hi'gonna give this 21 day thing a go il do if for an hour a day along side my normal practice technique work...only a beginner so iv no idea to use a metronime...im gonna try the song shout at the devil for the 21 day experiment.

can someone please explain how i use a metronome along to a song?
Personally, I do not work with a metronome. I always work with guitar pro, so I did not take care of the metronome. That way, I have not concentrate on one thing more, it's simpler.
I know it's wrong but I do not care ^ ^
Quote by Syndromed
Personally, I do not work with a metronome. I always work with guitar pro, so I did not take care of the metronome. That way, I have not concentrate on one thing more, it's simpler.
I know it's wrong but I do not care ^ ^

That's not wrong at all. I tab out riffs I write in guitar pro. Then play them back to the rhythm I have in my head, play along with them, then bring it to band practice. When I get to practice, I've got it in time, and the rhythm is down pat.

Using a metronome is simple, if you know the BPM of the song and the time signature (and changes). If your song is 100BPM 4/4 time, you'd set a metronome to 100BPM with quarter notes, etc. That's basically all it is.
Last edited by Hudson12 at Dec 26, 2011,
ok thanks so now where do i find the info for a song?shout at the devil where would i find the bpm for this song?
Quote by Hudson12
That's not wrong at all. I tab out riffs I write in guitar pro. Then play them back to the rhythm I have in my head, play along with them, then bring it to band practice. When I get to practice, I've got it in time, and the rhythm is down pat.

It's not wrong but it's still worth learning to play to a metronome. Guitar pro can remove the need to subdivide the beat, which is an important skill to learn.
To use a metronome: set the metronome to whatever speed you require and try to match its timing. So, if you're playing quarter notes, you'll be hitting a note every click (e.g. one, two, three, four). If you're playing eighth notes, you'll be playing two notes per click (e.g. one and two and three and four). There are other note-durations too but I used those two for the sake of example.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
ok so iv researched and shout is 95 bpm'so i set my metronome to 95 and on each click i shoul be hitting a note correct?what about when their is no note per say ie a solo or just some finger picking?sorry for all the questions im only playin 5 weeks!
Quote by wld-kid
ok so iv researched and shout is 95 bpm'so i set my metronome to 95 and on each click i shoul be hitting a note correct?

Not necessarily. You may or you may not. It depends on the music. If a bar has 2 half notes, you would only play 2 notes but the metronome would still click 4 times for that bar. Or you may also play notes between the clicks. If a bar is something like 2 eighth notes, a quarter note, 2 eighth notes, and 4 sixteenth notes, you would be playing 9 notes with the metronome still clicking 4 times.

It could be something like this:

e|---------------------------------
B|---------------------------------
G|-------------------------2-------
D|---------------------------5-4-2-
A|---------5-------3---2-----------
E|-3---2---------------------------
   +       +       +       +       

Where each + is a click on the metronome.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Not necessarily. You may or you may not. It depends on the music. If a bar has 2 half notes, you would only play 2 notes but the metronome would still click 4 times for that bar. Or you may also play notes between the clicks. If a bar is something like 2 eighth notes, a quarter note, 2 eighth notes, and 4 sixteenth notes, you would be playing 9 notes with the metronome still clicking 4 times.

It could be something like this:

e|---------------------------------
B|---------------------------------
G|-------------------------2-------
D|---------------------------5-4-2-
A|---------5-------3---2-----------
E|-3---2---------------------------
+ + + +

Where each + is a click on the metronome.

i see i see thanks for explaining,i think i might have to delve into music theory and how to figure out about bars and notes etc...looks like i will need to know these things if i want to play along in time to a track.
Quote by wld-kid
i see i see thanks for explaining,i think i might have to delve into music theory and how to figure out about bars and notes etc...looks like i will need to know these things if i want to play along in time to a track.

you should definitely learn these things, without this knowledge it's going to be very challenging to communicate with other musicians or understand the majority of discussions on this site...