hey there,
Im currently looking at buying a new tube amp for about 1500, something that can handle hevay 7 string lows (djent-ish i suppose), as well as enable a great lead tone. im looking for something like Loomis' tone, and right now im currently leaning towards the Line 6 DT25 tube head and cab or the DT50 1x12. I had spent about an hour messing around with a DT 50 and i managed to get a pretty decent tone out of it, but im wondering if there are better options. any suggestions? i have several shows upcoming, so i need something reliable and very gig worthy. thanks in advance!
My Hot Rod Deluxe is a monster.
The 40 watts sounds more like 100 -of course, the performance preamp tubes may be the cause of that.

I don't gig with mine, but I see HRD's a lot when I go see live music.
Mean People Suck.
Do NOT get a 25 watt head for djent or any form of modern metal
Get a high gain head with 50 watts minimum with a tonne of headroom and preamp gain. For that budget there is a crap tonne of options too.. Just go try some amps.
Blackstar HT100!!! And some of the blackstar cabs are decently priced too. Also, nothing wrong with a combo my friend. I swear I've got one of the best tones I've ever heard, and it just took $900 and a shit load of patience!! Also, nothing wrong with used!
Orange Rockerverb 50.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I've heard great things about Blackstars.
That's probably the best suggestion yet.
I'm guessing the HT100 is 100 watts
A 100 watt Blackstar should fit the bill nicely.
Mean People Suck.
i tried something like the hot rod deluxe, and it didnt suit me very well.
and regards to trying out a bunch of amps, i live in eastern canada in a small town, so there's very little in regards to high end amps xD any particular model suggestions?
the HT100 would be nice, but to buy the cab with it would be well over my budget. and if i could find a good used amp, id definately consider!
Quote by JTNorquay
Blackstar HT100!!! And some of the blackstar cabs are decently priced too. Also, nothing wrong with a combo my friend. I swear I've got one of the best tones I've ever heard, and it just took $900 and a shit load of patience!! Also, nothing wrong with used!

yeah, i'm sizing up the blackstar a bit, and i think i want to move away from combos, im no longer a fan of the processed tone - im trying to replace a line 6 spider 3 75. dont get me wrong, i had a great tone on it, pretty Per-Nilson-esque. but ive recently had a love for tube tone, and i found solid state didnt deliver when i turned it up. it kind of just fuzzed out and died, and i lost my low end tone. xD
Quote by EFooteSCH
yeah, i'm sizing up the blackstar a bit, and i think i want to move away from combos, im no longer a fan of the processed tone - im trying to replace a line 6 spider 3 75. dont get me wrong, i had a great tone on it, pretty Per-Nilson-esque. but ive recently had a love for tube tone, and i found solid state didnt deliver when i turned it up. it kind of just fuzzed out and died, and i lost my low end tone. xD

Combos have processed tone...

Wut?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Combos have processed tone...

Wut?

xD i meant the processed signal chain. mah bad.
Nay son, I'm talking about tube combos. You can get some great tube combos comparable to the tone of an all-tube halfstack.
what models do you suggest? thats kind of why im leaning towards a DT50, its 50 watts tube with 4 different wiring options that you can select, sounds a little bit like a Mesa dual rec.
Quote by coolstoryangus
blackstar hts arent all tube.

Actually, I do believe that every single Blackstar HT series amp besides possibly the HT1 or HT5, are all tube.
Quote by JTNorquay
Actually, I do believe that every single Blackstar HT series amp besides possibly the HT1 or HT5, are all tube.

nope they have like 2 preamp tubes there is no wai in hell.
Used ENGL invader?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Egnater Vengeance and a nice 212 (Orange, Mesa, Avatar, etc.) would be great for your needs. Lots of headroom, half watt switch (120/60), nice clean channel, built in mid boost or scoop, and useable reverb. Give it a look.
Y'all don't say that
Quote by coolstoryangus
nope they have like 2 preamp tubes there is no wai in hell.

Could you give me the exact models? Also, Preamp tubes are tubes..
Quote by JTNorquay
Could you give me the exact models? Also, Preamp tubes are tubes..

All the HT series are hybrid amps. It may have a few tubes in the pre-amp, but that doesn't make it an "all valve" amp. All that means is that the pre-amp distortion is driven by a valve.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by EFooteSCH
i tried something like the hot rod deluxe, and it didnt suit me very well.

You tried a HRD? Or something like a HRD?

It's definitely all tube...
It's got three (Groove Tube Gold) 12AX7-r's, two 6L6's, a great tone and loud as f*ck.
(Volume on "2" will make your ears ring and eyes water)
Attachments:
12ax7-r (Gold).jpg
Mean People Suck.
Last edited by Tele1 Kenobi at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Helicopters!
If you've got $1500 you have no reason to look at Blackstar.
This. Or Line 6 (except the Vetta; Meshugga uses them).

For $1500, get a Peavey 6505 and a used Marshall 1960a. That setup should give you more djenty sounds you can ever ask for.

Quote by coolstoryangus
hot rod deluxe for djent?
LOL!
I was thinking the same thing. I've seen worse, though. I've seen people recommend the Classic 30 for Deathcore.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 25, 2011,
I was gonna let the HRD comment slide but...wow. Just because it has t00bz doesn't mean it can do everything ever.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore