My boyfriend's birthday is coming up in February, and he's been wanting a new guitar ever since his broke last year. I don't play guitar, but I know that he really likes Fender and wants a guitar that will plug in to an amp. He pretty much plays his own music for fun, but also likes to play some alt/indie stuff too. I'd like to not spend more than $300 since I'm a broke college kid, so could any of you recommend a decent guitar that fits that price range? Thanks!!
I think the CD60CE Fender is a pretty decent choice for the price range, given that you want a Fender. My friend has one and my brother has one.

Went to musiciansfriend.com to check. It's $270 with a case, so that's right around your price range. Good luck!

Edit: Also, I forgot, looks like they have a 15% coupon so you can try and call them to get the price down a little further. (Don't think the coupons will work for a fender if you buy them online.)
Last edited by KIDRoach at Dec 25, 2011,
Fender CD140SCE: $290 at Guitar Center, feels amazing to play, a gorgeous finish, sounds lovely when plugged in, and just an all-around beauty! I got mine a little over two years ago, and I play a variety of songs, also at home, for fun, and I am absolutely in love with it. It has great wood (classic Fender rosewood neck, solid spruce body and headstock), and honestly I have to say I actually like it a lot more than Taylors and Martins which were in the $1000s+ ranges.
Quote by writerguitarist
Fender CD140SCE: $290 at Guitar Center, feels amazing to play, a gorgeous finish, sounds lovely when plugged in, and just an all-around beauty!

Thats reassuring to hear, i'm picking one up tomorrow, spent ages in a guiar shop the other day trying everything in....and out of my budget, kept coming back to this one. Thinking of getting a couple for my kids if they like mine, they are learning like me and it will do them for a few years.

Calv.
I would be more inclined in that price range to go for a second hand Fender acoustic, the new ones are very over rated and very much chinesse.
Look for an 80s FG model, made in Korea, an 86 model referably, I had one and it mut have been the best cheap fender I ever owned, gave it to my nephew in a moment of insanity(stupid idea).
If you want a new one, think the CD140;s are the way to go.
This: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat-acoustic-electric-guitar/580406000010000

I highly recommend it. For $300 you can't beat it. Decent pre-amp and solid mahogany top.

BUT, I will warn you quality control is a jerk and the one I found in-store at guitar center had a fantastic tone but the other one I found there had an okay tone and feel. In comparison to the other Fender acoustics it's one of the better ones for sure.
i'm a big fan of the hellcat myself. bright tone, nice and clean, body isn't too big. it's possible that the strings were older or had been changed to different strings on the other one you tried.

the CD140SCE is the other one i'd go for at this price range.

Quote by bassplayer4444
This: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat-acoustic-electric-guitar/580406000010000

I highly recommend it. For $300 you can't beat it. Decent pre-amp and solid mahogany top.

BUT, I will warn you quality control is a jerk and the one I found in-store at guitar center had a fantastic tone but the other one I found there had an okay tone and feel. In comparison to the other Fender acoustics it's one of the better ones for sure.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!