I would like to sing like Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low. I really like how he belts out those high notes, i think he sings in his mixed voice, higher mix (head). but it's very powerfull, and it seems like his voice doesnt get tired even though most of their songs are pretty high. Usually he hits notes like A4,b4. SOMETIMES EVEN C5 or c#5 in some songs.
Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=797FbcvxXKk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFDCDFDF0DE4EA0A3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCRa1hfOuVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sE2gHb5eRg&feature=relmfu
I've been singing mostly songs that are in my chest voice, not higher that E4, AND when i try to sing something like all time low i usually strain on those choruses..

I can hit a G4 in my mix, usually when i go higher i strain, and it depends on a song, sometimes i can hit like a4 or even B4 in a scale but not in a song...

I would like to know how to practice this technique which he uses? what exercises should i do?
So, does anybody know how did he master this technique of singing that high without tension?
Last edited by rockstar9999 at Dec 25, 2011,
Basically, continue to practice man, take lessons if possible. A year and a half from now my highest note was around E4 but now I can hit and hold B4 without feeling too much of a strain afterwards, I took vocal lessons once every second week or so and it really helped in every way.
what specifically did you do to improve your range? what exercises?

and i've taken a few lessons, but i don't think it's worth the money, at least in the area where i live...
i already know a lot of exercises, and now im working on brett mannings program singing success.. i just started it.. and basically im doing exercises for warm ups and then sing some songs...
but do you recommend singing higher range songs or stick to the lower ones?
^ From your post, it sounds like you are confusing exercises with learning technique. Singing exercises is pointless if you are not using the exercises to reinforce technique. It is technique that will change your voice, improve your range, etc.

In order to build your range, you start in the middle and work outwards, being sure to utilize strict and careful technique.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
is there any specific things that alex gaskarth is good at? and how can i get as good as him? i mean what techniques should i master?

Okay, these links worked. I listened to most of the first and third songs here and they only served to confirm what I said in the other thread.

He's just singing. That's it. There are no special techniques here or anything. If he is singing higher than you, it is not because he has any special tricks or gifts. It's just that he has shorter and/or thinner vocal cords than you.

It also confirmed what I heard in the other thread that he is singing very much from his throat. A common by-product of that is the tendency to try to push too much air through them from the lungs in an effort to squeeze those high notes out. The end result is a pinched sound that has a tendency to go sharp - which is exactly what I'm hearing in the one song especially. (the one with the glass block wall behind him)

If he learns to open his throat, and support his breath rather than force it, he will be able to reach those high notes easier and with a fuller tone that is better tuned. He will also put himself less at risk for damaging his vocal cords after six months of touring.

He comes off as a Johnny Rzeznik for a younger generation and almost succeeding. He has the look and the style (both visual and musical), but doesn't quite seem to have the magic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.