Hello,

I guess im an average acoustic guitarist and have recently tried my hand at classical peices rather than my usual strum and try to sing along style.

I have learnt cavatina and Spanish Romance (romance d'amour) and now want some advice on other tunes that are beautiful but simple.

im still using my standard acoustic and not a classical if that has any sway.

Thanks

Jason
Sor's study in B minor. It's played a lot, but it is a pretty cool piece. Also the first movement of the Suite Castellana from Torroba. It's about the same in difficult as "Cavatina" (if we're thinking of the same Cavatina, that is).

If you're just playing for fun, becaue you like the pieces, then best of luck to you, bro. But if you start getting serious about it, maybe want to do it for school, college, etc. then I'd recommend picking yourself up a classical guitar and a teacher who plays classical. Most people develop a lot of bad habits if they try to self-teach themselves. Just my advice as I had some pretty embarrassing moments from trying to get into the classical guitar scene being self-taught.
Quote by The Madcap
Sor's study in B minor. It's played a lot, but it is a pretty cool piece. Also the first movement of the Suite Castellana from Torroba. It's about the same in difficult as "Cavatina" (if we're thinking of the same Cavatina, that is).

If you're just playing for fun, becaue you like the pieces, then best of luck to you, bro. But if you start getting serious about it, maybe want to do it for school, college, etc. then I'd recommend picking yourself up a classical guitar and a teacher who plays classical. Most people develop a lot of bad habits if they try to self-teach themselves. Just my advice as I had some pretty embarrassing moments from trying to get into the classical guitar scene being self-taught.

haha im sorta in that spot myself, but I Havent died yet. aural skills class scares me though. I do kinda feel stupid about stuff though, I feel like Ive learned a lot even if I mess up sometimes haha, Ive only been going to school for it for a couple months though, and I am getting better at a much faster pace then I was on my own, although I never even picked up a classical guitar before I went to school this semester, my technique still needs work as does my posture, or im gonna hurt myself haha

but dude, Id reccomend a cheap yamaha. like $200 and you get something very playable and great to learn on. besides, all classical guitars are going to sound like utter shit until you begin to develop real technique, so I feel anything better starting off would be excessive.

**** it, if you wanna learn get a teacher. my teacher teaches private lessons as well, and im sure someone at a local college also might, and youd get real great lessons from a pro, itd probably be pricey though.

try to find people who play and learn from them, use the internet, etc...

start reading sheet music if you dont already, if nothing else it might offer a different perspective on it, and in turn give more understanding and control of it all....

plus, tab for this stuff just doesnt explain it nearly enough. hell in some pieces even the sheet music can be rough, phrasing and stuff can be weird, and the tempo doesnt always stay consistent (I sorta feel like I am the conductor of my own music I guess). the sheet says piano, forte, has tempo markings, and indications of phrasing... but what exactly do they all mean?

I feel like if I didnt start reading learning classical would be a much more difficult endeavor.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Dec 27, 2011,