Page 1 of 2
Okay, this is a pretty weird story. My brother has learning difficulties so he's in some trust and my mum goes to some dinner/dance with all the parents every year. She sat next to a guy who was selling a Viola. I play Viola and I've been looking for a new one for a while. So we're sitting around the lounge at Christmas today and my mum brings this up and tells me it's a Stradivarius not really knowing what one is. The guy has had it valued at £400 but he thinks the dealer just wanted it off him.

So UG, I want to go and have a look at it. If I'm 50/50 on it being a genuine Stradivarius, should I just take a punt on it? It could be worth thousands D:

tl;dr I might have stumbled onto a rare viola but probably not
Violizzle's are awesome, so what's the hurt? It could be a fun composition tool.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
If in this lifetime, you come across a sweet musical instrument for what appears to be way cheaper than it is actually worth, and you can afford it, buy that shit.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Not knowing anything about Violas I really thought Stradivarius was some sort of rare disease and you might have met a guy with it at this group thing
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I've heard of those and you could be making a very profitable investment... even if you're not sure if it's genuine or not, is £400 a bad price for a non-Stradivarius viola anyway? If it's not genuine and that is the case, you've got a new viola for a normal price, if it is genuine you have a very good bargain on your hands. I say go for it.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
I thought they only had violins?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Just have a look. You said your mum doesn't know what a Stradivarius really is so I doubt it is one.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Just have a look. You said your mum doesn't know what a Stradivarius really is so I doubt it is one.

this.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
There are a lot of duplicates out there that aren't genuine. Look up website descriptions of real ones. They're extremely rare, and incredibly valuable. I highly doubt it is an original, but do some research on it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Yeah, there's only 2 Strad viola's in existence. I'm still intrigued on the make of it though. Because if it's common knowledge that there's only 2 in existence, it might be something else.
Quote by rockingamer2

That's some of the worst logic I've ever heard.

OT: I don't know the going rate for a viola, but I'd at least go check it out. Don't mention how much it should be worth and just look at it as an instrument for that much money regardless of the pedigree.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
When I was learning the violin many years ago, teacher let me have a go on her Stradivarius for a minute.... I was a total beginner- but the tone from those things is amazing!

If you think playing a crappy guitar is bad, through a crappy amp- a bad violin is so much worse.... especially after playing a 400 year old instrument worth more than the family car.

If it was genuine, I'd say buy it, and buy it now!
You can look and play it without buying it - if you like it and it feels worth 400, go for it.

Then again, it is a viola, so I don't know how you feel about funding a $400 hunk of firewood
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
There is almost no chance it is real. Strad violas are very rare (as if the violins weren't rare enough!), you're not just going to stumble on one, especially not for £400. However, it could be a nice viola, in that case £400 might not be a bad price. Pictures?

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Yeah, there's only 2 Strad viola's in existence. I'm still intrigued on the make of it though. Because if it's common knowledge that there's only 2 in existence, it might be something else.

That's not true. There's definitely not more than 20 though. In comparison to several hundred violins.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Dec 25, 2011,
lol TS thought he was going to buy a viola worth millions for £400.

Let's all laugh at him!
lol what if it was a strad and you're passing up a million+$ opportunity tangle

how would you feel
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Aren't Stradivarius instruments actually worth tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars?

EDIT: Ah yes, it seems there's no question anymore
REGGIE
Quote by metaldud536
pfft Dinosaurs weren't green.

Everybody knows they were purple.
I have one in my loft that has a Stradivarius label in it. after getting it valued it turns out that its probably just a fake. they are VERY rare and tbh If you find one going cheap then I'd say its probably a fake aswell =/
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
i can tell your right now it's not a stratavarius
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Does it say "stratovarius" on it?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Carl6661
Chances of it being authentic are stupidly slim, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's worth a shot atleast., if it's a good instrument. Like others have said, it's not really a lot different in price to a normal instrument. There are quite literally millions of fakes out there though.

I think this post sums it up best. Too many fakes, but if it plays well and it's a good price, why not?
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Page 1 of 2