote by Ikillintel
Thks... I was working on getting this image up when you replied. Yeah lucky lil guy... I want that for myself now hahahahaha... ok.. I will get right on that. I was looking on Carvin site at 6L6 tubes... I thought I was on to something wanted to be sure.

Ok, for some reason when I read your first post I read "half-stack." WOW you REALLY got a great deal! Nice! As far as Carvin goes, usually they have the cheapest prices for everything but their tube prices are pretty inflated. Also, stay away from Groove Tubes. Their info they provide in the old Tube Amp books is incredible, but their newer production stuff isn't up to par and it's far too expensive. I would stick with JJ if you're unsure about which direction to go in. For good info on tubes read that Euro-Tubes site, just remember that some of the info is biased (no pun intended) in favor of JJ because that's the brand they sell. Lots of good info though regardless.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I went to your last link and fav'ed it thats what I am talking about! what about the plug? missing the ground piece... can I get those as well.
The 5150 has fixed bias, you should not use el34 tubes. I dont know if it can actually damage the head or not.
The Digitech 2101 wasn't part of the deal.. bought that new and got him the DM sig Dean angel of deth II as well the jackson was last yr as well as the line6 spyder3. just the head and 2 cabs... 600.00 so yeah I felt like I scored. ... I went back and looked I said "fullstack" hahaha 2 slantcabs but hey!
Quote by Chaosinborn
The 5150 has fixed bias, you should not use el34 tubes. I dont know if it can actually damage the head or not.

I didn't put them in there the guy I bought it from did. Thats why I was asking which ones went in cause I wasn't sure.. its all changed since I was a player. And actually PerpetualBurn, I raised the boy right.. he's into old Metallica, SLayer, Megadeth ect..ect.. he had actually made the coment to me that old metal is harder to play then the nu-stuff ... staying with the band above that is.
Okay, a day later ...I went in and got the head took the rear grill off and removed the tubes they are not EL34's as I was told they are infact the 6L6GC Sovtek's. (MADE IN RUSSIA) that may have something to do with the hate they get across the net... mean while this amp has made in the USA all over it. So I will replace those eventually.. but not at the top of my list being that they are 6L6's. I have to replace this plug end being the ground is missing so.. for now Im just going to cut it off at the end and wire a new on. I need to take the cab backs off and see if the speakers are right. doing that this afternoon so I will update. Thks for the help guys!
Ok the 5150 came with 6L6s stock.

It can be run with el34s but thats an after market mod, or a seperate amp (6534+).

Btw sick deal man! I think im one of the very few people who like 6505/5150 cabs
Thks. I replaced the plug and I still have a buzz... not loud... but a hmmmmmmm. So I did some searching and reading on here and took the amp to different rooms, different wallplugs also pluged it into my 8 plug surge portector and still a hmmmmmm. so I took it back apart and made sure I had the ground in there good and I can not get it anybetter (its like ragu)...simple white,black,green. So taking it in for a service as soon as I find a guitar store that does in house repair locally..GC here is 50 miles away and does not do inhouse repairs. I still think I got a great buy these are small problems. I still haven't takin the backs off the cabs I'll do that this weekend.Anychance its the processor (digitech 2101) all cables are new as well. does it without guitar pluged in aswell.
Your positive its not just the normal sound that amp makes? Have you tried all your patch cables to make sure none of them are busted? Clean out ALL the jacks?
It maybe normal ... Like I said its been along times since i've been around this kind of equipment. its not real loud or nothing. What are you cleaning jacks out with? Some type of electrical spray?
Remember these amps are pretty noisy amps. Even with a noise gate they humm!

As for cleaning the jacks i spray a tiny bit of contact cleaner on a patch cable and work it in and out several times. The kinda i have also has a lubricant.

RadioShack Contro/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant. I swear by the stuff. It just revived my pedals on my RP6 a few weeks ago after they had stopped working for several years.
I have CRC QD electronics cleaner (the QD is quick dry) helps prevent contact failure on sensitive electronic equip, plastic safe and leaves no residue ...but its not a lubricant. I mostly use this on autos. whatcha think?
All of those amps have a natural hum, especiallyon the lead channel.

Even my 6534+ which supposedly has a built in noise reduction circuit absolutly has to have a noisegate in the loop pf it sounds like a f***in harrier taking off
ok, yeah... good then I'll leave that B and check out the speakers this weekend thks. I'll do the spray then as well. Thks alot for the help Surjer, and everyone else that replied in this thread. I been thinking about snatching his Line6 spyder 3 and maybe jam alittle again... I still have my Doug Marks metal method videos and speed kills heh!.I've not played in so long I will probably need em.
Id rather a free spider over a vypyr that costs money

But yea get back into guitar, most people i know whove stopped playing reallyregret it, no matter their age. It is its own art form and a form of expression, and not just an activitt for fun
yeah, i stopped playing for 10 years then when i married my wife for my birthday she bought me a $500 accoustic. So, i bought a couple grand worth of equipment!!! lol Yeah, I was pretty excited to get back into it. Glad to hear your ready to pickup the axe again!
Ok lets say I do go for it and learn again... should I go with the Jackson Kelly ( which I use to have) or a Razorbak rebel if it was your choice...which u pick? and were not talking 300.00 japans.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 26, 2011,
The Jackson dude its not even a question!!!! Great Guitar. I have to admit tho im not a big fan of "look at me" guitars.. I've been drooling over the new Charvel Desolations. Im dying to get one of those! You should also give Ibanez a shot. I was REALLY suprized how popular they have become. I still play mine i bought new in 98' and it still rocks!
I'm no stranger to Ibanez..we use to call em Ibanhads my younger brother still has his its an Rg Series not sure which one but I know it was a more expensive model knowing his tastes. One of the very first guitars I ever played was an Aeropro II, I'm not even sure I spelled it right but thats close, it was a V haha... cheep thing but It played ok back then. That Charvel u mentioned looks like a Gibson.Ok well I 'll let ya know which one I pick, But I really had my heart on the Rebel ...being that I've owned the Jackson Kelly Professional and I had a George Lynch Screamin Demon pickup put in after I got it...they didn't make those very long.I should have NEVER sold that guitar... but hindsight is always 20/20 .
Quote by PerpetualBurn

EDIT: Typo; P.S. You have one lucky son! As far as 6L6's go, if you're looking for classic breakup then Sovteks are the way to go. They get a lot of hate around the net but I can tell you from experience (and the shared opinion of LA's premier amp tech) that they are the best tubes for getting classic powerful tone. Now if you're going for something more modern, which your son probably is...then JJ's (Tesla) are the cool new thing. I've had two sets of JJ's in my old JSX, first was EL34's and next was 6L6's. Both sounded great...they are definitely meant for high headroom LOUD metal! Can't go wrong with them for that.

Good site to start on:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/

What you'll be looking for:

Power Amp alone:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22

Full retube kit:
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=40

Man, I was wondering why my 5150 sounds a bit boomy and flubby when the power amp breaks out, turns out that the tubes are sovteks. I ordered a JJ retube kit about a few weeks ago, still waiting for the cargo.

Plus, going to get it bias modded for more headroom. Wonder if this alters the tone in a good or a bad way ? I just want to get rid of the crossover distortion, and get rid of the breakup at the rhythm channel.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Apparently the bias mod "wakes up" 5150s, so im thinking of getting done to my 6534+ when i retube it.

Im pretty pumped, soon ill have a new cab, new tubes and an awesome sounding amp
Cab 1

Cab2

My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.