I've noticed that the black screws on my guitar are beginning to turn white and corrode. I've opened up the back and the springs looks fine, and the tremolo looks fine also. I think I've caught it pretty early, as the screws are not rusted solid or anything. Is there anything I can do to remove the corrosion and to help prevent it from coming back?

I don't know why they have started to corrode, but I want to prevent this from happening as much as I can, especially to other areas of the guitar. I keep the guitar in its case at all times when I'm not playing it. I also have a few of those moisture absorbing packets in the case (they came in the case when I bought the guitar, I never bothered to take them out), but they've been in there a while and may need to be changed. Is there anything else can I do?
Mine are rusting on my Futura from sweat after 2 years. Does it bother me? Eeeenope. It shows that you love playing the guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
yeah, its just caracter... if you are worried, buy some new screws. everything gets old.
---
Yeah, that's not really helpful. I'm fairly sure that the source of this corrosion isn't because I play it often... because I don't.

It's not about character. I live in a humid environment. On my cheap guitar, the tremolo springs are covered in rust. I mean, absolutely covered. This goes beyond simple character. I'm worried that if I don't do something now, my guitar is actually going to be damaged. I don't want to have to buy a new set of springs and a new tremolo and new screws for my expensive guitar because I refused to take care of it. I don't want to replace all the metal on my guitar.

What can I do to remove the small amount of corrosion that is present, and what can I do to prevent it from building up again?
If you're sure its the humidity of your climate, there isn't much you can do. To take the corrosion off you'll need some light emery paper and go to progressively finer grits and polish the metal to a mirror finish with pumice or 0000 steel wool.

But a more permanent solution is to use galvanised trem springs and use stainless steel screws.

Not much else you can do about it I'm afraid. It won't structurally damage your guitar or anything just as long as the guitar is set up for the high humidity levels.

If you're storing the guitar for long periods in its case, a dehumidifier will slow the corrosion down.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 25, 2011,
Sounds like they are aluminum screws, since aluminum will oxidize white, nothing you can do about that, moisture doesn't affect that process as must as it does steel.

Just buy a package of new screws, they are so cheap it's not even funny.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SCPG2-12/Guitar-Bass-Pick-Guard-Cover-Plate-ScrewsSmall-Black.html

Bam, you're welcome.