im trying to achieve a big bass sound, and was just wondering what kinds of amps, effects, etc you could suggest. Go!
for recording, 2 bass tracks, one terribly distorted and inaudible and one extremely clean. this is typically for modern metal, but who says it can't work for a 20 piece marimba ensemble
modes are a social construct
bass. i put it here cause of gear and accesories. if its wrong i will change it.
Humm, I don't know if it's wrong, but you'd get much better responses in the Bass forums from the bass guys.

I think the amp and speaker cab matters most. I use a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX which is a monster of an amp, hard to find but they go pretty cheap.
For bass, use 10" speakers and a whole lot of amplification power. You'll need it for the headroom. For recording, there are any number of equalization devices that will enhance your bass to legendary proportions. Try the Aphex Aural Exciter, for one. You can use it live, too, but it can be a bit tricky for some rooms.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Ampeg SVT and 8x10. And a crane to move it all around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I see, then go with what Cath said if you have unlimited money and a crane.

Or you can get a Trace Elliot like mine, a 4x10 with a 1x15(the Trace Elliot RAH350SMX is designed to drive both at the same time, and is 700 watts) or a amp similar to that with the same speaker set up and drive that SOB really loud.

They have one for sell up at the local Guitar Center here in Austin for $250.

But the main idea is to cover your highs, and lows at the same time, to get a thick, aggressive bass tone.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Or you can get a Trace Elliot like mine, a 4x10 with a 1x15(the Trace Elliot RAH350SMX is designed to drive both at the same time, and is 700 watts) or a amp similar to that with the same speaker set up and drive that SOB really loud.

TS, please don't get a 4x10 and a 1x15, it'll wear down the 1x15 over time and isn't efficient at all in terms of output. if you need a second cab, get another 4x10, but one should do for a good while.

another good cab to try is a fEARful, it's a bit DIY but it's a hell of a deal.
Quote by Hail
TS, please don't get a 4x10 and a 1x15, it'll wear down the 1x15 over time and isn't efficient at all in terms of output. if you need a second cab, get another 4x10, but one should do for a good while.

another good cab to try is a fEARful, it's a bit DIY but it's a hell of a deal.

I disagree, a 1x15 is meant to bring out the lows, and that rumble, so of course it's not going to push as much volume as a higher range speaker. It'd be even better with a 1x18, but those are rather large.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I disagree, a 1x15 is meant to bring out the lows, and that rumble, so of course it's not going to push as much volume as a higher range speaker. It'd be even better with a 1x18, but those are rather large.

any decent bass speaker is FRFR
Quote by ethan_hanus
Frfr?

full range frequency response

i guarantee a good 4x10 being driven well will give you the same lows as a 1x15 and louder if you AB them
Quote by Hail
full range frequency response

i guarantee a good 4x10 being driven well will give you the same lows as a 1x15 and louder if you AB them

Yes, but if your 1x15 is of equal quality, it'll do just as good, and cover the low end better. I know 1x15's can cover the bass well because that's all we use on our PA systems, full range speakers and they do bass excellently.

If you can do a quality 4x10 and a quality 1x15, why wouldn't you? To me it makes perfect sense in a live situation, it eliminates the need for a sub in the PA system.

I think the purpose of the 4x10 and 1x15 together is to free up clarity on the 4x10, cause pushing lots of lows though your 4x10 mudds up the higher frequencies regardless of how well designed the speaker is. I know it applies for PA systems, otherwise they'd never use subs for PA systems.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, but if your 1x15 is of equal quality, it'll do just as good, and cover the low end better. I know 1x15's can cover the bass well because that's all we use on our PA systems, full range speakers and they do bass excellently.

they're also a PA main, which is very different from a regular bass cab

If you can do a quality 4x10 and a quality 1x15, why wouldn't you?

equal dispersion to individual cones and pushing more air

I think the purpose of the 4x10 and 1x15 together is to free up clarity on the 4x10, cause pushing lots of lows though your 4x10 mudds up the higher frequencies regardless of how well designed the speaker is. I know it applies for PA systems, otherwise they'd never use subs for PA systems.

PAs have to deal with much higher frequencies than a bass will put out, too, and most subs go below where a bass needs to reasonably go.

i should have clarified, FRFR designed reasonably for a bass setting. unless you're going into low F# territory you'll be fine with 2 4x10s.
Quote by Hail
they're also a PA main, which is very different from a regular bass cab

equal dispersion to individual cones and pushing more air

PAs have to deal with much higher frequencies than a bass will put out, too, and most subs go below where a bass needs to reasonably go.

i should have clarified, FRFR designed reasonably for a bass setting. unless you're going into low F# territory you'll be fine with 2 4x10s.

True...guess I like to do overkill. But how am I supposed to drive two 4x10's with my Trace Elliot when it has 1 1/4th speaker out and a XLR speaker out?