Ive got a valveking 112 1 speaker tube amp, recently ive noticed some static type noises in the amp, almost like wind blowing. It happens even if im just sitting there not playing. I have it connected to a Boss GT10 effects board. I wasnt sure if maybe the tubes were going bad or maybe my cables?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Well I did that, with the amp on, and no cables plugged in it still has this static noise coming from the speaker.
Quote by ktullu98
Well I did that, with the amp on, and no cables plugged in it still has this static noise coming from the speaker.

Ok Techies.. a little help here... LOL

My Fender Twin makes a little noise if it's turned up real loud... but it's 40 years old... Not sure if all tube amps make a little noise or not..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
That's normal, it's just static, every amp produces some amount of it. Unless it's extremely loud, on the clean channel..then you got problems. On the gain channel you'll have some static, but there should be very little to none on the clean channel.
Well this is definitely not something the amp has done in the past, but I have recently moved so its plugged into a new outlet. Im also wondering if I might not have the correct power cable for it. not sure if that could cause some noise. I expect a amp to put out a little noise, but this is a bit more than I would expect.
Quote by ktullu98
I have recently moved so its plugged into a new outlet.

Just moved? like to a new house, or a new room in the same house?

Quote by ktullu98
Im also wondering if I might not have the correct power cable for it. not sure if that could cause some noise.

Nah.. it shouldn't unless it's like drastically different... like you went from your cable to something the size of speaker wire..

Now you got me wondering if the outlet that you're plugged into is grounded properly...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 25, 2011,
Yup, New house and new state for that matter lol. Let me try moving it to a different outlet and see what happens.

Im using a regular power cable, same type you would use on a computer.
might be the house power - try a different outlet or different house. could be something in the house causing static like florescent lights for example.

also try swapping some of the preamp tubes around. one may be overly microphonic or a tube may have come loose in transport. Push all your tubes in real good.
Could it be that I havent changed the tubes on the amp ever? ive had it for over 3 years but the amp hasnt had a ton of usage, as Ive spent alot of time over seas, so it sat alot but was used. Ive been reading the normal lifetime of tubes is 2 years or so.
same thing happened with my valveking. i just fiddled with the preamp tubes a bit and the noise went down. I also tightened a screw near the power tubes and the noise went away....i dunno, just play around with stuff
Always Rock!
Interesting, Thanks s12. Ill mess around with it. One odd thing I jsut noticed is, if I unplug the footswitch, it gets worse.